Certified Legendary Thread REIMAGINE MOORABBIN (Total Raised: $10,360.25)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
plugger66....that would have been an absolutely amazing night/experience.

It was unbelievable. I had already had a huge day at the pub because my local side won the flag the day before and we were still at the pub and the minute he won I got a sober mate to drive to me to Moorabbin. I was that pissed and then he came in around 2 hours later. There was probably only 60 people there so it was easy to speak to him. Probably didn't understand a word I said but I do remember asking him to put the brownlow around my neck. Walked home and as I went to walk in the door my dad was going to work and remember just yelling out plugger as loud as I could at 5.30 in the morning. Then had to get on the grog that arvo. That was tough.

Haha...the first family day back at Moorabbin will be absolutely chockers...I cannot wait to get down there.

I was there for the last game and it was pretty full....but then so was I. I only got a couple of years towards the end of Moorabbin to enjoy it. We had a mate from basketball who worked in the beer portable and he'd let us underage drink and just as a I could legit drink we ended up in Waverley. Moorabbin doesn't hold as many memories as Waverley for me but still see it as the spiritual home.

I was there for the last game and it was pretty full....but then so was I. I only got a couple of years towards the end of Moorabbin to enjoy it. We had a mate from basketball who worked in the beer portable and he'd let us underage drink and just as a I could legit drink we ended up in Waverley. Moorabbin doesn't hold as many memories as Waverley for me but still see it as the spiritual home.
I'm the same mate - Waverley for me is where I have most of my early Saints memories - but I know what Moorabbin means to a lot of people and having watched the boys train there through the 90's and hearing the stories about the place it will be a huge moment for the club when we're settled in there.

but I know what Moorabbin means to a lot of people and having watched the boys train there through the 90's and hearing the stories about the place it will be a huge moment for the club when we're settled in there.
George...when you mentioned about watching the boys train there....I remember in the late 70's....we were pretty bad then but not as bad as we were in the mid 80's.....a group of us would ride our push bikes down to the ground(most of us were doing HSC then) and watch training....we didn't talk about our great wins...we just had a laugh at our terrible/horrible losses....was bizarre when you think about it but it's all we had.

I think it was about then big Carl had come back after his stint at Melbourne......the ball flew over the fence towards us...one of the guys kicked it back....to big Carl.

He said thanks and we all went into shock....he sounded like a mouse...not this big feared enforcer we all thought he was...lol.

Saturday arvo special...........

Was in Moorabbin late arvo yesterday........popped by the ground........fencing was going up around the old carpark.......which I expect will be closed soon when the balance of the Huggins stand comes down.....

The surface of the ground looks an absolute treat.

Here's some pics I took yesterday.....View attachment 471454 View attachment 471455 View attachment 471456 View attachment 471457 View attachment 471458 View attachment 471460 View attachment 471461 View attachment 471462

ripping work mate that looks amazing!!!

Stjonesy

Team Captain
Dec 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dad played squash for the saints at moorabbin in the 80's, so we were there all the time outside of the games. The place is my childhood. Memories of the social club entry, all us kids would just walk in so Dad didn't have to pay, probably saved $1. Stood with the same blokes from the squash club every week, great men, only a few of them still alive now who hobble along to the games still drinking as much as they did then.
Memories of being there til late on a Saturday night if dad had a designated driver, kicking the footy on the ground in the dark. Plugger was my world back then, worshipped the man. Great vivid memories still today of the moorabbin games, the song from the 80s, watching Lockett dominate, the old scoreboard, the wind sock, the blue time clock in the outer that didn't seem to move for 4 minutes then would roll over. The last couple of years when we finally become decent, being packed in like sardines, lockouts by 12.30 for the big games. A sad day when we left, a part of us died that day .

Stood with the same blokes from the squash club every week, great men, only a few of them still alive now who hobble along to the games still drinking as much as they did then.
Great memories there Stjonesy.......when I first started work....a few guys there were members of the Saints Squash club......I was always hearing stories of their escapades in that building.

And the Saints bowls club which was adjacent to the Huggins Stand........I remember that being packed with players when I was a kid.

In the early 90's they turned the clubhouse(an original house) into a coterie room also.........we needed all the bucks we could back then....hey...nothings changed...lol.

I used to ride my push bike to the ground and watch the new main grandstand extension being built........ahhhhh......the memories that you haven't thought about for years.....which are being triggered with all the talk with our return Moorabbin.

There used to be a guy on the main Linton St gate,which got you into the Social Club carpark.........he from memory had a scar on his face and struck the fear of God into all of us........nothing and nobody got past him or that gate without his ok.

Jun 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I saved some photos and videos from Instagram but we'll probably be seeing more later on today. I'll put the videos under a spoiler tag so the post isn't too media-heavy.

2nJhWCC.jpg

HxazvqG.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
super excited to be taking some of the WA members over in round 20 to tour the facilities ... i remember the last time i was there the sad state the place was looking so ill be really keen to see it now.. hopefully the donation wall will be up by then so we can see the plaque the Western Saints purchased in the names of the Western Saints, Nicky Winmar and the WA past players..
hopefully Georgie gets her space for the Heritage Museum sorted as thats a very important part of the return home in my opinion .. The Western Saints have even chipped in to buy a couple display cases for it ..

This is a great story...

I was good friends with Brett's daughter, Sophie, before she sadly passed away in early 2015.

Very heart-warming to see from the club. The Sullivan's are very proud Sainters and Soph would absolutely love this moment if she was here today!

Well done St.Kilda.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
This is a great story...

I was good friends with Brett's daughter, Sophie, before she sadly passed away in early 2015.

Very heart-warming to see from the club. The Sullivan's are very proud Sainters and Soph would absolutely love this moment if she was here today!

Well done St.Kilda.

Met his son at a party last week and we were talking about Sophie. His son has muscles on muscles and is tall but unfortunately doesn't play footy. Wouldn't mind him at my local club. I actually think I went to school with Brett.

was good friends with Brett's daughter, Sophie, before she sadly passed away in early 2015.

Well done St.Kilda.
George....I usually see him doing things every time I drop by the ground.

That's so sad to hear about his daughter.

What a magnificent gesture by the club to have him cutting the ribbon alongside Prez !!!!!!!!

He would have felt incredibly proud.

As you said...well done Saints !!!!!!

cooperrules

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2012
East Bentleigh
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Lakers, Leeds united
Wheres the red white and black on the building? Theres 4 red random windows to offset the black and white on the ground side. ******* hell that looks s**t.

Murraj1966

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wheres the red white and black on the building? Theres 4 red random windows to offset the black and white on the ground side. ******* hell that looks s**t.

Yeah it didn't look St Kilda enough with the massive logo above the door and massive logo on the ground did it.

* me some people are never happy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back