Analysis Regardless of this week's result, we've had an amazing season

Remove this Banner Ad

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m very satisfied with this season should we win this weekend. If we lose and make finals though I’ll look back and feel that slight twinge of ‘what could have been’ despite the improvement.

Lachie Hunter on Freesom In A Cage this week talked about the importance in the balance of midfield and forwards in the side specifically talking about a smaller midfield cohort and 5 natural forwards in the forward line instead of resting mids.

The balance of 5 inside mids (bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Smith, lipinski) with 5 natural forwards (Naughton, Schache, Lloyd, Dickson, Dale) is so solid and it’s a massive shame it wasn’t established earlier in the season.

That round 5 carlton game was such a ******* disaster. Hayes and Young in as debutants and Libba playing most of the game in the forward line was such bad preparation. We win that and we’re playing stress free footy this week and gearing up for what could be a really exciting shot at the finals.

You were, but not the upper circle. Not bad.

The only ones who tipped 12 H&A wins (if that's how it ends up) were Kermit and Libba39 . They were the other two (in addition to you) who said we'd finish 8th.

The only one to pick us for 7th (if that's how it ends up) was TempletonTheRat .

I think I tipped 13 wins though

If we don't make it, I personally can't be disappointed as we've won a few more games than what I realistically expected.
I'd also understand if we do miss from here, that it will light a fire in the bellies of all the players as the last couple of months has set a new standard for everyone.

Every chance we make the finals, every chance we go out in week 1 with a likely packed pro-Collingwood MCG. But I'd rather have a chance than no chance, September footy is the best footy

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we don't make it, I personally can't be disappointed as we've won a few more games than what I realistically expected.
I'd also understand if we do miss from here, that it will light a fire in the bellies of all the players as the last couple of months has set a new standard for everyone.

Every chance we make the finals, every chance we go out in week 1 with a likely packed pro-Collingwood MCG. But I'd rather have a chance than no chance, September footy is the best footy
Pies would have to lose this week against the Bombers for that match up to happen (v us at the G week 1). Seems unlikely but I'm going along on Friday night hoping it does...but not barracking for the Bombres

Pies would have to lose this week against the Bombers for that match up to happen (v us at the G week 1). Seems unlikely but I'm going along on Friday night hoping it does...but not barracking for the Bombres

Oh forgot about the percentage thing, bring on GWS again with a pro Bulldog crowd! House of Pain? Stadium of Silence.

We've gone from being a potential bottom 4 side and having Bevo under pressure,

Mate, it was only 3 or 4 weeks ago that over here in the West, the press were comparing Bevo and Lyon, basically lamenting how/why Lyon was under pressure and Bevo had been given a contract extension!

[Effectively suggesting the teams were similar in every single way.]

LOL. Remarkable!

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
There is nothing wrong with Wally's opinion, it is his opinion. He is also allowed to be proud of the group.

If we fail to make the finals now, I would say the season itself is a failure as we have not taken the opportunity presented.

In saying that, if the momentum since the bye is carried forward to the next year and we consolidate as challengers then the year could certainly be looked upon as one where the newer group of players began their journey back up to where we all thought we would be, but were not due to varying reasons, after 2016.

It appears as if our gamestyle, coaching including assistants, and players are starting to come together. It appeared a little that way last year, however what was shown it was a small body of evidence that demonstrated this, whereas this year the body of evidence is longer and stronger. The season goes for 23 weeks and the first 11 weeks were poor. We lost to Gold Coast, Carlton and North at home and even St Kilda was at our home ground later in the year.

Ultimately, we are a professional football team and the only indicator of success is wins and losses and the only indicator of an amazing season is significant improvement on the year before if you have not played finals or maintaining consistency if you are a top 4 club.

IF we do make the finals yes I will be proud off the group like Wally. IF we do not I will merely be disappointed the group were not be able to take the opportunity but would hold judgement on the year until a decent body of work next season
WE WILL MAKE THE FINALS FOR F@@@S SAKE. LOT TO be optimistic ABOUT. We will have a comfortable win this sunday, the adelaide coach has not been sacked.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Missing finals would really sting after how we played our first 6 rounds, especially wasting Dunkley as a forward. But either way, I'm excited for the 2020 flag that we're guaranteed to win
L<et us win this year's flag and then worry about 2020. I would be happy with a hangover season in 2020, if we win this year from 8th!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m more glass half full lately, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. A lot of poster’s on here and some Crows fans already have us winning this week. Going on our years form as a whole, nothing is certain this Sunday. Let’s win that first, THEN talk about finals and possibly winning the flag. Personally, I’d be happy if we did a Melbourne and win a couple of finals then make the Prelim which possibly will be interstate and bloody tough.

The last two weeks we’ve smashed two sides who have been missing several key players from both sides, so let’s not read into it too much just yet. I think we are building nicely, but let’s not forget who we’ve played. I would like to think we beat Adelaide by a comfortable 30 points, and hopefully finish 8th after Essendon cause an unlikely upset against the Pies. I highly doubt it on current form of Pies and Dons.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have posted this stat previously but I'll say it again;

In the last 8 years only two teams have made the finals with an average games experience of less than 2000. Dogs in 2015 and Dogs in 2016. If we beat the Crows we can add Dogs 2019 to that list.

