Game Day Reigning Premiers v The Brides Maids - beware the wounded Magpie

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't feel mad about this loss, we literally did the exact same thing in reverse to them in a Grand f'n Final. I'd never get over it if tonights game was last years Granny, but it isn't, it's a regular season game, there's always next week. If they're good enough they'll bounce back

Meh. Rather have the loss now and go on another winning streak at the pointy end. Pies have GWS away next weekend, we have Melbourne. Top 2 will be ours again within a couple weeks.

Enough with the excuses.

Wet weather, had no Cripps... who cares? They lost their best defender Moore early too, which left Darling on spuddy Maynard.

We didn't want it after 3QT and that's it.

McGovern, Barrass, Kennedy and to a lesser extent Hickey didn't do us any favours either to be honest. They were all beaten soundly by their direct opponent.

Loose 4 key tall matchup and you'll find it tough to win.
Pies really came up with a good tactic to minimise our aerial work. They marked or brought the ball to ground, to their advantage a s**t load.

Our smalls were pretty lazy, expecting a win from the talls and got caught out quite often.

Still, the pies killed it and we lost by a point. We always seem to like doing it the hard way for some reason.

Oh well!

PS Cole seemed to struggle with the pace and the pressure which was a bit disappointing. Always a risk when a young guy goes back a level and dominates. Hopefully he learns a lot from tonight.

For the umpteenth time this year players got to understand if you don't put in for four quarters of a game it makes it very difficult to win.

Mihocek chopped us up. Grundy monstered Thickey and we just looked out on our feet half way through the 3rd.

Rioli needs to get matchfit asap cos he was the difference in the contest in the first half along with Yeo.

Yeo being held onto relentlessly at every stoppage in 2nd half. Probably the reality check they needed though, getting a bit arrogant with nicnat back and waiting for him to produce something special to win without grinding it out for themselves.

Well done pies though, respect them for bouncing back like that, building a great rivalry with WC.

I can't feel mad about this loss, we literally did the exact same thing in reverse to them in a Grand f'n Final. I'd never get over it if tonights game was last years Granny, but it isn't, it's a regular season game, there's always next week. If they're good enough they'll bounce back

I'm not mad at Collingwood at all, good on them. Huge win for Bucks and their club.

I'm mad at our team.

Key players had absolute nightmares. Never have I seen Kennedy, McGovern and Barrass beaten so badly.

And we copped it all in the same game.

We went home half way through the 3rd quarter.

We wanted to lose this game as I said this arvo and I put my money where my mouth is and won!

Simmo didn't want the win and played like it in the 4th

I'm not mad at Collingwood at all, good on them. Huge win for Bucks and their club.

I'm mad at our team.

Key players had absolute nightmares. Never have I seen Kennedy, McGovern and Barrass beaten so badly.

And we copped it all in the same game.
Collingwood are still a good side though. They haven’t been great lately but at worst they’re a 6-8 side. We got belted for a half and still only lost by a point. Disappointing but s**t happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was some of the most laziest running I've witnessed. And it was all game, not just the last qtr. Collingwood wanted it, we thought it would just be given to us. Constantly caught behind the ball. Absolutely deserved that.

Oscar Allen took 3 strong grabs that should have been paid but weren't which would have released us from half back. Also thought Darling marked that ball 40m out and on a much better angle than where the ump placed the mark. Buckley's chat with the umps before the game paid off.

We didn't deserve to win on the back of the second half and the easy chances we blew away cost us in the end. At least this wasn't in September.

I hope I am wrong but we will lose tonight as a structured loss AND I"M GOING TO BET ON IT FOR INSURANCE REASONS
(Feel Free to Roast Me) Read below if you want to find my reasons.

I hate to be saying this but Collingwood have more to lose than we do and Simpson doesn't like being the favourite of the comp both in the past and in the present when we bombed in 2015 and won in 2018.

Terry Wallace even thinks we are the favs.
TLDR: Wallace has named Westcoast vs Richmond for the GF Quinella with Westcoast the Premiers

We are now widely being talked about as the media's Flag Fav's in Victoria after last weeks game. The betting circles took us from $6.5 last week for the premiership to $3.7 during the week now $4.

To put that into context, last year I put a bet on WC to win the flag after Richmond's shock loss to Collingwood in the prelims.
That bet was a huge punt with a stake of $620 @$4.5 and WC had already made it to the Prelims. They just needed to get thru Melb (in Perth) and Collingwood (MCG) at the time. The punt came off which put almost $2800 back into the account and paid for flights to London, Berlin and Prague which I booked and left within 5 days of the win.

We are now a shorter odds to win the Flag than we were < a week before the Grand Final last year. From a punting perspective that is an outrageous proposition.

So I'm going to say that we will lose against Collingwood and keep our powder dry for the finals. It won't be a transparent loss (or Simpson will cop it) but it will be something like a close 3 quarters and the fourth will be where we come undone with the players losing control due to tiredness and possibly overtraining or playing out of position.

Has anyone seen any videos from training this week? Is it suspicious that our two outs are from training injuries and we have no video of training on Snapchat or twitter which could mean anything but I suspect a brutal training sess or two.

We know Mick Malthouse used to overtrain the players to force a controlled loss and he coached us to two GF wins.

I hope I am wrong but with betting at over $3 (3.4-3.75) for Collingwood to win I'm putting an insurance bet on the Pies to pay for my 10 pints of beer I will need to cry myself to sleep after losing to Collingwood. If WC win my $30 punt to the bookmakers will be a word of warning to me overthinking a game we should win.

Amazing call mate.

Hope you don’t mind the intrusion but I agree with most of what you have written. You have the best list in the comp and are playing well. We are more a 6-8 list who got on a bit of a roll for a while at the end of 2018. At the moment we are woefully out of form and tonight could get way out of control. We have hardly looked like scoring recently.

One thing I have noticed a bit after reading your board a bit since late last year is there seems a feeling the Vic media have it in for the Eagles. My feeling is the opposite. Reckon you are pretty universally admired and get good press. Have been seen as one of the main benchmark teams for a long time now
cheers and congrats on the win - well deserved!

Gonna be a few posts from this thread quoted on other boards tonight.
Meh, so what.

Swings and roundabouts.

What we say has ZERO bearing on the outcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back