Ref Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

In my referee training I have never heard of a different rule regarding goals scored from an unintentional handball. Was told the most important factors are arms being in a natural / unnatural position and whether the player who handled unintentionally was able to avoid ball to hand. I reffed a match once where a keeper attempted a clearance and it rebounded off the striker's arm from a distance of about 1 metre who was closing the keeper down. The striker's arms were in a natural position and there was no way he could have avoided the ball striking his arm so I awarded a goal.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for FIFA to bring in a specific rule which says goals scored from any handball, whether intentional or not do not stand.

Sanchez's hand wasn't in a natural position, it was raised above his head.

I hadn't seen the incident. In that case then I agree it should've been disallowed.

Player ran in with arms out from side - I'll agree that is natural. Player then goes to shoot and has hand raised above head - unnatural. Keeper clears ball into raised hand.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Player ran in with arms out from side - I'll agree that is natural. Player then goes to shoot and has hand raised above head - unnatural. Keeper clears ball into raised hand.

Hmmm. It is natural for your arms to move in the motion of shooting. Beckham's arm movement was especially pronounced.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Had a look at the replay. It's really up to the referee to determine whether their arm position is natural or not. In this case to me it's a grey area so I am comfortable with a goal being awarded but would also understand if the referee blew up and disallowed it.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Amazed this discussion is still going, but yes it was an unfortunate goal. Unlucky to concede a goal in that way, doesn't make it deliberate though.

I do agree that it should be cited as an example for future tweaks to the rule, as it's a very harsh consequence to concede a goal in that fashion.

Last edited:
Some can't seem to be able to see the forest for the trees as my initial point was that the LotG are incredibly poorly worded when the Referees Panel seem to deem this not a goal, yet by the laws it generally would be.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Some can't seem to be able to see the forest for the trees as my initial point was that the LotG are incredibly poorly worded when the Referees Panel seem to deem this not a goal, yet by the laws it generally would be.

Agree that a clear rule should be introduced that states unintentional handballs resulting in a goal should still be penalised. I'm not sure where they got that interpretation from - I have never heard that myself personally. All hand balls are treated the same no matter where they occur on the field according to the present rules.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sad news about Clattenburg, people don't realise it now but we are losing one of the great refs. The Goodison Derby of '07 will live long in the memory.

Amazed this discussion is still going, but yes it was an unfortunate goal. Unlucky to concede a goal in that way, doesn't make it deliberate though.

I do agree that it should be cited as an example for future tweaks to the rule, as it's a very harsh consequence to concede a goal in that fashion.

Exactly. If you're going to blame anything for the Sanchez goal blame the laws of the game, not the referee for implementing them correctly.

Don't hate the player, hate the game etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw it for the first time last night.

Would have been disappointed if it happened to us and was disallowed. But probably disappointed if it happened against us and given.

Don't think it was deliberate, don't really think his arm was in an unnatural position given the circumstances.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...uit-premier-league-to-referee-in-saudi-arabia

:(

z_KXxGf7ZFsTrzCoaaNV1LmMxmeRpfV8zV4RHX4I-6k_3QzYd7c5PegNuhvwU3ZKcQSeTo4SPY1mG3DyWakzxotFvSUdvq3DWjjNdS0_9KRJriIwBOaewv9g=w220-h167-nc

Seriously who gives a **** about a referee going off to Saudi Arabia? It shouldn't even be news ffs. The good referees are low profile and don't make the match all about them.

It's probably the fact it's so rare and is for so much money.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39157887
"The FA wants to test a video assistant referee system from next season's FA Cup third round."

Why not now and why not in the EPL too?

The FA has full control over the FA Cup rules and regulations where as it is only a shareholder in the running of the PL. I guess it has something to do with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back