Running/Fitness Regaining Fitness

Dukes Of Hurley

Team Captain
Sep 27, 2011
Melborune
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey guys,
Decided to take a break from football this year to focus on year 12 and my other commitments, and i've become really unfit.
During the previous years I was quite fit, but obviously because of the lack of exercise and poor eating habits, I've put on a few kilos and have lost basically all of my fitness

School basketball is around 5-6 weeks away and im really keen to be fit for that,
Just wanting any tips at all that would help me regain my fitness, aside from the obvious things like start exercising more

Cheers fellas:thumbsu:

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Fitness Training

Hey guys I've had a shocking run with illness and fitness and on the weekend struggled to run more than 25-30 metres without being totally out of breath. I'm trying to get back to the gym this week, and the program I was doing last year I had good results with (Starting stregnth program) however I don't think this is the right program to do if one is trying to improve their fitness.

Overall I'm looking for opinions on fitness training (i.e running/cycling) combined with work in the gym.

fairdinkum

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Road to nowhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hillsprints. I swear by them.

If you live near any steep streets, find one and make it your own.

There is one near me I call the 'Hill from Hell'. I try to get there three times per week.

I run up, walk back down to the start, and do this over again. Lately I've done six per session.

I've been doing this for a few months and the results have been most rewarding.

I've been timing myself lately and my pb for this hill (from my set starting point to my set finishing point) is <34s. I reckon when I first started it would have been closer to 40s. Obviously even now by the fifth and sixth runs I am pushing up towards 40s, the first couple per session knacker you very quickly.

Can't recommend highly enough.

:thumbsu:

Dukes Of Hurley

Team Captain
Sep 27, 2011
Melborune
AFL Club
Essendon

There is one near me I call the 'Hill from Hell'. I try to get there three times per week.

I run up, walk back down to the start, and do this over again. Lately I've done six per session.

I've been timing myself lately and my pb for this hill (from my set starting point to my set finishing point) is <34s. I reckon when I first started it would have been closer to 40s. Obviously even now by the fifth and sixth runs I am pushing up towards 40s, the first couple per session knacker you very quickly.

Thanks mate!

Luckily for me, my house sits on top of a 70m hill thats really steep! I used to do laps around the block and sprint all the way up the hill and i found that was killer!

I'll start doing repeat sprints of it, cheers for the idea:thumbsu:

fairdinkum

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Road to nowhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hope you do.

:):thumbsu:

Get a stopwatch (mine cost $15) and try to beat your previous effort each time. It forces you to put in even harder yards than you otherwise would. Each time I beat my pb I'm like, '**** yeah man' before I double over and wonder wtf I am doing to myself.

And don't worry if you get a few locals staring as you struggle past up the hill. If it as steep as my Hell Hill, most of them couldn't even walk up it without losing breath and will admire your dedication to do the tough stuff.

I've even had people come up and praise me after seeing me run up my hill. Feelsgoodman.jpg

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood

I used to do this when traveling, especially in Perth where they have something called Jacobs Ladder.
This is an awesome set of steps that really pushes you.
I miss it now I don't travel for work anymore.

Alton

Draftee
May 1, 2012
USA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hello guys,..
If you want to regain the fitness.Its not impossible because if you follow the
some tips then you can get the regaining fitness.For example running,jogging,
morning walk and gym work is the best solution to keep good fitness.

I used to do this when traveling, especially in Perth where they have something called Jacobs Ladder.
This is an awesome set of steps that really pushes you.
I miss it now I don't travel for work anymore.

Jacobs Ladder = Hell.

I climbed table mountain a few times in the summer whilst I was in South Africa, nothing has ever come close to that.

But yes, I am one that supports hill sprints.

fairdinkum

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Road to nowhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I climbed table mountain a few times in the summer whilst I was in South Africa, nothing has ever come close to that.

Unfortunately I only got to do this once when in Cape Town. Still, an awesome run, and an amazing view from the top. Weird to think that several people per year die on it, though.

I was in SA for four months, two of those in CT. Such a beautiful place. One time there was an African woman who i'd seen before so I stopped to speak to her and she was on her third (THIRD!) climb for the day.

Yeah a guy died whilst I was there. And another one thought it was a great idea to jump from the top in one of those flying suit things. He failed. Still lived though!

EDIT: Not entirely sure that me saying there was an African woman in South Africa narrows it down too much...

cammo6556

Cancelled
10k Posts Baghdad Bombers - Sweet F.A. BeanCoiNFT Investor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Oct 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
ok so here's my situation. Ive never been supremely aerobically fit, but got by through games of basketball, cricket etc, but was never a gut runner. After a crappy run with health and everything, ive lost about 25kg's but am wanting to get my fitness level back up to scratch, or even beyond where it was. Im really time poor but can always squeeze in a workout here and there.

So i read that hill sprints are a winner. That would kill me but ill certainly keep it in mind as I live at the top of a huge hill.

Is there anything else I can do to budge the remaining 25kgs and get my fitness back asap?

lysp

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
If you want to start running from scratch perhaps do a structured program.

Couch 2 k5 is a good starting program which will have 3 runs per week for 10-12 weeks. That should give you a decent base. After that you can start mixing it up a bit.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Im about to really start running seriously or doing any kind of cardio to really build up a strong fitness base in a hope to get back to high level footy next year.

For me you need a stop watch, need a plan and need to measure HRs continuosly to see improvements. People also get bored very quickly from doing one activity or one run, so you need to find variety.

To gain fitness you really need to get that HR up around 70-90% of HR max. Im going to really start timing what my resting HRs and peak HRs are when training ect.

Id recommend interval work. Takes less time and you get a bit more from it. Its good to get a solid base of doing 5-6 weeks of doing longer stuff 2-5kms + that also helps with injuries ect. Then increase HR and start doing hills, swims, interval ect

cammo6556

Cancelled
10k Posts Baghdad Bombers - Sweet F.A. BeanCoiNFT Investor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Oct 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
If you want to start running from scratch perhaps do a structured program.

Couch 2 k5 is a good starting program which will have 3 runs per week for 10-12 weeks. That should give you a decent base. After that you can start mixing it up a bit.
thanks cfol. ill look it up...

cammo6556

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Found the link:
http://www.c25k.com/

If you download one of the musical podcasts made for it you dont need to think. Just run during the fast music, walk during the slow music.

Or there are also phone apps that will alert you when you need to change pace.
Not thinking. That's right up my alley.

Thanks. I think I'll get downloading tonight and started tomorrow!

Skipping is a great low impact cardio improver as well.

Skipping as exercise

Skipping is an activity not only suited for competition or recreation, but also for a cardiovascular workout, similar to jogging or bicycle riding. This aerobic exercise can achieve a "burn rate" of up to 700 calories per hour of vigorous activity, with about 0.1 calories consumed per jump. Ten minutes of jumping rope is roughly the equivalent of running an eight-minute mile. Jumping rope for 15–20 minutes is enough to burn off the calories from a candy bar.[1]
Skipping can avoid the knee damage which may occur during running, since the impact of each jump or step is absorbed by both legs.[citation needed] Skipping also helps strengthen the arms and shoulders.

Jacobs Ladder = Hell.

But yes, I am one that supports hill sprints.
Perth people and their love of Jacobs ladder. Great if u have a cute PT you want to chase. For effort head East to the hills for serious steep inclines that go on for several kilometers
That is hard work not for the yuppie snot faces

Back