Relationship with alcohol

Remove this Banner Ad

If you’re going there for a meal and to watch the footy, and you’re having a few soda waters, who cares? Some pubs do great food and if you’re lucky enough to live near one, good on you. Plus a Friday night vibe? Everyone will just assume you’re on the gin and tonics and who cares regardless... better than being the bloke refused service even with 25 mates there.

Overdue catch up, pub venue, no drinks? Fine.

But if it’s your s**t kicker mates you see every week then I wouldn’t go. If it’s just a self-imposed or medical thing and you aren’t drinking because of that, then why go? You’ll have another beer. I couldn’t really sit there looking at amberies wishing that was me talking nonsense.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What a bizarre convo.

Go to the pub and have 15 beers and 5 cc and drys, go to the pub and have 2 beers, go to the pub and have no beers. Who cares. I’ve been to the pub for big sporting events and not had a drink for various reasons, I’ve been to the pub for no particular reason on a Wednesday night and wound up doing shots at 2am for no reason. What difference does any of it make.

FWIW in a thread where we’re discussing individual relationships with alcohol “that” post was pretty odd and judging people who go to a pub and don’t drink is a weird thing to do, whilst I understand the intent of it, I’d rather be in a pub with 5 guys not drinking than 5 guys getting absolutely sloshed, trying to pick up the barmaids and generally making knobs of themselves and that’s whether I’m drinking or not.

Why would you go to the pub with five men and none of you drink? Either go bum yourselves at Wet On Wellington or go to someone’s house. Like, go sit in a café?

Could be sport on, could be a central location, could want to get out of the house, why do you care?

Why would you go to the pub with five men and none of you drink? Either go bum yourselves at Wet On Wellington or go to someone’s house. Like, go sit in a café?

You have some strange views on life.
You're also coming across as quite homophobic

I will catch up with mates once a month at the pub sometimes it’s a week night or a Friday night. They will happily have 2-3 pots. Most times I won’t drink either I have footy the next day or I’m watching what I’m eating and drinking 3 beers isn’t in my diet.

Sometimes myself and 3 best mates may just catchup for a meal at the pub and none of us drink. We just don’t feel like we have to drink, so we just talk s**t and have a laugh.

I will catch up with mates once a month at the pub sometimes it’s a week night or a Friday night. They will happily have 2-3 pots. Most times I won’t drink either I have footy the next day or I’m watching what I’m eating and drinking 3 beers isn’t in my diet.

Sometimes myself and 3 best mates may just catchup for a meal at the pub and none of us drink. We just don’t feel like we have to drink, so we just talk s**t and have a laugh.
It's the hardest thing with the stigma of going to a pub. Most people will look at you funny and ask if there is something wrong if you don't have a drink at a pub or bar.

I love getting a meal at a pub or small bar, food quality to price is great and they have great specials most nights. I also don't feel like I have to drink anymore to have fun and have a laugh. My sleeping suffers terribly from drinking and it just feels like it is a waste given the hard work I do exercising.

I once bought an avocado to a pub and ate it with a spoon because I didn’t want pub food.

Moral of the Story: who ******* cares.

Incredibly lame seeing grown men sitting at bars/pubs and they are all drinking soft drink.

I put it in the same category as men who drink milkshakes after 12:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I could really go a milk shake right now, at least I could drink a milk shake if I could get my hands on one, stuck working so can't have anything stronger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredibly lame seeing grown men sitting at bars/pubs and they are all drinking soft drink.

I put it in the same category as men who drink milkshakes after 12:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What difference does it make to you, honest question, would you rather go sit next to a group absolutely hammered behaving like flogs or a group of sober blokes?

What difference does it make to you, honest question, would you rather go sit next to a group absolutely hammered behaving like flogs or a group of sober blokes?

Bunch of drunk blokes, might get a few laughs out of it at least. Wouldn't go to a pub in the first place if I was worried about sitting near drunk people in the first place.

Friend brought his own food to the pub and didn’t drink before going to the Killers concert.
His friends don’t seem too concerned

I'm a non drinker and go to pubs quite regularly for a meal/social gatherings, there are around a dozen pubs within a few kilometers of where I live and the food is fantastic and reasonably priced.

I'm a non drinker and go to pubs quite regularly for a meal/social gatherings, there are around a dozen pubs within a few kilometers of where I live and the food is fantastic and reasonably priced.
Most pubs have had to lift their food game over the past 10-15 years which means it's easier to not drink at a pub than ever before.
The last two times I've been to the pub I've driven because of social events before and after, no problem to have just a couple and then drink water.

I Googled wet on Wellington, Silent Alarm am I leaping here or are you suggesting everyone who doesn’t drink at the pub is gay?
That's a bit homophobic?

If you never see your mates or you have a day off, footy's on, nice arvo, nothing to do, and the message comes through of 'ah few of us going down to ---' and they drink, that's not that weird. Good on you if you can sit on the soda waters or have a parma and hang s**t on Nathan Buckley. I think that's actually really healthy and pretty admirable.

But your idea of like six blokes in their 20s or 30s all going down the pub and not one of them having a drop of alcohol... that's a bit weird. I mean pub food isn't that amazing. Go down and grab some Vietnamese or something somewhere, go have a barbecue. It just seems really weird to go to a pub and not a single person drinks... I mean if it ends up that way sure, but a bunch of teetotallers for life/the night... just seems odd.

My issue isn't in being sober or being someone who can go to pissy events and not drink. I've said heaps on here throughout the years, I think that's a cool thing.

Anyway this whole thread is now people demonising those who drink too much. At the end of the day I drink far too much and dickheads on the internet can give me a test and say 'yep, you're a pisshead' – I've done those quizzes where they ask if you feel guilty for drinking afterwards, have made a mistake drunk, or spend too much on it (lol). If I want to sink piss I can. If you want to drink iodised water or go for beach runs every Sunday, do it, cool, great. I don't really want to live that lifestyle. I have more and more vegan days every week, no milk ever, no bread ever, no sugar ever... I'm not a at slob, but I do love my piss. It's the one sacrifice and vice I have. Some people are health nuts and afford themselves, I dunno, a cheat day where they eat maccas and pizza for four hours straight every two weeks. So what? As long as you're healthy that's fine. And to question it is healthy. That's the point of this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back