Analysis Rehashing the Dangerfield trade.....AGAIN

Did Adelaide get the absolute most they could have in trade capital for Dangerfield?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 92.1%
  • At the time Yes but in Hindsight No

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The trade that pisses me off about not being able to forcibly trade players under contract (just like in America where the players get all their ideas from!).

End of the previous year it was bloody obvious he wasn't staying, Melbourne had picks 1 and 2. OK Paddy see you later off to the Dees you go.

The trade that pisses me off about not being able to forcibly trade players under contract (just like in America where the players get all their ideas from!).

End of the previous year it was bloody obvious he wasn't staying, Melbourne had picks 1 and 2. OK Paddy see you later off to the Dees you go.
Brisbane offered us Pick 8 for Tippett the year before he left... We said No. In hindsight if we'd taken that pick 8 we could have had Toby Greene and then Patty Cripps as we wouldn't have lost picks, on our list ....

Why do you keep peddling this rubbish. Geelong hadn’t traded their future first, the Danger trade was the very first trade of that year’s trade period. Stop with the lies.
Must admit I had remembered this wrong too. It was Dangerfield first, then Henderson.

Also, Dangerfield was never taking a year off, we should have been prepared to call that bluff.

We took a terrible deal. We should have made them choose between Dangerfield and Henderson.

Must admit I had remembered this wrong too. It was Dangerfield first, then Henderson.

Also, Dangerfield was never taking a year off, we should have been prepared to call that bluff.

We took a terrible deal. We should have made them choose between Dangerfield and Henderson.
Agreed.
I believe we had David Noble as our list manager at the time. We never were getting a good deal with him there.

Some people just love repetitively hitting their head against the wall... thinking it will make them feel better.

I can't wait till the Crows, Geelong and the AFL look at this thread, realise their mistakes and the AFL demand Geelong give us more compensation due to our ineptness or we get Dangerfield back and they allocate us the 2017 AFL premiership as a result. Because obviously that was the difference.

I can't wait till the Crows, Geelong and the AFL look at this thread, realise their mistakes and the AFL demand Geelong give us more compensation due to our ineptness or we get Dangerfield back and they allocate us the 2017 AFL premiership as a result. Because obviously that was the difference.
AFL would give us draft sanctions for tanking the trade!

nothing to rehash, understandably the brutality of our mistreatment has left blackouts in some peoples’ recollection of the details

Also, perfectly reasonably, some people have assumed Geelong must have had some hitherto unknown leverage that forced us into taking a handful of beans.

They. Did. Not

David Noble had returned from a 1 week Harvard Executive Education seminar and was convinced he was going to run rings around the local yokels with his newly acquired knowledge

He was going to not “anchor” and draw it out, so he agreed a 4D chess manoeuvre and took the beans by lunchtime on day 1. This galaxy brain move would allow him turn those beans into a magic haul that would awe his doubters by the end.

Dear reader, he did not.

The bit that bugs me the most is we also gave Geelong our third round draft pick as part of the deal! Why?!?

No way Noble actually passed that course.

Agreed.
I believe we had David Noble as our list manager at the time. We never were getting a good deal with him there.
I remember a time when supporters used to rate Noble. He was always garbage IMO. Some were in awe as to how he answered 5AA's questions on the Tippet saga. "I can't answer that Graham" - rinse and repeat...............Nobes is a gun..

s**t deal.

Also, Rehn doing his knees 3 times was s**t.

Losing the 93 prelim was s**t.

Camp was s**t.

2017 GF was s**t.

2012 prelim umpiring was s**t

Kurt Tippett secret deal was s**t

2005/06 wasted opportunities were s**t

Leaving Massie on Buddy was s**t

Ben Rutten giving away the free vs Collingwood in 2009 was s**t.

Goal umpiring decision vs Sydney in 2023 was s**t

Brett Burton as high performance manager was s**t

Nathan van Berlo being cruelled by a sled was s**t.

Trent Hentschel being ruined by injury was s**t.

