Oppo Camp Regular Non Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you reckon Waterman is an elite talent? I’ve seen one scratchie against Carlton. He kicked 4 but a couple were from soft frees. I missed his WCE career. Keen to understand what kind of midfielder he was tracking to be.
I was speaking in more general terms rather than specifically about Alec.

Alec was tracking very well prior to his illness. I think most of us probably thought his floor was going to be a capable 100+ gamer when he was drafted but that could be rosy, father/son glasses.

Do you reckon Waterman is an elite talent? I’ve seen one scratchie against Carlton. He kicked 4 but a couple were from soft frees. I missed his WCE career. Keen to understand what kind of midfielder he was tracking to be.

He was destined to be our Priddis replacement. Absolute lump of a bloke with no pace but better disposal by foot.

Without taking the piss I do recall a couple people rating his contested stuff the best in that 2014 draft.

You are right if their views are entrenched but I often think back to my past and can think of times when I've made comments or jokes like that without realising the impact. This was in the 90s where things were these things more widespread, but the only reason I've changed my view and become more aware, is I was given the chance to find out the impact without being publicly shamed. I'm sure nearly everyone has had the same experience if they're honest, I'd be flabbergasted if there's any adult who has said or done something racist in the past and realised in hindsight it wasn't the way to go.

I would highly recommend the book 'So You've Been Publicly Shamed' by Jon Ronson, written 5 years ago, if anything, it's much more relevant today. The desire to shame and ostracise is something deeply human and with the current incentives provided by social media and social climbing it's been magnified greatly.

I would highly recommend the book 'So You've Been Publicly Shamed' by Jon Ronson, written 5 years ago, if anything, it's much more relevant today. The desire to shame and ostracise is something deeply human and with the current incentives provided by social media and social climbing it's been magnified greatly.

Someone saying they're going to south Africa and that they "hope they don't get aids" on their own Twitter feed, only to find the airport in South Africa filled with people waiting for them and the news they've been sacked from their job is a bit different to explaining the origins of a racist term to an indigenous Australian in the workplace though.

There are shades of grey with it all.

Someone saying they're going to south Africa and that they "hope they don't get aids" on their own Twitter feed, only to find the airport in South Africa filled with people waiting for them and the news they've been sacked from their job is a bit different to explaining the origins of a racist term to an indigenous Australian in the workplace though.

There are shades of grey with it all.

Of course, if anything I think we're increasingly unable and unwilling to acknowledge grey in any form and 'grace' is just a forgotten concept. I hate the mob justice that has poisoned our discourse and going after someone's job and livelihood, for an off-colour joke as in the first example or a slightly heterodox position is all sorts of ****ed up.

That being said, this is a clear case of pretty disgusting behaviour, where you could rightly be fired for saying something like that and Andrew can and should do whatever he wants. I respect his restraint immensely here, not easy to do.

I've heard god-awful 'jokes' like that before, but never in front of someone who was indigenous - doesn't make it better - but it says a lot about the atmosphere at Collingwood at the time, that someone would even think that was within the realm of acceptable conduct.

I was speaking in more general terms rather than specifically about Alec.

Alec was tracking very well prior to his illness. I think most of us probably thought his floor was going to be a capable 100+ gamer when he was drafted but that could be rosy, father/son glasses.
Ah sounds like a worthwhile pick up for us. You don’t get to March and still not be on an AFL list if you don’t have at least a couple of question marks (too slow, too small for a marking forward etc).

He is a bit of a unique proposition. An eye catchingly thick unit, a ball winner playing as a forward despite being too short. Will be interesting to see where he can end up. Thanks for your response and those from others.

If you're able to take them onto a rookie list type spot similar to cat B you can invest 1-2 years to see if they are worth persisting with. A lot of talent goes unfulfilled because they either don't see a pathway or they aren't in the right environment for development.

Personally I rate Jamieson as a ruck and think he'll work well in tandon with williams in the future so it's not so much for us but jus the system in general.

Ehhh the system to me is working fine. There are some clubs who like to take the risk and draft rucks and there are others that don’t. The clubs that don’t, generally have to pay a premium for a spud ruck who maybe 20% of the time turns out ok.

Creating a cat b list spot isn’t going to change the fact that rucks are always going to change teams. There’s 1 spot on the field and most rucks number 1 rucks, would prefer to ruck 75% of the game. If you’re a second string ruckman or on the cat b, you’ll still leave for opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know Kayo just take the Seven feed right?
Not if you scroll all the way down and select to watch it on the Fox footy channel through the app instead of the what's on today list.

Not if you scroll all the way down and select to watch it on the Fox footy channel through the app instead of the what's on today list.

Tell me more about this loop hole, and does it work with Foxtel Now which I assume is very similar to Kayo?

I get the ch7 feed through my Fox Now as well, and if I click on the fox footy channel it just has elevator music playing and some text saying to change to another channel.

Quite annoying as I am paying for Fox but only get the fox feed when ch7 isn't having a crack at the game.

Tell me more about this loop hole, and does it work with Foxtel Now which I assume is very similar to Kayo?

I get the ch7 feed through my Fox Now as well, and if I click on the fox footy channel it just has elevator music playing and some text saying to change to another channel.

Quite annoying as I am paying for Fox but only get the fox feed when ch7 isn't having a crack at the game.
I use the kayo app and chromecast. You can watch any fox sports channel live but you need to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the kayo app to find the live channels.

I use the kayo app and chromecast. You can watch any fox sports channel live but you need to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the kayo app to find the live channels.
Wow didn’t know this.

Awesome 👏🏽

I don't think I get fox footy play+. Anything through channel 504 is fox feed.

It's a redundant channel unless ch7 have the rights, and then that's where the game is played and I won't have access to 503/504 (unless there's another game on).

Ch7s broadcast resolution seems to have improved a little since years back, but their commentary is still woeful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back