Ref Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes that's possible. To me in this instance it was Vardys momentum that saw him collected on the follow through. As I said before it Mignolet clears that ball into the stands and Vardy gets cleaned up no chance a foul is given. So it shouldn't really matter how much contact is made on the ball for me as long as it is made. I can see the other side of the argument too meaning it really was a 50/50 call.

I definitely thought that was initially what happened and I was in your camp, I was thinking "He's taken the ball, and Vardy's gone over due to his momentum, that's a great tackle" but then you see the replay and he barely gets the ball and basically just takes Vardy out. Right call for me.

How does this not call into question the integrity of the entire Premier League and its officials?

Clattenburg has basically admitted to cheating to manipulate game(s) into his desired outcomes. This should be front page news on every paper in the UK and everyone should be outraged.

Guy should be banned for life from refereeing again and never allowed within 10 miles of any football stadium. Apart from what he did being highly unethical, he risked players receiving serious injury in that game all because he's an insecure twat. This guy has refereed a CL final and Euro final. Any match he has had his hands near is now tainted.

Rog: I need to ask you this: did a Clattenburg refereed game have a personality, if so, what were its traits?

Clats: There's one game in particular, which was the "Battle of Stamford Bridge." It was Chelsea vs. Tottenham, if was the famous that year Leicester win the title, it was theater. I went in with a gameplan that I didn't want Tottenham Hotspur blaming Mark Clattenburg that they were gonna lose the title. It should've been 3 red cards to Tottenham; I allowed them to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went, "Tottenham lost the title." If I sent 3 players off from Tottenham, what's the headlines? "Clattenburg lost Tottenham the title," and it was pure theater that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester win the title.

Rog: In that game, were the Chelsea players not screaming bloody murder, they're like, "Clattenburg what are you doing we're getting massacred here!"

Clats: It was the first game where Diego Costa never got cautioned (laughs). It was so crazy when you look back at the game but, when Hazard scored to equalize to make it 2-2 I've never felt an atmosphere in a stadium before like that before, because of Chelsea had stopped one of the enemies winning the title.

Rog: In a way you scripted it.

Clats: ...I helped the game, I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing. Some referees would have played by the book and Tottenham would have been down to 7 or 8 players and probably lost, and Tottenham would've been looking for an excuse but I didn't give them an excuse, because me gameplan was let them lose the title.

Rog: Listening to this, I was like, "Wow, Mark Clattenburg, even crazier than Diego Costa" (Clats laughs) that is saying something, but you've said, "I want games to be a spectacle," and hearing you talk about the Battle of Stamford Bridge, is that the referee's job or is it really down to the players?

Clats: I think we're all part of theater. That's why the Premier League is the best league in the world. Its assisted by the best players, the best referees, the best coaches, and we've all got a duty to make sure the game's enhanced. The English style of refereeing is different; I had to referee differently when I went into Europe than I did in the Premier League because none of the top players in Europe would accept some of the physical contact that went on in the Premier League - but that was the theater, that's what people loved. They love a tackle, they don't want it punished.

Rog: You pride yourself on man-management, its a phrase that comes up in conversation with you over and over, talking to the players rather than cautioning them, as you've said, you occasionally famously called them "mate" on the field. How do the players react to that? Do they really want to reciprocate and get on with the referee?

Clats: Gotta know the right time, that what's experience. Some young referees will try to speak to players too much and players sometimes don't want them to speak. I remember refereeing Ashley Cole. Speaking to Ashley Cole at the wrong time when he was going through things with his head (garbled) doing some tactics. But there were good times to speak to Ashley Cole, when he was calm and he was ready to get on with. Speaking to the player at the wrong time can have a bad effect.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ref-watch.1145549/

And why are you so worked up about that? Plenty of refs take into account the ramifications on the game, rightly or wrongly. Moomba has spoken before about the fact a red card tackle in the third minute should be given a red, regardless of the time into the match, but refs are very conscious of irreparably altering a match and would rather be cautious.

Because he refused to rightfully send Tottenham players off as he was afraid he'd get the blame for them losing the title. These weren't 50/50 incidents. They were clear wrong decisions. There is no nuance here.

And for all his bullshit about 'letting them lose the title themselves,' Spurs actually could have won the ******* game and went on a run to the title. He would have caused that by refereeing the game unfairly.

It's borderline matchfixing. Not for money, but for his own ego and to create a media narrative.

Last edited:
Because he refused to rightfully send Tottenham players off because he was afraid he'd get the blame for them losing the title. These weren't 50/50 incidents. They were clear wrong decisions. There is no nuance here.

And for all his bullshit about 'letting them lose the title themselves,' Spurs actually could have won the ******* game and went on a run to the title. He would have caused that by refereeing the game unfairly.

It doesn't really read as being afraid to, more not wanting to give them excuses. He probably went too far in that game, but what's done is done and he doesn't even ref in England anymore.

Because he refused to rightfully send Tottenham players off as he was afraid he'd get the blame for them losing the title. These weren't 50/50 incidents. They were clear wrong decisions. There is no nuance here.

It's borderline matchfixing. Not for money, but for his own ego and to create a media narrative.
Would have also been interesting if one of those players that should have been sent off had have badly injured a Chelsea player in a subsequent tackle (which wasn't beyond the realms of possibility given how the game was going). Wonder how Clattenberg would have felt if his decision not to give a red card potentially contributed towards the end of someones career?

Good riddance.
Need to change my Other Teams now.

Hope he didn't take my efforts to destroy him too seriously.

best-simpsons-american-list-12.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought you were kidding at first but that is the rumour going around.

Is there actually evidence of this? Seems like a sick thing to just make up about somebody.

You wanna see the video?

You wanna see the video?
Not personally. I just want to know there's a reason these things are being said about the guy. He might have been a useless referee but he still doesn't deserve rumours like that being spread about him.

Unless there is proof of course and then he deserves all the condemnation that will come his way.

Not personally. I just want to know there's a reason these things are being said about the guy. He might have been a useless referee but he still doesn't deserve rumours like that being spread about him.

Unless there is proof of course and then he deserves all the condemnation that will come his way.

Well it sounds like he's quitting and moving so sounds true.

Does it? Just because a guy has quit and then moved doesn't mean he's been ******* dogs.

Seems an incredibly long bow to draw.

Time will tell but if it's baseless, it's a horrific thing to have spread about him.

Yeah I'm sure there's a completely unrelated reason he's just decided to quit without warning and uproot his family and move.

Yeah I'm sure there's a completely unrelated reason he's just decided to quit without warning and uproot his family and move.
Why not? That seems more likely than him ******* dogs in his spare time.

A quick search on Twitter and a fair few people are claiming to have seen the video.

But with no video on twitter supposedly. When it was Kyle Walker and his Mrs, there was an actual video.

It wouldn't be like people to lie on social media to try and grab attention. Twitter is a cesspool, it's not surprising it's spread like wildfire on there.

Why not? That seems more likely than him ******* dogs in his spare time.

But with no video on twitter supposedly. When it was Kyle Walker and his Mrs, there was an actual video.

It wouldn't be like people to lie on social media to try and grab attention. Twitter is a cesspool, it's not surprising it's spread like wildfire on there.

Dunno why you're so desperate to defend him. The articles discussing his departure talk about the fact there's a video on social media but don't go so far as to draw the link. If they're confirming the video exists....

Dunno why you're so desperate to defend him. The articles discussing his departure talk about the fact there's a video on social media but don't go so far as to draw the link. If they're confirming the video exists....
I'm not desperate. I just believe in the thinking of innocent until proven. So far, no one has actually proved a video exists. The rumour has spread due to the nature of what's been accused.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back