Relationship with alcohol

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, didn’t mean to pry.

The job I’ve been in the last two years, the first 6 months - 12 months (basically all of 2016) I felt more anxious than ever before and had a couple of very minor panic attacks.

But my confidence has grown as I’ve settled into the company and my role.

My point is I think anxiety is more common than most people think and you almost wouldn’t expect the people who suffer from it. And there is no one solution to dealing with it. Also dealing with anxiety is not as simple as “hey don’t worry about it”

Do you drink coffee or black tea? My SO's ditched both and his anxiety is a lot better at work now.

Do you drink coffee or black tea? My SO's ditched both and his anxiety is a lot better at work now.

No to coffee, people think I’m weird because I don’t like it. But yes I have a green tea every morning

Fair enough, didn’t mean to pry.

The job I’ve been in the last two years, the first 6 months - 12 months (basically all of 2016) I felt more anxious than ever before and had a couple of very minor panic attacks.

But my confidence has grown as I’ve settled into the company and my role.

My point is I think anxiety is more common than most people think and you almost wouldn’t expect the people who suffer from it. And there is no one solution to dealing with it. Also dealing with anxiety is not as simple as “hey don’t worry about it”
Anxiety is a very common thing. Almost everyone will go through it/has it at some point in their lives. Be it professional athletes, doctors, lawyers, crims, everyday people.

Anyone and everyone.

Probably not great but also relatively normal for my age. I'm quite a social person and think I've had an 'event' on every weekend for the past couple of months so each time it's ended in a binge drinking session. I don't touch alcohol at all during the week but I'd like to cut my bigger weekly sessions to a couple of times a month. It's hard when all your friends are doing the same, so the alternatives are either not attending events, or attending sober which is incredibly frustrating when you're around others that are drunk.

Probably not great but also relatively normal for my age. I'm quite a social person and think I've had an 'event' on every weekend for the past couple of months so each time it's ended in a binge drinking session. I don't touch alcohol at all during the week but I'd like to cut my bigger weekly sessions to a couple of times a month. It's hard when all your friends are doing the same, so the alternatives are either not attending events, or attending sober which is incredibly frustrating when you're around others that are drunk.

It can be frustrating but also has benefits - I don't mind being the designated driver

I love alcohol, wish I could drink it without getting drunk.
Taste, aroma, culture, history, chemistry, it has it all. Love trying different types of booze from around the world and understanding why it exists and all its cultural nuances.

And cocktails, well it's just like cooking, the chemistry of ingredients, lots of fun and challenges to be had discovering new things.

But it ruins my motivation for exercise and makes me make stupid food choices and ruins my sleep, so these days I prefer quality over quantity and will limit drinking to a couple cocktails or whiskeys on the weekend, which sometimes blows out to a s**t ton of whiskey.

I drink most weekends, heavily.

I hang for it after the working week and I have some serious fun most weekends

BUT.

It does have a very negative affect on me, and it's only getting worse. Sluggish at work during the week, lack of sleep, moody, sometimes chest pains. But by Friday I'm recovered and ready to do it again.

I drink most weekends, heavily.

I hang for it after the working week and I have some serious fun most weekends

BUT.

It does have a very negative affect on me, and it's only getting worse. Sluggish at work during the week, lack of sleep, moody, sometimes chest pains. But by Friday I'm recovered and ready to do it again.
How old are you?

I don't drink at all, haven't drunk really since I was 21 (31 now).

I used to get awful acid reflux from drinking and decided it wasn't worth it.

I really hate when I go out though and people give me grief about not drinking, I don't need alcohol to have fun.

I don't drink at all, haven't drunk really since I was 21 (31 now).

I used to get awful acid reflux from drinking and decided it wasn't worth it.

I really hate when I go out though and people give me grief about not drinking, I don't need alcohol to have fun.

You took that whole "I'm never drinking again" and actually stuck with it. That's amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very tumultuous! 1 is too many, 10 isn’t enough. I had an 18 month hiatus when I was 25 and it was the best I have ever felt, but for some reason I started drinking again. So many times I have set myself not to drink on the weekend, but my arm is so bendy. It’s not a healthy choice for me, but I can’t quite give it up for good yet.

I honestly think if you can’t commit to, and stick with, one month of not drinking that’s an issue. It’s not hard at all, even if you have to cherry pick the month.
very dependant on your life, if your mates are going out or your at parties you'd have to sacrifice.

*sigh*

Again. Cherry pick the month if you have to, it’s a month.

FWIW I don’t care if you do or don’t do it in my opinion if you “can’t” you’ve got a bit of an issue with alcohol.
you could do it with anything, booze, takeway food, meat, exercise, etc
commit to doing or not doing something for a month and see if you can

the less of a change it is from your normal lifestyle the easier it would be to succeed

drink once a week, you only have to say no to yourself 4-5 times, drink more than that you have to say no more often

i think how many times you have to say no indicates how much you are hooked into whatever it is and that does give you a pretty good idea of whether you are doing that thing too much

Remove this Banner Ad

Back