It is absolutely amazing that we are in this position once again...
I voting for you to replace those muppets at Champion data!

Whilst the media is now finally starting to take notice I find it interesting that none seem to have mentioned our lack of experience. Its the go to mantra when they talk about the lions but no one mentions that we are less experienced.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m more glass half full lately, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. A lot of poster’s on here and some Crows fans already have us winning this week. Going on our years form as a whole, nothing is certain this Sunday. Let’s win that first, THEN talk about finals and possibly winning the flag. Personally, I’d be happy if we did a Melbourne and win a couple of finals then make the Prelim which possibly will be interstate and bloody tough.

The last two weeks we’ve smashed two sides who have been missing several key players from both sides, so let’s not read into it too much just yet. I think we are building nicely, but let’s not forget who we’ve played. I would like to think we beat Adelaide by a comfortable 30 points, and hopefully finish 8th after Essendon cause an unlikely upset against the Pies. I highly doubt it on current form of Pies and Dons.
Nah lets get ahead of ourselves, Pick no 18 here we come!

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
If you consider our list profile of age and experience we may not be in the form we are now without the early season stuff.
Or maybe Bevo could've thrown Dunks in the guts from round 1 and not round 7...

Can't keep on saying players/inexperience as a reason we didn't perform, the coach was struggling too imo

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Or maybe Bevo could've thrown Dunks in the guts from round 1 and not round 7...

Can't keep on saying players/inexperience as a reason we didn't perform, the coach was struggling too imo
Absolutely. Many of us here were frustrated with Bev not picking Trengove, playing Dunks fwd and not giving English a chop out.

Honestly it was poor coaching. IIRC Bont said something in a post match about him going to Bev and suggesting Dunks play mid. If I am remembering it right. Bev gets credit for listening but WTF was he thinking in the first place?

And English costing us when fading in second halves was more obvious than a Bulldog's love plums, yet he got no support until Trengove was brought in. So blindingly obvious and bizarre Bev took so long to react.

Been a frustrating year. But it has been good to see the side clicking finally.

I don't get the pat on the back thing because we are so young. It was a list management decision to let experience walk, rely on chronically injured players to miraculously come good, and be so young.

Applauding ourselves for our performances this year is like praising someone for not getting totally covered in s**t after shitting the bed. Well done....:poo:

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Absolutely. Many of us here were frustrated with Bev not picking Trengove, playing Dunks fwd and not giving English a chop out.

Honestly it was poor coaching. IIRC Bont said something in a post match about him going to Bev and suggesting Dunks play mid. If I am remembering it right. Bev gets credit for listening but WTF was he thinking in the first place?

And English costing us when fading in second halves was more obvious than a Bulldog's love plums, yet he got no support until Trengove.was brought in. So blindingly obvious and bizarre Bev took so long to react.

I don't get the pat on the back thing because we are so young. It was list management decision to let experience walk, rely on chronically injured players to miraculously come good and be so young.

Applauding ourselves for our performances this year is like praising someone for not getting totally covered in s**t after s**tting the bed. Well done....:poo:

Sorry if I'm wrong but doesn't Trengove spend almost every game as just a defender? My memory is Schache and Naughton give English relief most of the time. Quick look at Trengove's hitout stats seems to say there's only been 6 games where he's been that backup ruck.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry if I'm wrong but doesn't Trengove spend almost every game as just a defender? My memory is Schache and Naughton give English relief most of the time. Quick look at Trengove's hitout stats seems to say there's only been 6 games where he's been that backup ruck.
IIRC Trengove provided some ruck support when first back and also indirectly released or encouraged the release of Cordy and Naughton and Schache, etc to do likewise

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

And English costing us when fading in second halves was more obvious than a Bulldog's love plums, yet he got no support until Trengove was brought in. So blindingly obvious and bizarre Bev took so long to react.

I don't get the pat on the back thing because we are so young. It was a list management decision to let experience walk, rely on chronically injured players to miraculously come good, and be so young.

Applauding ourselves for our performances this year is like praising someone for not getting totally covered in s**t after s**tting the bed. Well done....:poo:

Fair dinkum, some of the stuff written in here is absolute horseshit.
Trenners was brought in and once English was back in the side, Trenners was sent straight to the backline. English has had the same support all season, that’s a small chop out from one of the fwds and the occasional one from Cordy or Trenners. Pretty much nothing has changed in regards to our ruck system all season.

Dunks was playing 40/60 fwd mid early days. That was flipped after rd7. Firstly, Dunks wasn’t played as a fwd early season, he just played more minutes there than the other midfielders. His form was s**t, full stop. He benefited from more minutes, but he still had the chance to impact as a midfielder early days but didn’t. Lippi is playing a similar role to the one Dunks had early and is doing it fine.
And

I’m not sure if you noticed through out the year but we won our first two games without Trenners in the side and also had some terrible losses with him in it. Or have we forgotten those details ?

These things have a tip of a bees dick involvment in why we were 4-7 at the halfway point.

To be hung up on trivial things that make * all a difference in how our form has spiked shows how little some people actually know about the game.

It’s actually laughable some of the s**t I read on here and if by some strange reason any of the coaches stumbled apon these threads, they’d seriously think some of us are complete nuff nuffs

Excuse my french, but I woke on the wrong side of the bed with a raging hangover.

Time for my A.G.B.

Go Dogs !!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back