Toast Regional Roos Thread - Down on the farm Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

they tend to canabalise one another when we have them here at work in the tank, must be a big tank iam guessing?
Its not that big but we have a few so we've isolated the smallest ones and feed them alot. There is less cannibalism if they're all the same size.

Plus they hide with the parents when they are really small. I've seen a bit of "No you're not eating your little brother!" action from the big yabbies.

we have had about 50mm since beginning of November, and about 15 of that was in one downpour.
Its rained every day for six months here. Maybe a week a fortnight of days with no rain at all.

And we get these systems now, well, I've only lived here 25 years and so they mmay be part of a longer cycle, but anyway these systems just sit over the mountains and dump heaps of rain back toward the coast. Its like there's a new "atmospheric river" or whatever they call them, (ie large airborne water flows that just dump rain,) in the area, or if it's the same one its now suddenly hundreds of percent bigger.

we have 5 dams on the property and none appear to have yabbies, this one that has been rebuilt will now be the biggest, the others except for the one in the horse paddock all have lots of sediment in them ( as did this one before addressing it) . 2 of the other dams are excavated tanks and 2 are small gully dams. prolly the other excavated tank dam would be more suitagle for yabbies with no walls to damage.
The dam wall damage is usually over exaggerated in my experience. I’ve taken yabbies out of dozens and dozens of dams without seeing it. If you have multiples they’ll migrate over eventually.

The dam wall damage is usually over exaggerated in my experience. I’ve taken yabbies out of dozens and dozens of dams without seeing it. If you have multiples they’ll migrate over eventually.
Yep have yabbies in our dams & never an issue
Deepened a dam 4 metres a couple of years ago & the yabbies the following year were incredible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far I've got two leaches, two wet dogs (both female, desexed) and a humungous moth nearly as big as my hand that landed on the deck last night.
You need another moth if you're still building the ark. You may want to rethink the dogs as well. We'd be happy if you leave the leaches. Maybe place them on a leaf and if they make it, then good luck to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back