Certified Legendary Thread REIMAGINE MOORABBIN (Total Raised: $10,360.25)

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a couple of pics from RSEA this morning.

Internal work is powering along.

All external walls are nearly complete.

All the bitumen from the old carparks was being ripped up today along with the footpath and Linton St guttering...….to get ready for the exterior landscaping and front driveway.

20180912_102708.jpg

20180912_102857.jpg
20180912_102910.jpg

Thanks for the rap George......I love going down there weekly and seeing the progress.....it's very exciting.

Once this part of the project is finished,I believe they will be starting shortly after with the final stage.

I know Georgie Day can't wait for this section to be complete so she can start setting up all the Heritage Museum displays.

Such a shame NOTHING was preserved, nothing at all.
Just looks soulless to me.
Its obviously a high end, high quality facility.
But I dont give a s**t about that to be honest, Im looking for something to connect to me to remind me of the countless games I watched there. But no, trust the saints to not think about that.
Animal cage could have stayed, this is the most obvious one.
Scoreboard...
Bloody windsock...
Something?
Nup.
Oh well.

But I dont give a s**t about that to be honest, Im looking for something to connect to me to remind me of the countless games I watched there. But no, trust the saints to not think about that.
Scoreboard...
Bloody windsock...
Something?
Nup.
Oh well.
Know you love to hang s**t on the club but perhaps wait until it's actually finished first...

Know you love to hang s**t on the club but perhaps wait until it's actually finished first...
Well George, I have been there many times over the duration of the demolishing, and I saw nothing left standing, not a single thing. I think therefore that is far comment.
Club has cocked it up in this respect, no escaping that.

Well George, I have been there many times over the duration of the demolishing, and I saw nothing left standing, not a single thing. I think therefore that is far comment.
Club has cocked it up in this respect, no escaping that.
In your opinion of course.

Scoreboard...
Bloody windsock...
Something?
Nup.
Oh well.
The old stand was in a bad state of disrepear. Chances it would of cost a bit of coin to redo even a small bit.

i love when there's an update to this thread with new photos. daaaammmnnn they look good
I know you’re impressed but you cannot appreciate the size of the development unless here. With completion of Stage 3, we will have buildings stretching at least half way around the ground. Something the original Moorabbin didn’t, though close. What’s more impressive is the original Moorabbin was basically one stand, with empty space underneath. Yes, sure the Social Club and the two club rooms reduced that but it was what it was: under-utilised and empty space. Here though, basically all of the construction is utilised. And purpose built.
The Board gets a lot of criticism but I got to say that leveraging a $5mill (mostly donated) contribution into a $50mill asset over a four year time frame is damned impressive.
You need to jump on a plane when Stage 3 is complete.

The old stand was in a bad state of disrepear. Chances it would of cost a bit of coin to redo even a small bit.
Yeah I accept they had to go. Wasnt expecting them to stay.
Like I said as a facility it looks might impressive.
Im just sad there is no tip of the hat to the past and the history of games there for those that spent so maay weeks down there.
Oh well Ill live.

Yeah I accept they had to go. Wasnt expecting them to stay.
Like I said as a facility it looks might impressive.
Im just sad there is no tip of the hat to the past and the history of games there for those that spent so maay weeks down there.
Oh well Ill live.
I agree with you Mr B.
I too would have loved a marker to that ground’s history.
Perhaps we can revisit the windsock, scoreboard, animal cage after the development is completed.
An Animal Cage dedication day: now that would attract some interesting characters.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new Moorabbin looks great. I'm sure they will add bits and pieces in time , but maintenance costs for keeping a massive rusty old scoreboard , and then having to pay multiple people to work it , and ideas like that make no sense to me. Adding the mesh fenced animal enclosure , might help the old guys with a poor memory reminisce , but it would seriously look shite and cut off access around an already big facility. I would rather we have a small electronic scoreboard and put up a few statues of club legends , and continue with the cracking modern look. There will be enough history in the museum , and perhaps a rolling vid of what things looked like back in the day.

Working near Linton Street next week, just wondering if they've rebuilt the social club? Wouldn't mind dropping into enemy territory for a pot or 2.
The Social Club is open for business.....just follow the "Moorabbin Social" signs.

At the moment(until the 2nd stage is finished)....the bar area which will eventually be for the Pokies players is where you can enjoy a couple of quieties.

The Social Club is open for business.....just follow the "Moorabbin Social" signs.

At the moment(until the 2nd stage is finished)....the bar area which will eventually be for the Pokies players is where you can enjoy a couple of quieties.

Ripper, look forward to it. Thanks mate.

I hope they move the cup from that corridor away from everyone who wants to see it and put it somewhere in the new area.
I believe Murraj1966 that the cup will be displayed in the Heritage Museum area once that is all set up in the finished building.

Im assuming after thats done theres going to be 2 bars? One facing the pokies and one the other way?

Im assuming after thats done theres going to be 2 bars? One facing the pokies and one the other way?
Yes Pakenhamsaint….there will be a bar catering for the Pokies area....and a larger café/bar area with an outdoor terrace to the right of the new entrance.

h6dO4az.png

Further to George's vid above on the update.....here's a couple of pics from last Thursday arvo…….it's pretty exciting to think it will be completed by the end of next month.

Then Stage 2 will commence.

20181018_123600.jpg

Beyond the blue fencing above....all the paving for kerbs is complete.....soil is down for landscaping.

20181018_131007.jpg

20181018_131317.jpg
The terracing work facing the ground is nearly complete.....concrete was being poured at the back of the pic.
At the top of the steps above will be the outdoor seating area for the café.

20181018_131917.jpg

20181018_132134.jpg

Here's a pic I took in the evening at a past players function at RSEA mid Sept.

From the outside.....the place looks fantastic when lit up at night.

20180913_211624.jpg

That was the first past players event that I have attended.....all proceeds from the night went to the past players fund.

This was the 2nd night of this type and somehow I missed the first one.

The night was all about the 1997 Prelim final......Stan Alves was in attendance(was great to see him again and he's a great speaker.....could listen to his thoughts till the cows come home) Heater...Burkey and Tony Brown were "on the panel" with Stan.

About 60 people rocked up and it was a great night.

Each 1/4 was played on the big screen and at the end of each 1/4......each of them would stand up and give a quick review of things....was awesome seeing Heater again.....he's a character.

Could never get my head around him having that great year in 1997 and then basically vanishing off the radar.

Hosted by the one and only Bruce Eva who as usual did an awesome job with his endless stats and thoughts.

For those of you within a reasonable drive time of RSEA....Beva said the first function next year will be a night featuring the SYD V STK game of 1994.....that last 1/4....8 goals down come back game with Plugger nailing the winner...….was so incredibly fortunate to have been at that game.

Plugger kicked 10 that afternoon and earnt an 8 week holiday courtesy of re arranging Caven's face with his elbow.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back