‘The Summer of Expectation’
Version 8.2

View attachment 964228

Featuring such BigFooty classics as...

* List Age Comparison!
* Favourable Statistical Categories!
* Rising Star Nomination Count!
* Free Kick Differentials!
* First Season Coaching Record Comparison!

and so much more!
This stuff used to piss me off but I kinda got used to it.

I worked with a guy who was pretty high up at fremantle and he explained to me that at the core there's a fundamental issue with some clubs in the AFL. Teams like Gold Coast, Frementale, GWS will always find it 10x harder to operate with less members, less ticket sales and probably the biggest factor- not a destination club.

Imagine being a young superstar in Melbourne, SA, NSW or QLD. You don't exactly dream of moving to perth and driving 45 mins south the cockburn to train everyday and getting on a flight every second week. People will always debate it, but it's a unsavoury truth.

They can and will win games but they'll always be up against it.

I heard on RTR FM this week that a Fremantle fan who was friends with the morning show host was upset at Freos late season form because it meant they wouldn't get as good of a draft pick 🤦

Finally it looks like they might be turning a corner and sections of their supporter base are annoyed about it because they want to collect more lucky dip draft picks.
Definitely not surprised by that. Although it’s a little like us in 2009 - we could have drafted Martin if we didn’t win a couple of those late games. Or we could have drafted Scully :$

Point taken.

Whats your view on finishing 9th instead of 8th? Pro or con?
Ok so in 2002 we finished 8th and made the finals for the first time in what felt like ages (00 & 01 were horrid) and then finished in the same spot for 2003 and 2004 and it felt like we were treading water as a mid table side but then BANG an amazing 2005 season narrowly losing a GF then an even better 2006 season and a premiership.

If we had farted around 9th, 10th etc during 2002-2004 we wouldn't have been exposed to a finals build up etc and who knows if 05 and 06 happen?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok so in 2002 we finished 8th and made the finals for the first time in what felt like ages (00 & 01 were horrid) and then finished in the same spot for 2003 and 2004 and it felt like we were treading water as a mid table side but then BANG an amazing 2005 season narrowly losing a GF then an even better 2006 season and a premiership.

If we had farted around 9th, 10th etc during 2002-2004 we wouldn't have been exposed to a finals build up etc and who knows if 05 and 06 happen?

Richmond benefited from three years of finals even if they were humiliated in all of them.

It pays to have experience in a finals atmosphere. Brisbane last year is also an example of this - top 4 for most of the year but then bundled out in straight sets - obviously there are exceptions but it is always better to play finals than not. Always.

Good laugh on the purples board, analysing our list and predicting years in the wilderness due to our age profile. Guess they must’ve forgot the fact that we don’t do failure, it’s not in our DNA

To be fair, when it comes to years of failure they know their s**t.

Good laugh on the purples board, analysing our list and predicting years in the wilderness due to our age profile. Guess they must’ve forgot the fact that we don’t do failure, it’s not in our DNA

That is some salty action over there.

Every list has concerns when they have a group of flag winning level guys approaching the end but I think we are much better set up than most with a really good spine to build around.

Lots of hoping we fall but not much clue about understanding what you need to build a successful team...no real surprises I guess.

No doubt, I was asking the question tongue in cheek.

I know how stupid it is to not want finals, so you get 2 extra weeks of preseason.

If thats how you approach things fold the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're going to annoy them like Geelong are annoying us.

To play Devil's Advocate, I can see where they are coming from. Their 'developing' players are much stronger than ours...as they should be, given the relative successes of the sides. I also think the strides they've taken this year are setting them up for a finals tilt next season.

I want a bit more focus to go on the lower end of our list heading into the next few seasons as I feel our depth needs major work. If we don't manage this correctly we *could* drop down a little, though I don't think we'd return to 2010 levels any time soon.

To play Devil's Advocate, I can see where they are coming from. Their 'developing' players are much stronger than ours...as they should be, given the relative successes of the sides. I also think the strides they've taken this year are setting them up for a finals tilt next season.

I want a bit more focus to go on the lower end of our list heading into the next few seasons as I feel our depth needs major work. If we don't manage this correctly we *could* drop down a little, though I don't think we'd return to 2010 levels any time soon.

A couple free agents and we will be sweet.

I thought our list was in strife for a few seconds when 2017 ended, but then I came to my senses and realised that hey, I barrack for West Coast, got nothing to worry about

I have to disagree. I think their developing/young players are just different to ours. They have some promising mids, we have more promising KPP's.

Brayshaw/Cerra/schultz are the same age bracket as OA, Waterman, Ryan. We don't have an answer for Serong.

It's a null and void statement on the other recruits are they haven't debuted, or haven't had an impact yet.

I have to disagree. I think their developing/young players are just different to ours. They have some promising mids, we have more promising KPP's.

Brayshaw/Cerra/schultz are the same age bracket as OA, Waterman, Ryan. We don't have an answer for Serong.

It's a null and void statement on the other recruits are they haven't debuted, or haven't had an impact yet.
Agree, their KPP depth is shocking and it is the hardest area of the ground to trade for. This isn't 2006, a gun midfield cant cover for a poor forward line.

We’ve got a great core of players to take us through the next five years or so. 3 All Australians in the middle in Yeo, Kelly, Gaff. Some exciting youth in Allen, Ryan, Waterman. Strong leaders in Duggan, Sheed, Barrass. The core is there. Lists can look a lot different from year to year. As long as we keep who we want to keep we’ll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back