Reid bump on Fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

#MROLotto strikes again. Reid pretty much doesn't move from his starting position and Fyfe runs through at speed and instigates the impact. All Reid did is brace for impact. If I'm the Giants I'm challenging this and asking what alternative did Reid have when Fyfe is running at him.

Talk about a selective interpretation.
Reid's man is looking at the ball, Fyfe is looking at the ball, Reid is looking at Fyfe and runs through him when he isn't expecting it

Lol. You are just making stuff up now.

Reid's wasn't looking at Fyfe.

And how do you run through someone when you are stationary with feet planted?

Geeeez....

#MROLotto strikes again. Reid pretty much doesn't move from his starting position and Fyfe runs through at speed and instigates the impact. All Reid did is brace for impact. If I'm the Giants I'm challenging this and asking what alternative did Reid have when Fyfe is running at him.
I don’t think you can argue he wasn’t careless, pushed back into Fyfe and got him high, it was not a bump from Reid and thus not deliberate

Nonsense from Michael Christian. Rubbed him out for no good reason.

GWS should challenge.

Got to agree, I reckon Reid is beyond stiff. I don't see what else he can really do there given the situation and they should absolutely challenge.

The poster who mentioned a knee to the head in a marking contest causing concussion raises a good point. At what point are some injury/concussion situations a natural consequence of contact sport? Why aren't players either signing legally iron clad waivers for incidental concussions during normal play actions or not being allowed to take the field? We all know the AFL is just trying to cover their arse in the future, but I think this is a bridge too far.

I am all for mitigating circumstances where possible and reasonable to avoid the serious ramifications of concussion, but we cannot eliminate contact from AFL or we might as well shut up shop and create a new sport.

yeah, dont think reid should have rubbed out for this
reid stationary and fyfe not looking where he is going, while reid looking at the ball not fyfe

No way he was stationary, in the video you can see him running in with Switkowski before slowing down a bit in search of the ball, then braced but didn't completely stop before bracing. Even lifted his elbow up after like you would when putting on a good shepherd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing in it, Reid was simply standing his ground and Fyfe ran into him.
I thought Robbo said it well on 360. [On Sam Reid] "You know what you can do, you can actually stop a little bit and sort of grapple, take him with you a little bit. Don't go in, sort of go back a little bit."

He does lean into an unsuspecting Fyfe whichever way you explain it.

Last edited:
So if this is how they want to adjudicate contests where someone is hurt, why wasn't Fyfe given 2 weeks in the preseason?
Fyfe was attacking the ball and first to it? Langdon didn’t even touch the ball, if fyfe was knocked out in that situation and not Langdon maybe Langdon would have gotten a week

I thought Robbo said it well on 360. [On Sam Reid] "You know what you can do, you can actually stop a little bit and sort of grapple, take him with you a little bit. Don't go in, sort of go back a little bit."

Grapple? Have another beer Robbo.

grapple
verb [ I ]

UK

/ˈɡræp.əl/ US

/ˈɡræp.əl/

to fight, especially in order to win something:
The children grappled for the ball.

AND...

grapple
(græpəl)
Word forms: 3rd person singular present tense grapples, present participle grappling, past tense, past participle grappled
1. VERB
If you grapple with a problem or difficulty, you try hard to solve it.
The economy is just one of several critical problems the country is grappling with. [VERB + with]
[Also VERB to-infinitive]
Synonyms: deal, tackle, cope, face More Synonyms of grapple
2. VERB
If you grapple with someone, you take hold of them and struggle with them, as part of a fight. You can also say that two people grapple.
He was grappling with an alligator in a lagoon. [VERB + with]
They grappled desperately for control of the weapon. [VERB]
Synonyms: struggle, fight, combat, wrestle More Synonyms of grapple

They should definitely challenge.

Fyfe is moving directly towards Reid who is basically running with a Fremantle opponent and doesn't really deviate off his line.

At most this is one week because it was slightly careless.

FWIW I agreed with the Dangerfield decision

if Reid didn't want to bump Fyfe he didn't have to.

Case closed.

I saw two very different incidents in rounds 1 and 2 get 3 and 2 weeks respectively. I wouldn’t have been surprised if the first incident had got more weeks and I would have liked the second incident to have got no weeks.

Some here agree with me and some are quite adamant that the two similar outcomes were deserved. Fair enough, but I’m not so sure those applauding the Reid suspension will be all that happy about it when it comes to a player from there team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back