Reid bump on Fyfe

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Have watched it over and over and really cannot see what Reid has done wrong- apart form the raised elbow/forearm- which tbh doesnt seem to have actually hit Fyfe in head- more a push off after impact
Nothing like Danger- who was bolting full pelt and left the ground and chose to bump- rather than brace.
Would be stiff to get any time off- yet, probably will
Yeah i got the same take on it as you

But concussion is a concussion so he'll likely cop something for Fyfe's concussion

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Fyfe ran into Reid, who had been pushed by the other Freo player at the time. Can't see this being worth time, but chook lotto will

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Looked like a reasonable block in the vicinity of the ball (with 5m?) but he has got him high so will pay the price.
The main difference to the Danger one was velocity. Danger was going full throttle with the intent to smash the bloke. This one Reid was blocking and didnt have much momentum. I reckon he knew Fyfe wasn't very aware that he was there so it wasn't completely innocent, a bit of a blindside shot. The difference could be seen in the outcomes- Fyfe was clearly dazed but wasn't knocked out whereas Kelly was KTFO with busted nose and eyesocket.
2 weeks I think, cant see how the impact could be rated as severe.

Last edited:

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The replays in the OP are just one angle. Doesn't look bad at all. But if you look at it from other angles, then it looks like Reid made an effort to increase the force of the impact beyond a simple brace. He is going to get suspended because of the end result. Schultz laid a "worse" bump early in the game, but Greene (?) got up and nobody cares.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
No it won’t. It’s the exact thing they are trying to get out of the game, hits that concuss players.

Reid chose to bump, hit him in the head, lifted his elbow after Fyfe dropped as he was putting force into his “bracing”. Vision from the otherside shows Reid saw Fyfe coming and turned his head before the contact after lining him up. Wasn’t looking at the ball like Fyfe.

It’s worse than Dangers in my opinion. 3 weeks.

Chose to bump?

He wasn't even looking at Fyfe. Fyfe was on the move and ran into / hit Reid more than Reid 'chose to bump'.

If he does get weeks it should be less that Dangerfield as Danger lined up his victim 10m away and ran at him fully intending to bump and hurt his opponent.

Its a different one that's for sure.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
MRO has made their bed now must lay in it.
3 weeks is the minimum Reid is looking at

LOL. Sure if a player runs full tilt 10m away and elects to shirt front a player into next week and knocks them out its 3 weeks.

Reid / Fyfe is totally different. Reid wasn't even looking at Fyfe, he was watching the play. Fyfe also watching the play and if anything Fyfe ran into Reid who is taller.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Fyfe is running thru a contest. It happens all the time yet players move out of the way instead of blocking/bumping.

Reid isn’t bracing, he’s bumping and hit him in the head. Just because he is stationary, doesn’t change the damage or result.

Players move out of the way instead of blocking?

Are you for real mate?

"Oh, he comes Nat Fyfe running through the contest to get the ball, I better step aside and let him do as he pleases!"

You seriously think this is how players think when defending a stoppage?

Open the other eye................

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
If you think three weeks is the minimum that Reid is looking at you must think his hit on Fyfe is as bad or worse than Dangerfield’s on Kelly.

I’d say three weeks is the maximum* Reid is looking at, his hit being not as bad or only equal to what PD did.

*I actually think Reid should get off, just arguing the point though.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I mean he'll probably get a few weeks but there wasn't really much that Reid did wrong there, it's not like he ran off his line or went headhunting. Just braced for an impact and Fyfe seemed to be lacking spatial awareness.

I would argue that he was slightly pushed by the 2nd Freo player and that contributed to the impact. He was pushed slightly, had eyes 100% on the ball and at the last second braced.

Quite a few unknowns in the entire situation to be reasonably sure it was careless never mind intentional.

Most of what happened was out of Reid's control. Getting a slight push, Fyfe running into him from a blind spot. Reid's eyes were on the play, not Fyfe.

