Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
I have just finished listening to an interview with Akec Chuot, the Sudanese AFL player for the Richmond women's team - it's available on the AFL site - what a wonderful story. I thoroughly recommend having a listen.
She is so impressive. What a powerful woman she is! Very articulate, and a wonderful ambassador to the game and to her people. Very blessed to have her here as an Australian.

What an absolute pity that Ashley Smith didn't have the football nous and flair that his little sister Tyanna has.

gettyimages-1230860687-2048x2048.jpg

gettyimages-142553952-2048x2048.jpg

She is going to be a STAR in the AFLW.

Very Impressive in her first season.

Fell in love with the game as an eight year old when she ran out on the ground and ran through the banner with her older brother Ash.

IMG_2230.jpg

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I ran boundary for a club he played for and his dad was the coach, they were always at each other. He was a tantrum throwing turd back then to.
My sister's friend knew his brother (I assume younger). The Kerr siblings would end up at parties with them sometimes and the whole lot of them were hotheads (including the sister, who was a lot younger). There'd always be some drama.

Apparently their Dad flies off the handle a lot too.

It's sad because everytime I've met Daniel he's been friendly and personable. Must have a terrible temper.

My sister's friend knew his brother (I assume younger). The Kerr siblings would end up at parties with them sometimes and the whole lot of them were hotheads (including the sister, who was a lot younger). There'd always be some drama.

Apparently their Dad flies off the handle a lot too.

It's sad because everytime I've met Daniel he's been friendly and personable. Must have a terrible temper.
Yeah the entire family's rep is for being hotheads.

Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Gil's a blowhard chode. Colour me surprised.

A Tassie team isn’t financially viable and everyone knows this. It would have a fan base, at best, only slightly bigger than GWS or Gold Coast with no scope for growth. It would also struggle with player retention even more than those clubs, what 20 year old wants to live in Tassie, so would become a feeder club for the Vic teams.

Gill is a dick, but this is more about the Tassie premier pandering to the public, trying to gain votes.

From memory he tried to do the same with his ex's house? :oops:

Dude has some serious anger issues, but his dad wasn't the best role model for that either

His Dad's a campaigner, it's no surprise Daniel turned out the way he did.

Thank god Sam turned out ok.

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
His Dad's a campaigner, it's no surprise Daniel turned out the way he did.

Thank god Sam turned out ok.

From a distance and listening to him speak it appears Daniel is a good guy deep down but can't handle his booze (plus at least in the past recreational drugs) in addition to having his dad's temper.
If he'd given up the sauce permanently it would be lot easier to manage that temper but I remember something from (I think) Coast to Coast where he still drinks but tries to be careful but had no intention of quitting. Some people just can't handle it. It's sad but he has had more chances than most and deserves everything that comes his way.

Hopefully Sam continues to keep her head screwed on.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Seems racism among players was/is an actual thing at Collingwood, bit hard to brush this off with the Harry is a dick defense.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, I suspect that Harry is a dick while also being a victim of a racist system haha.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
The two aren't mutually exclusive, I suspect that Harry is a dick while also being a victim of a racist system haha.

Collingwood has always had this moniker of being racist. Leon was another victim that spoke out strongly about it. It has been there for ever though.

Joel Wilkinson spoke up about racist treatment at Gold Coast and BigFooty nuffies chimed in with 'well you only played 20 games, you were shithouse and were delisted because of that, you may only speak out if you played 100 and even then you shouldn't blame the club because you didn't say anything'.

Until prevailing attitudes like that change is it any wonder Harry decided to keep it quiet?

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast

This is really it. Lumumba is a self entitled, delusional dick who was also subject to racism both within and outside of the club. Mind you most young people are self deluded entitled delusional dicks and always have been. Growing out of that self entitlement is apart of growing up/growing as a person.

The cultural differences between countries and races plays out a large part of the self entitlement. It is why even if you compare immigrants of the same race those who come from poorer backgrounds not only over achieve but are also more open to other people and other cultures while those who come from money/races or castes that in their original country had institutionalised benefits from birth act like dicks. Those who see what is in front of them as an opportunity to benefit themselves, their family and their families future will always do better than those who stand apart, are self entitled and are always looking at the now.

Now there is a racist stereotype that Indian and Asian people are tight with their money. I have for the last decade worked in sales and finance and I can tell you that when you deal with money particularly as the amounts get larger and larger the more peoples underlying characters show through. Indian people who have come from lower caste backgrounds are some of the most open, caring and honourable people I have ever met. They may bargain hard but once you earn their business they are loyal for life. It is the same with poorer people from south east asia, China and to a lesser extent the Japanese. Try dealing with the same races and peoples who come from backgrounds of being higher caste, coming from power in China or Japanese and the experience is much less pleasant. They show no respect, no honour, are overtly racist and have zero loyalty.

White Australians tend to be the complete opposite with money. Those who come from old money tend to be polite, amicable and willing to compromise and do business. Those who come from new money want it their way or it's the highway. Predilection to change and race tends to be opposite of how White Australians are with money and more defined by generation and age.

Now sporting clubs whether it be from the lowest level amateurs to the elite are like all other institutionalised systems (military, police etc) where you need to earn the respect of your peers and be willing to lower yourself to be part of the stronger whole. Hazing in these areas is institutionalised, hard to change and changing it will not necessarily improve results. If you swim against the tide you will be cast out, not because of race, but because you aren't willing to be apart of the system. There are 3 things that need to be put aside in all institutionalised systems. Race, Religion and Politics. This is why I absolutely despise the politicism of professional sport these days. You want teenagers and 20 something year olds to be seen as Role Models, Racial and Religious advocates and the like and it is a complete ******* joke. Most people under the age of 30 struggle trying to find who they are as a person let alone being forced to be put on a pedestal and though politics would like to make you think it is for their benefit, it isn't, it's all for money and how it benefits those above them. Institutionalised systems and in particularly sports are where you get the very real adage that a champion team will always beat a team of champions. The champion team rise and fall as one while the team of champions are looking out for themselves.

There will always be those who are exceptions to the rule and are able to deal with these standards from a young age (Think Nicnat) however they are exceptions not the standard, as it is an impossible standard to hold young people up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back