Tyson Edwards being KOd vs Collingwood in prelim was s**t

Compo for Davis and Bock was s**t

GF and prelim losses and Burton/Roo/Trigg/Craig aside, this is top 3 in our list of s**t deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GF and prelim losses and Burton/Roo/Trigg/Craig aside, this is top 3 in our list of s**t deals.

Our shittest deal

The Kurt Tippett refused trade to Brisbane in 2011
Offer: 12, 30 and Polec or Redden. (We walked away over a perception of being lowballed, Tippett was fully prepared to go to Brisbane in that trade, he agreed to go) We tried to renegotiate with Brisbane and Gold Coast 12 months later only for Tippett to nominate Sydney. That was a pure clusterf&*K of a decision as he never indicated he wanted to stay with us beyond that contract. We paid $250k under the table in 2009 to keep him. That should have been the sign he was gone at the end of the next contract. There is stupid then there is this level of stupid. He was always heading back to the upper east coast.

Runner UP
Bryce Gibbs Deal Pick 10, 16 and steak knives. Paid way overs. could have used those picks for players still playing today. Obviously rolled the dice on buying a premiership but an older Gibbs was never the answer.

3rd

Jack Gunstan - we should have cried over this deal more. Only got pick 24, 46, 64 but had to pay extra draft picks 53, 71 for the privilege. We drafted him at 29 and clearly by the time he left had demonstrated he was going to be a star.

My clear nomination as the 3rd worst trade. We caved when we could have got two second rounders. Sure it was a compromised draft with GWS but damn that was dumb and lazy panicky trading. For note, Hawthorn used picks to trade back up into the second round. Drafted Bradly Hill. We drafted Kerridge. FFS

Its amazing the misconception the Crows had more power in the Danger trade. Few people forget Danger could have walked to the PSD and we would have got nothing.

But somehow the Dawson trade is different.
Offered pick 16, had nothing else to give, Sydney had no interest in entertaining the deal except had no choice because Dawson was going to walk to the PSD.

So what, its ok when it happens in favour of us but we still cry 8 years later when it works against us?

Bottom line, there have been much worse trades that caused way more list damage for our club than the Danger trade. But its the Danger trade thats the problem. FFS

The bit that bugs me the most is we also gave Geelong our third round draft pick as part of the deal! Why?!?

No way Noble actually passed that course.

💯 %
Because Geelong wanted to teabag us. It was about asserting dominance

We wanted Jordan Murdoch but they said no, and we needed something to bring back so… reluctantly they agreed to release the great Gore; but they’d need something back. I mean cmon it was Dean freaking Gore, we couldn’t expect them to just give him away.

After all, we were only trading just about the best player in the comp.

And David Noble quickly agreed they were right, it was a bit much to ask so he gave up the pick

flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg

But somehow the Dawson trade is different.
Offered pick 16, had nothing else to give, Sydney had no interest in entertaining the deal except had no choice because Dawson was going to walk to the PSD.

So what, its ok when it happens in favour of us but we still cry 8 years later when it works against us?
Dangerfield was a 3x all Australian and undeniably one of the best mids in the comp. People only became vaguely aware that Jordan Dawson was a footballer a year before we got him. He was a good young utility. There’s no comparison.

Dangerfield was a 3x all Australian and undeniably one of the best mids in the comp. People only became vaguely aware that Jordan Dawson was a footballer a year before we got him. He was a good young utility. There’s no comparison.

Its not the footballer its the deal. So its ok for Sydney lol but not ok for us.......right!!!

Feel.free to explain why you like flogging a dead horse....
It’s a football forum and football old and new is discussed, especially in the off season. It’s not up to you to determine what we should and shouldn’t discuss especially when there’s a dedicated thread.

To insinuate we need to argue to feel better is pathetic. Do you post to feel better? What’s the threshold of when posting makes us feel better. Also feel to share your shrink credentials

I know a lot baffles me anyway but I am stumped as to why this keeps getting brought up but so many other poor deals dont such as Gibbs which was so much worse.
Why are you in the thread? It baffles me that posters would whinge about a topic when they can just ignore it, especially when they post in that thread!

Back