Strategy Regaining Control of our Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Its funny how we fork out $10-15 million bucks a year to be members of this club but have no real say in it.

Its not funny.
We would be better represented as shareholders in a business. But unfortunately, we are "customers" rather than "shareholders".

For a Supporters Trust to have real influence and power, it has to effectively be a Future Fund independent of the club.

The AFL is all about $$$ and are control freaks. $$$ is the best way to take away power from them.

If a Supporters Trust had say $20-30m of (net) assets and regularly was contributing $1m to the club via its profits distribution each year, it could then negotiate with the board and executive team, effectively as a major sponsor. It also gives the AFL confidence that if it handed back control, those assets would be used to keep the club solvent.

Membership numbers give a Supporters Trust influence, $$$ give it power, given how the AFL runs things.

Lockhart Road Power Raid

The crows constitution was approved by the AFL and they are handing back all their powers on 31st October 2028. 2028 is the year of the last instalment of 15, to the SANFL for the purchase of sub licence by both the crows and Port. We don't have the following clauses in our constitution. Probably because the AFL questions our financial strength.

56. AFL Licence
(a) The terms of the Licence Agreement prevail to the extent of any inconsistency between this constitution and the Licence Agreement.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of this constitution, until the Development Grant Completion Date this constitution may not be amended in any way unless the relevant amendment has been approved by the AFL in its absolute discretion. Each resolution seeking or approving an amendment to this constitution will by virtue of this clause be conditional on the approval of the AFL.

58. Definitions
Development Grant Completion Date means 31 October 2028 (or such earlier time as the AFC and the AFL agree);

Those clauses are to be read in conjunction with the following
7. Members
7.1 Classes of Membership
The AFC will consist of the following classes of Members:
(a) AFL
The AFL, who through its delegate will have the right to attend, debate and vote at general meetings for and on behalf of the AFL.

(b) Life Members
The Board may from time to time and in its absolute discretion nominate a Member to become a life member of the AFC, including any player of the AFC who has, in the opinion of the Board, rendered special service to the AFC or to football (Life Member).

(c) Electing Member A person who:
(i) will be 18 years of age or older as at the date of completing the Membership Application;
(ii) has completed and submitted the current Membership Application and complied with all other applicable application and renewal procedures required by the AFC from time to time; and
(iii) has paid the applicable Membership Fee, may be admitted by the Board as an electing member (Electing Member).

(d) Other Classes of Membership & Variations to Existing Classes
(i) Subject to the Corporations Act and clause 7.1(d)(ii), the Board in its absolute discretion has the right to establish other classes of membership, or vary existing classes of membership, from time to time.
(ii) The Board may not amend any of the rights of the AFL before the Development Grant Completion Date without the prior consent of the AFL.

7.2 Cessation of AFL Membership
(a) The AFL will cease to be a Member on the Development Grant Completion Date.

(b) From the Development Grant Completion Date, the Board may grant all of the rights held by the AFL to any other class of Member that is in existence on the Development Grant Completion Date or is otherwise established by the Board.

(c) If the Board does not grant the rights of the AFL Voting Member to another class or classes, the Board will grant all of the rights held by the AFL to the Electing Members.

8. Membership Rights

Members have the following rights (according to the class of Membership they belong to):
(a) The AFL, through its delegate, is entitled to attend, speak and vote at any general meeting of the AFC.

Attached is the crows constitution and ours for comparison

Attachments

• Adelaide Football Club Limited Constitution (effective Sept 2014).pdf
    480.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Port Adelaide Football Club Limited Constitution (Effective Nov 2013).pdf
    156.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Either that or there would have to be a genuine fear from the clubs perspective that if they don't listen any PAFC members association members would not renew on mass.

It is like the players association. They only have power because they can threaten to boycott.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

For a Supporters Trust to have real influence and power, it has to effectively be a Future Fund independent of the club.

The AFL is all about $$$ and are control freaks. $$$ is the best way to take away power from them.

If a Supporters Trust had say $20-30m of (net) assets and regularly was contributing $1m to the club via its profits distribution each year, it could then negotiate with the board and executive team, effectively as a major sponsor. It also gives the AFL confidence that if it handed back control, those assets would be used to keep the club solvent.

Membership numbers give a Supporters Trust influence, $$$ give it power, given how the AFL runs things.

Lockhart Road Power Raid

The crows constitution was approved by the AFL and they are handing back all their powers on 31st October 2028. 2028 is the year of the last instalment of 15, to the SANFL for the purchase of sub licence by both the crows and Port. We don't have the following clauses in our constitution. Probably because the AFL questions our financial strength.

56. AFL Licence
(a) The terms of the Licence Agreement prevail to the extent of any inconsistency between this constitution and the Licence Agreement.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of this constitution, until the Development Grant Completion Date this constitution may not be amended in any way unless the relevant amendment has been approved by the AFL in its absolute discretion. Each resolution seeking or approving an amendment to this constitution will by virtue of this clause be conditional on the approval of the AFL.

58. Definitions
Development Grant Completion Date means 31 October 2028 (or such earlier time as the AFC and the AFL agree);

Those clauses are to be read in conjunction with the following

Attached is the crows constitution and ours for comparison

I will read the constitutions tonight but just flag, changes in the home front have reduced my capacity in the short term

However I do have one opportunity which will cost $15m now, $500m (50% funded by govt) but deliver $2b-$4b per annum. Perhaps this could be a part of the concept.

Either that or there would have to be a genuine fear from the clubs perspective that if they don't listen any PAFC members association members would not renew on mass.

It is like the players association. They only have power because they can threaten to boycott.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
The majority of members would be spooked by a Supporters Trust threatening the club with them not to renew on mass. Its easier to get the majority of 800 players and the higher paid ones on board, than the majority of 50-60,000 members.

