Remove this Banner Ad

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
Hi all, hoping I can get some relationship advice off you guys.

I am 43 male and live in Brisbane. I separated from my wife 2 and half years ago and we got divorced in March of this year. I have two kids (10 and 9) and have 50/50 custody with the mother. We are not amiable and only communicate in regards to the kids.

Thanks

Last edited:

Hi all, hoping I can get some relationship advice off you guys.

I am 43 male and live in Brisbane. I separated from my wife 2 and half years ago and we got divorced in March of this year. I have two kids (10 and 9) and have 50/50 custody with the mother. We are not amiable and only communicate in regards to the kids.

I have recently started dating an old friend of mine who I met 30 years ago. I was good mates with her brother growing up but he passed away about 15 years ago.

She also went through a messy divorce. She has two kids (a 14 year old boy and a 12 year old girl). Her ex has the boy once a week, but the daughter refuses to spend time with the dad (nothing sinister, he is just a sh**ty dad). So she has custody of her daughter full time.

I am finding her to be amazing, we speak on the phone every night for hours, and can seriously see us spending the rest of our lives together.

Challenge is due to our custody of our kids, we only see each other once a fortnight. Whilst we have constant phone communication, I am finding it frustrating that we can't see each other more often.

Given we also live on the opposite sides of Brisbane and our kids go to their various schools, we will not be living together for at least another 9 years.

Hoping anyone can give me some advice on how I can make this work (especially if you have been through a similar situation).

Thanks
It will be an unpopular opinion on here, but if its recreational fun, thats fine. However she has multiple red flags, you should not be aiming to have any medium to long term future with and I think your current life predicament, you should be searching for a relationship that is easy and stress free.

I have a friend who has been in a relationship for about 3 years now and he lives 2hrs away and again because of shared custody and work commitments they only see each other every second weekend. Like you she’s still at least 6 years away from being able to move. It’s been hard work and there’s been some “moments” but it works.

If you and her want the relationship enough then leave it as it is. Over time it will become easier.

Like Jack the Godfather said, if it’s meant to be, it will work itself out

Don't commit to anything as there's way too many roadblocks. Potentially down the track one of you might have to move closer if it all works out but no time soon.

Don't be a doormat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back