Analysis Reform ideas for the All Australian team

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
So, it has been happening for a while now, but the 2020 All Australian team is a joke.

One genuine small forward named, with Dangerfield, Martin and Bontempelli named as the other forwards, leaving Tom Papley and Dan Butler to miss out.

On the wings, McCluggage, Gaff and other genuine wingman are neglected to shoe-horn even more mids into the team. The All Australian team is meant to honor the best players in each position, however it is now becoming a way to once again honor midfielders.
I believe reform has long been needed.

My idea:
Players nominated in the AA squad of 40 are assigned a position upon nomination, specifically forward, midfield or defender.
Ideally these would be selected and the positions assigned by an independent body than the people who pick the actual 22.

The breakdown would be as follows
Min. 10 forwards
Min. 10 defender
Min. 15 midfield (includes ruck)
5 loose spots that can be used on any position. For example you might have 2 mids and 2 defenders this year due to the strength of defensive nominations.

Then when they select the 22, they can only pick players in the position they are nominated (forward, midfield or back) with the bench acting as a spill over for any position. I.E if Bont or Dusty are selected as midfielders, they cant be shoe horned onto the half forward flank etc but can be named on the bench if they dont crack the midfield.

This might mean some good players might miss out if it is a particularly deep year in any position, it would ensure integrity ofthe process.

Just an idea, would be good to see other ideas?

Its hard.

Do you put in a player who hasn't had a standout year just because you need to get the balance right? or do you put in the best players because they had great years?

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Its hard.

Do you put in a player who hasn't had a standout year just because you need to get the balance right? or do you put in the best players because they had great years?
I refuse to believe that there arent 6 high quality forwards and defenders over the entire competition in any given year.

guapo

All Australian
Aug 24, 2005
fitzroy
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
To just an AFL marketing tool - everybody knows that Dangerfield, Bont, NikNat etc get in before the season even begins. Dangerfield will finish his career with more AA’s than Carey, Mathews, Ablett Snr etc, not sure he fits that echelon of footballer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2005
North Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
australia
I refuse to believe that there arent 6 high quality forwards and defenders over the entire competition in any given year.
If the top midfielders stayed forward, they would be the best forwards perhaps.
Gary Ablett in his prime would be the best small forward ever. Fyfe would have the most marks in the game etc etc

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
So, it has been happening for a while now, but the 2020 All Australian team is a joke.

One genuine small forward named, with Dangerfield, Martin and Bontempelli named as the other forwards, leaving Tom Papley and Dan Butler to miss out.

On the wings, McCluggage, Gaff and other genuine wingman are neglected to shoe-horn even more mids into the team. The All Australian team is meant to honor the best players in each position, however it is now becoming a way to once again honor midfielders.
I believe reform has long been needed.

My idea:
Players nominated in the AA squad of 40 are assigned a position upon nomination, specifically forward, midfield or defender.
Ideally these would be selected and the positions assigned by an independent body than the people who pick the actual 22.

The breakdown would be as follows
Min. 10 forwards
Min. 10 defender
Min. 15 midfield (includes ruck)
5 loose spots that can be used on any position. For example you might have 2 mids and 2 defenders this year due to the strength of defensive nominations.

Then when they select the 22, they can only pick players in the position they are nominated (forward, midfield or back) with the bench acting as a spill over for any position. I.E if Bont or Dusty are selected as midfielders, they cant be shoe horned onto the half forward flank etc but can be named on the bench if they dont crack the midfield.

This might mean some good players might miss out if it is a particularly deep year in any position, it would ensure integrity ofthe process.

Just an idea, would be good to see other ideas?

They seem to want to follow US sport so why not take the NBA style First / Second team like Mitch Robinson suggested?

Select 44 players for the squad, then they make a first & second team out of it. With some kind of positional balance required.

There were probably 10 high quality defenders this year and very few forwards who had really good consistent years

Change the name of the MVP too.

Neale is deserving of the MVP. But
Is he actually the MVP? he has had the best year no doubt and should win the Brownlow . However I believe he is the the best player this year and not the MVP. Nic Nat is more valuable, Martin, Dangerfield, Hawkins.
Should change the name of this award.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
I think that at a minimum, any player listed as a forward needs to be at or near 1.5 goals per game.
Suppose this year isn't as bad as around 2005/6 where one of the forwards didn't break 10 for the season

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
The squad must be picked according to category i.e. small forwards, KP forwards, small defenders, KP defenders, wings, ruck, onball; or some such structure. Once selected in that category for the squad, you can't be shifted to another category when the team is selected (interchange aside obviously).

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Change the name of the MVP too.

Neale is deserving of the MVP. But
Is he actually the MVP? he has had the best year no doubt and should win the Brownlow . However I believe he is the the best player this year and not the MVP. Nic Nat is more valuable, Martin, Dangerfield, Hawkins.
Should change the name of this award.
Yes he is, As decided by AFL coaches and by players.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
They seem to want to follow US sport so why not take the NBA style First / Second team like Mitch Robinson suggested?

Select 44 players for the squad, then they make a first & second team out of it. With some kind of positional balance required.
I'd go a step further:
2 panels
Schoolyard style team selection - 22 players & 3 emergencies each = 50 nominated players (picked after the season ends but before finals)
Both teams play each other on the public holiday Friday of Grand Final week (obviously grand finalists omitted from game) - would need some to substitute if all emergencies exhausted.
Winning team is All Australian

Well they did pick seven guys who were basically full-time defenders.

I agree three forwards is too few, but this year actually did have a lack of high-quality forwards. Like they should've picked another FP but I can't really think of anyone who had an elite year largely playing off HFF. Gunston perhaps but they still need another one. 3 FP's would've been as silly as picking midfielders as the extra forward.

I'm not really defending the AA selectors approach. Picking both Dangerfield and Bontempelli off the HFF was stupid. Nevertheless, it's quite easy to see why there wasn't 6 high quality full-time forwards this year.

Firstly I'd do away with announcing the AA40 and simply just name the AA team where you don't need to have an awards night.

Secondly,

pick the teams based on a set team criteria, for example:
7 defender - 6 starters and an interchange player
4 forwards - 2 KPF & 2 full time small/medium forwards
2 rucks - 1 starter & 1 interchange
2 wingers
4 midfielders - 3 on the field 1 interchange
3 utilities - those who play a combination of midfield/forward or midfield/defender

In picking the team like that, you're making the award more prestigious as you're not just squeezing in a bunch of midfielders to positions that they rarely play.

To acknowledge the performances of players across the year then announce 2 teams similar to the NBA with their All NBA first team & second teams.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
To just an AFL marketing tool - everybody knows that Dangerfield, Bont, NikNat etc get in before the season even begins. Dangerfield will finish his career with more AA’s than Carey, Mathews, Ablett Snr etc, not sure he fits that echelon of footballer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carey was pretty much restricted to 1 position, CHF, for his selections.

All of Matthew's career was played in the era when the AA team was done after carnivals which might be once every 4 years.

More than 50% of Ablett's career was played in the era before they had the annual AA like the do now.

I guess someone like Danger can be picked as a ruck rover, rover, centreman, wingman, hff or interchange it seems. Much more opportunity and frequency for him.

I don't think Danger should have been in this year's team. Naitanui would be first picked.

Back