You need all member categories behind it, but just like the AFLPA uses the highest paid and highest profile players to lock in their bargaining position, same would be needed with getting the backing of current coterie group members and ambassadors backing a Supporters Trust in its general approach.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The majority of members would be spooked by a Supporters Trust threatening the club with them not to renew on mass. Its easier to get the majority of 800 players and the higher paid ones on board, than the majority of 50-60,000 members.

You need all member categories behind it, but just like the AFLPA uses the highest paid and highest profile players to lock in their bargaining position, same would be needed with getting the backing of current coterie group members and ambassadors backing a Supporters Trust in its general approach.
I agree this logistics are impractical.

I dont think it would need to be a majority though.

If you had 20% of the membership on board it would be enough to spook the club. If you focused on a few select issues that a decent subset of the membership felt passionately about (like BBTB, one captain, changing back the reason we exist etc.) then it might be possible.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree this logistics are impractical.

I dont think it would need to be a majority though.

If you had 20% of the membership on board it would be enough to spook the club. If you focused on a few select issues that a decent subset of the membership felt passionately about (like BBTB, one captain, changing back the reason we exist etc.) then it might be possible.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
20% = 10,000 members. That still is a hell of a lot of people to convince.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Bomber is on the money with expanding the campaign of the BBTB to highlight further elements of our club. This includes member elected board, traditions of success being maintained, the focus on winning, and basically returning to a Port Adelaide that once encouraged its members to be vocal so that the club was accountable. However, I really think that it can't be something that is threatening to those currently at the club, otherwise this board will quash it. Thus, I believe it has to be a campaign that is partnered by past players and club figureheads.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
I will read the constitutions tonight but just flag, changes in the home front have reduced my capacity in the short term

However I do have one opportunity which will cost $15m now, $500m (50% funded by govt) but deliver $2b-$4b per annum. Perhaps this could be a part of the concept.
Sounds unbelievably fantastic :D

Without financial clout, either through subs or a valid threat to withhold membership payments, the voice wont be heard loudly enough.

The first is difficult, the second is almost impossible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A few questions. What criteria would we use to appoint a director? How long should a director be on the board? What assessment should take place on board and director performance? Otherwise we are just reacting to gut feel.

I also keep thinking at least a portion of the board need to be wealthy and/or bring growth to the club with connections.

I like the Darren Cahill appointment as he is a global leader in coaching elite athletes and has access to the best contacts in the field of elite sports. He is a perfect director for the football side of the business.

here is my wish list (a majority need to have had or been PAFC supporters, to get the culture)

- An ex AFL coach
- 2 ex CEO’s
- A CFO
- A lawyer
- An elite level digital/marketing guru
- A start up successful person who has made a boat load of money
- Darren Cahill
- An experienced talent manager in football
- An ex player who has had business success

Just brainstorming

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
- An ex AFL coach or successful Footy Ops Manager
- An ex CEO preferably with a sports background
- A CFO
- A lawyer
- A top level accountant
- An elite level digital/marketing guru (head of the Marketing group covers this)
- 2 x start up successful persons who have each made a huge boat load of money
- Darren Cahill
- An experienced talent manager in football (Footy Dept covers this)
- A high profile person conversant in Asian language and with significant contacts in the region to oversee the China connection portfolio

Power Plus

Team Captain
Nov 9, 2018
Morphett Vale
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
tumblr_okrb497GMi1w2pdh2o1_500 (1).png

What on earth did you think the point of this terrible post was?

If your response to PAFC supporters discussing ways to improve the PAFC is 'get over it', then maybe a PAFC supporters football forum isn't the place for you.

A few questions. What criteria would we use to appoint a director? How long should a director be on the board? What assessment should take place on board and director performance? Otherwise we are just reacting to gut feel.

I also keep thinking at least a portion of the board need to be wealthy and/or bring growth to the club with connections.

I like the Darren Cahill appointment as he is a global leader in coaching elite athletes and has access to the best contacts in the field of elite sports. He is a perfect director for the football side of the business.

here is my wish list (a majority need to have had or been PAFC supporters, to get the culture)

- An ex AFL coach
- 2 ex CEO’s
- A CFO
- A lawyer
- An elite level digital/marketing guru
- A start up successful person who has made a boat load of money
- Darren Cahill
- An experienced talent manager in football

Just brainstorming

never have a lawyer on a board

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is the exact definition of a "happy clapper"

Never striving to be better
Never questioning the club
Happy with Status Quo

We should ALWAYS be striving to be better and continuously improving and we as members of the club should always be demanding the club does these things

Yeh, good governance is very ovverrated.:rolleyes:

good governance does not require a lawyer

lawyers are just a tool you hire by the hour for review of situations and decisions. To do that they must be independent.

Further most lawyers are not commercial, lack perspective, lack operational experience and rarely can't identify the key issues. They get too bogged down and addicted to 6 minute billing cycles and why can't rather than solutions driven.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
good governance does not require a lawyer

lawyers are just a tool you hire by the hour for review of situations and decisions. To do that they must be independent.

Further most lawyers are not commercial, lack perspective, lack operational experience and rarely can't identify the key issues. They get too bogged down and addicted to 6 minute billing cycles and why can't rather than solutions driven.

Mutha F

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
About the only way we are going to regain control is to have a street rally and a speaker to stir the mob up so that we storm the citadel and occupy the Chairman's chair. Maybe we could make up some fake news and get the crowd angry? Make Port Great Again, hmmm has a nice ring to it. :rolleyes:
Black and white "make port great again" caps should definitely become a thing 🤣
Screenshot_2021-01-19-17-11-10-70.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back