Ref Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Just as an aside with point 3), it shits me to tears when teams get in my ear each and every time there's a foul I'm happy to blow for but I pause for a few seconds to make sure there's no advantage. It also makes them think I'm only calling the foul because of their complaining which doesn't help things.

You cold hearted-bugger, not even checking up on your assistant to see if he's alright? Remind me to never be your assistant, lol. (The first part was also what action is to be taken for the player that collided with your assistant, but considering your answer, you also suggested it was 'Play On.')

The first one assumes he was directly in front jumping about like a looney, but you did get the first one correct.

Third one is correct, it's an error on your part, but what's done is done. It also suggests you should red card him as well.

No red card for the 3rd one as you no longer get a red for denying clear goalscoring opportunities in the box with a foul as the penalty kick restores the goalscoring opportunity.

No red card for the 3rd one as you no longer get a red for denying clear goalscoring opportunities in the box with a foul as the penalty kick restores the goalscoring opportunity.
It isn't that black and white, there are still instances where a red card applies as well which is up to the referee's discretion. From the FA laws:
SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:
  • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the opponents’ goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
  • serious foul play
  • spitting at an opponent or any other person
  • violent conduct
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
  • receiving a second caution in the same match
A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:
  • The offence is holding, pulling or pushing or
  • The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or
  • The offence is one which is punishable by a red card wherever it occurs on the field of play (e.g. serious foul play, violent conduct etc.)
In all the above circumstances the player is sent off.

The following must be considered:
  • distance between the offence and the goal
  • general direction of the play
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • location and number of defenders

So if the referee was of the opinion that the keeper didn't try to play the ball he could still red card him regardless of a penalty being awarded. The rule change was pretty much designed to avoid people being sent off for mistimed and accidental fouls. If it's deliberate then the red card still applies, I'd say the wording of "dragged him down" implies it could have been a deliberate act.

So did East travel on the team bus with arsenal afterwards SM ;)
I hope Mike Dean doesn't officiate another game all season.
Missed a penalty last night but other than that no real howlers.
Mike Dean. Clattenburg = Stevic
I won't hear a bad word about Clattenburg thankyou. Did his bit in our double over City :p
I would have thought he was more Razor Ray anyway. Loves a "look at me" decision.

So did East travel on the team bus with arsenal afterwards SM ;)
Missed a penalty last night but other than that no real howlers.

I won't hear a bad word about Clattenburg thankyou. Did his bit in our double over City :p
I would have thought he was more Razor Ray anyway. Loves a "look at me" decision.

Just watched the Match of the Day highlights, and Shearer was scathing of East. No one can understand how he waves away the pen on Mbokani, and looks like consensus is that Jake shouldn't have been sent off so I hope we appeal. Not to mention the continued warnings for Cazorla which were bizarre - with one he even reaches for his pocket for a card before he realises who it is.

Yeah deliberate handball is a separate offense.

A foul denying a goalscoring opportunity in the box cannot be penalised with a red card any longer.

Of course red cards can still be awarded for serious foul play in the box.
Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:
  • The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or
You can still be sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity if it is a deliberate attempt to foul someone and not just a mistimed tackle, it doesn't have to be serious foul play that would be a red card elsewhere on the pitch.

Just as an aside with point 3), it shits me to tears when teams get in my ear each and every time there's a foul I'm happy to blow for but I pause for a few seconds to make sure there's no advantage. It also makes them think I'm only calling the foul because of their complaining which doesn't help things.

This drives me bonkers as a spectator too when fellow supporters go nuts because they're upset with a free kick not being paid. If it's an obvious foul and there's no free kick my instant reaction is to look at the referee - often they are signalling for advantage for a relatively long time so there's no excuse for missing it.

I'm not much fun to be around when watching sports because I hate it when the people around me are too one-eyed and have ridiculous expectations as to what constitutes a free kick when it's their team they're watching. I was a footy umpire for a while in lower leagues - I would have preferred soccer but I'd seen too many instances of parents pulling out knives at underage games.

You can still be sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity if it is a deliberate attempt to foul someone and not just a mistimed tackle, it doesn't have to be serious foul play that would be a red card elsewhere on the pitch.

Fair enough, I didn't realise there was an exception for fouls where there was no intent of playing the ball. Intent is a bit of a minefield for a ref to decide on. At least it's easy for handball offences - if it denies a goalscoring opportunity it's a red card no ifs or buts.

I think it was East who reffed our game against Everton. Called play on for the most obvious penalty on Stones against Sterling I've ever seen.

campaigner. If it wasn't him I apolo ... no he's still a campaigner.

Man up

I think it was East who reffed our game against Everton. Called play on for the most obvious penalty on Stones against Sterling I've ever seen.

campaigner. If it wasn't him I apolo ... no he's still a campaigner.

I haven't seen the vision but apparently he was visibly chuffed when Arsenal's 3rd and 4th went in which is a bit odd.

Just seen replays of that Sturridge dive, thought it was live but thought maybe the beer goggles and bias were getting the better of me but that is a horrible dive. At 4-1 up what a scummy thing to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SM I believe Moss got it wrong for Everton's goal. Awarded a foul for high boot (which didn't connect) so should've paid an indirect free kick for dangerous play if I was ref.

Lukaku scored directly from the resulting FK.

Haven't seen the replay of it, if true that'd be interesting. I know from personal experience I struggle to remember the distinction when out on the field, so unless it's offside or something like that I just tend to pay a direct FK, but a professional ref should be right on top of that.

Haven't seen the replay of it, if true that'd be interesting. I know from personal experience I struggle to remember the distinction when out on the field, so unless it's offside or something like that I just tend to pay a direct FK, but a professional ref should be right on top of that.

Dangerous play is a high boot without connecting with your opponent. Indirect FK the correct result.

Ref in the Forest-Newcastle game just had the worst game I've ever seen. Two reds that are never reds leading to two penalties, booking players for soft challenges, and just an all round terrible display.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back