Oppo Camp Regular Non Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did your club afford it last year? Did they make a big loss?

I was thinking about our CEOs claim that they lost $2M. From memory, we lost about 4 home games last year, so that's at least $8M gone, but I don't get the sense we were in financial danger. These decisions look like prioritising profit over on field performance.

Yeah we were at least 1 mill in the red

Mitch McGovern has the heart the size of a caraway seed.
Must be close to being the most overpaid player in the comp.

AFL great whacks Blue after shirking at a contest despite ‘tough’ approach

St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt has taken aim at Carlton forward Mitch McGovern after he failed to walk the walk, despite flying the flag earlier in the contest.

McGovern was charged twice by the Match Review Officer for striking Nick Hind during the third quarter of the club’s clash with Essendon, taking part in the skirmish that played out at the City End of the ground.

But it was the lack of effort from McGovern that was cause for concern in the moments that followed, with Riewoldt pinpointed a moment that wasn’t up to AFL level.

“Little skirmish broke out between Essendon and Carlton on the weekend. Pay extra notice to Mitch McGovern here,” he said on Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

“By all means, fly the flag and you can probably go without the jumper punches, from which you’ve been fined.

“Not long after being really tough, you’ve got an opportunity to bodyline the ball and you jump out of the way and swing a foot at it.

“If you want to wrestle and do all of that and throw the jumpers punches, that’s fine, but be tough when the footy is there too.”

Mitch McGovern has the heart the size of a caraway seed.
Must be close to being the most overpaid player in the comp.

AFL great whacks Blue after shirking at a contest despite ‘tough’ approach

St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt has taken aim at Carlton forward Mitch McGovern after he failed to walk the walk, despite flying the flag earlier in the contest.

McGovern was charged twice by the Match Review Officer for striking Nick Hind during the third quarter of the club’s clash with Essendon, taking part in the skirmish that played out at the City End of the ground.

But it was the lack of effort from McGovern that was cause for concern in the moments that followed, with Riewoldt pinpointed a moment that wasn’t up to AFL level.

“Little skirmish broke out between Essendon and Carlton on the weekend. Pay extra notice to Mitch McGovern here,” he said on Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

“By all means, fly the flag and you can probably go without the jumper punches, from which you’ve been fined.

“Not long after being really tough, you’ve got an opportunity to bodyline the ball and you jump out of the way and swing a foot at it.

“If you want to wrestle and do all of that and throw the jumpers punches, that’s fine, but be tough when the footy is there too.”
Bloke owes his brother a huge number of beers given he has pretty much carved out a career riding on Jeremy’s coattails. Stoked that it is Carlton made to suffer for it.

Mitch McGovern definitely added a few digits to his contract off the back of Jeremy’s success.

That said, we should look at getting him on the cheap for key defensive depth that we currently lack - teaming up with his bro might be what he needs to salvage his career.

He has talent but mentally needs work it seems (and physically really, he’s always injured, actually, this might not be that good an idea at all...)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch McGovern definitely added a few digits to his contract off the back of Jeremy’s success.

That said, we should look at getting him on the cheap for key defensive depth that we currently lack - teaming up with his bro might be what he needs to salvage his career.

He has talent but mentally needs work it seems (and physically really, he’s always injured, actually, this might not be that good an idea at all...)

Strikes me as a lazy player for some reason. Not sure he puts in the hard yards off-field and slides through on talent to a large degree.

I could be completely wrong but that's the vibe I get from watching him.

How did your club afford it last year? Did they make a big loss?

I was thinking about our CEOs claim that they lost $2M. From memory, we lost about 4 home games last year, so that's at least $8M gone, but I don't get the sense we were in financial danger. These decisions look like prioritising profit over on field performance.

While WCE reported a small ‘profit’ last year it is masked by the many memberships that were credited over to this year.

Methinks the true impact of COVID and loss of games and associated reduced merchandise sales in 2020 will really be revealed at the end of this year.

While we (I think) will be ok it will still take sometime to rebalance the financial ledger.

Now is not a good time to be underperforming on the field. I will be interested to see how St Kilda, Norfs, Gold Coast, Sydney etc are financially placed at years end.

I suspect event the bigger V clubs might face some financial challenges as the year rolls on. Albeit their governments seem to have adopted a different approach to COVID outbreaks which may reduce the financial impact to them.

If we want stop-gap key defender depth you can't look past Will Schofield who's currently running around with Peel.

While WCE reported a small ‘profit’ last year it is masked by the many memberships that were credited over to this year.

Methinks the true impact of COVID and loss of games and associated reduced merchandise sales in 2020 will really be revealed at the end of this year.

While we (I think) will be ok it will still take sometime to rebalance the financial ledger.

Now is not a good time to be underperforming on the field. I will be interested to see how St Kilda, Norfs, Gold Coast, Sydney etc are financially placed at years end.

I suspect event the bigger V clubs might face some financial challenges as the year rolls on. Albeit their governments seem to have adopted a different approach to COVID outbreaks which may reduce the financial impact to them.
Only WA clubs dont have crowds so far.

Interesting, you're right about the impact to our club not hitting until this year.

I think a lot of the Vic clubs just asked people to donate memberships without any credit. If a lot of them accepted, they may have dodged the financial hit.

Based on this, I'd say we'll be doing that fixture swap unless McGowan can confirm crowds by the end of this week.

I wouldn't worry too much about the financials of the under-performing clubs, we'll just end up propping them up as always.

Only WA clubs dont have crowds so far.

True but I’d offer the ‘lesser/smaller’ clubs don’t have the reserve we have/had.

Despite their crowds I suspect they are closer to the wind than AFL, and the clubs themselves, would like.

Just on crowds - did I read somewhere crowd numbers are down on historical averages? If so, the noose just got a little tighter for some.

Crowds are well down on average, about 20% across the board excluding the outlier games such as the Derby & Cockburn vs North Melbourne.

Hard to put an exact finger as to why (price, COVID concerns, access to games on Kayo/Fox). Victorian games are apparently a huge pain to get to atm in regards to signing in/zones of areas to sit and finding it harder to just decide to go to a game on a whim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back