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
Yeah i got the same take on it as you

But concussion is a concussion so he'll likely cop something for Fyfe's concussion

And that is the problem. I hate to see Fyfe out, but football is a contact sport, accidents will happen. Not everything is careless, intentional or whatever they want to call it.

The tribunal doesn't seem to go by intent, just on outcome.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Get your hand off it matey.
Do you know how the system works?
Careless -although this may be argued down given the push from the Freo player,
High contact - vision I have seen isn't clear on this either but I suspect it was
and medium or high impact - given there is likely concussion, probably high.

Worst case is 2 weeks based of the MRO schedule.
Danger lined up a player from a mile away and put him on a stretcher with multiple facial breaks. Suggest cutting out some eye holes in your box.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Chose to bump?

He wasn't even looking at Fyfe. Fyfe was on the move and ran into / hit Reid more than Reid 'chose to bump'.

If he does get weeks it should be less that Dangerfield as Danger lined up his victim 10m away and ran at him fully intending to bump and hurt his opponent.

Its a different one that's for sure.
Reid chose to bump. The whole 'not looking at Fyfe' is interesting. Absolutely just prior to and during the bump, he is not looking at Fyfe. So how did he know he was there to brace himself? The answer is obvious, he knew where he was the whole time. Anyone who's played sport knows you can put your body into someone without looking at them. If a player takes a screamer of a mark, they never look at the player they're about to jump on, they just know they're there. Reid knew Fyfe was coming. 10 years ago that's a great hip'n shoulder. With the game as it is, 1-2 weeks.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Reid chose to bump. The whole 'not looking at Fyfe' is interesting. Absolutely just prior to and during the bump, he is not looking at Fyfe. So how did he know he was there to brace himself? The answer is obvious, he knew where he was the whole time. Anyone who's played sport knows you can put your body into someone without looking at them. If a player takes a screamer of a mark, they never look at the player they're about to jump on, they just know they're there. Reid knew Fyfe was coming. 10 years ago that's a great hip'n shoulder. With the game as it is, 1-2 weeks.
So Fyfe knew Reid was there too but chose to line him up at pace? Just came off second best.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

He chose to brace as he was pushed into Fyfe whilst watching the play. Peripheral vision and spacial awareness does play a part here.

The guy is stationary. How do you bump someone when they run into you from a blind spot when you are looking the other direction?

Bracing to protect yourself with arms tucked in shouldn't be reportable IMO.

LOL. Sure if a player runs full tilt 10m away and elects to shirt front a player into next week and knocks them out its 3 weeks.

Reid / Fyfe is totally different. Reid wasn't even looking at Fyfe, he was watching the play. Fyfe also watching the play and if anything Fyfe ran into Reid who is taller.
Talk about a selective interpretation.
Reid's man is looking at the ball, Fyfe is looking at the ball, Reid is looking at Fyfe and runs through him when he isn't expecting it

If you think three weeks is the minimum that Reid is looking at you must think his hit on Fyfe is as bad or worse than Dangerfield’s on Kelly.

I’d say three weeks is the maximum* Reid is looking at, his hit being not as bad or only equal to what PD did.

*I actually think Reid should get off, just arguing the point though.
Kelly was involved in the play, Fyfe wasn't involved in the play and was picked off by a player who saw an opportunity to hurt a player and took it

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
He chose to brace as he was pushed into Fyfe whilst watching the play. Peripheral vision and spacial awareness does play a part here.

The guy is stationary. How do you bump someone when they run into you from a blind spot when you are looking the other direction?

Bracing to protect yourself with arms tucked in shouldn't be reportable IMO.
The brace is dead

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Talk about a selective interpretation.
Reid's man is looking at the ball, Fyfe is looking at the ball, Reid is looking at Fyfe and runs through him when he isn't expecting it
You got one sentence correct. I’d normally leave it to your selective interpretation to work that out, but in this instance I’ll let you know it’s the sentence with the term “selective interpretation”.

Back