Analysis Relative Ratings: An exercise of comparing stats in context

Remove this Banner Ad

The Premise
You’re almost certain to have observed a post on BigFooty along these lines:

“Ruckman X got 3 more hitouts than Ruckman Y this round, in two completely separate games, so clearly they are better!”

It’s never sat right with me that people do this, without considering that (for example) a game might be higher scoring, meaning centre stoppages are more common resulting in more opportunities for hitouts.

If we think about goals, are two players kicking 2 goals really the same if one is in a high-paced, high-scoring game, and the other is coached by Ross Lyon?

Of course not, right? So, it got me thinking: What if I were able to obtain second-by-second stats from a game and then be able to rank those stats in relation to what other players achieved in that quarter?

I mean 10 disposals in a quarter is impressive, but what if there’s other players with 15 or 20? It’s less impressive relative to the flow of that particular game. Similarly, kicking 1 goal in a wet game is impressive, but not that impressive in a shootout.

The Execution
Through the power of prayer and positive thinking, I obtained this data and built a system:

• For each quarter of a game, each players’ stats will be recorded
  • Each stat (e.g. goals, hitouts to advantage, contested posessions, score launches, etc) will be normalised by assessing the minimum/maximum of that statistic in the quarter
  • All stats counts for a quarter will therefore be on a common scale between 0 and 1
  • For each quarter, the player gets ranked for that stat on the following scale:

[TD valign="bottom"] CATEGORY [/TD][TD valign="bottom"] MINIMUM SCORE [/TD][TD valign="bottom"] MAXIMUM SCORE [/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]EXCELLENT[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.8​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
1.0​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]GOOD[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.6​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.8​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]FAIR[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.4​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.6​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]POOR[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.2​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.5​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]BAD[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.2​
[/TD]

From there, I then took each player and mapped out the % of quarters in EXCELLENT/GOOD rating

The Insights

Below are some charts for some selected stats from 2021, to illustrate the results. For all the below insights, a limit was set that at least 53 quarters had to be played throughout 2021, which was the median across players according to the data I had. The full set of data is much larger, but a lot of it is not particularly interesting.

Hitouts to Advantage
1630583068439.png
  • Hitout machine Nic Naitanui had 82.14% of his 2021 Quarters rated as Excellent/Good
  • This chart highlights the elite ruckmen of the competion, with the first 9 ruckmen rated as Excellent/Good in at least 50% of quarters, with a sharp decline with 10th placed Rhys Stanley

Contested Intercept Marks
1630584777890.png
  • Despite averaging an intercept mark less than intercept average leader Jake Lever, Jeremy McGovern ranks #1 in contested intercept marks
    • He ranked EXCELLENT/GOOD in over a third of his 2021 quarters
Frees For
1630585886993.png
  • Luke Parker has the 7th most toal frees in 2021, yet he ranks #53 (not pictured) in the Relative Ratings
    • In only 11 quarters of Parker's season was he rated as a Excellent/Good free-receiver in the quarter.
      • Marcus Bontempelli (received 2 more frees in 2021), was rated Excellent/Good in 19 quarters, for comparison.
  • In the other direction, Brodie Grundy barely sits inside the top 25 players for total Frees For, and yet he places 8th in the Relative Ratings

Goals
1630583352273.png
  • Matt Taberner, despite coming 20th in the Coleman, jumps to 4th place in the Relative Ratings
    • 35% of the Fremantle forward's 2021 quarters were rated as Excellent/Good
  • Tom Hawkins kicked more 2021 goals than Franklin, Greene, Tabener, and King, yet places behind all in the Relative Ratings
    • ~5% fewer of Hawkins' quarters were viewed as Excellent/Good than Franklin's
The… other part where I acknowledge shortcomings of the system and end the post

At the end of the day, I'm a footy enthusiate who works in software dev, but I'm not a statician or a trained data scientist. Take any of the "insights" above with a grain of salt, and at most something to think about when shitfighting in All-Australian threads. These games don't exist in a controlled environment. Australian Rules Football by its design is a 360 degree field of chaos. It has an incredible amount of variables that can influence the pace of football played (e.g. weather), the way certain stats are gained (e.g. high-stoppage vs low-stoppage games), and even the way a game is officiated. The difference between two players in a game or a season can not be determined by a Footywire player comparison link.

I did this mostly for me because I've gone a bit stir-crazy in lockdown, but maybe others will find something interest in it.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I like this method for goals not that I have any intelligent justification off the top of my head.

The ruck example reminds me of Will Minson’s dud AA selection. He had good totals because the Dogs played a really high stoppage game plan. There’s no way he should have gotten AA ahead of I think Goldstein that year.

I’m not sure I like this method for goals not that I have any intelligent justification off the top of my head.

The ruck example reminds me of Will Minson’s dud AA selection. He had good totals because the Dogs played a really high stoppage game plan. There’s no way he should have gotten AA ahead of I think Goldstein that year.

It's definitely more useful for some stats over others. I still think it works with goals, overall. Tim Taranto kicking a goal in a 12 goal quarter in Round 14 is rated as Fair where Peter Wright's goal in a 2 goal quarter in Round 17 is Excellent. And fair enough, Wright kicked half the goals for the quarter, where Taranto snuck a goal in during a goal bonanza.

Bulldogs vs kangaroos Minson had more clearances and more hitouts than Goldstein. No idea what the hitouts to advantage was like. Acknowledge that Goldstein was a bit better around the ground but Minson had a fantastic season as a tap ruckman.

Not intended as a criticism, more a clarification of what is an intercept mark as distinct from a mark in the back half. My understanding originally its where a backman left his man & backed himself to intercept an attack. In the last half of 2021 it seemed to be a backman taking any mark.
What is it here?

& good work :thumbsu:

Not intended as a criticism, more a clarification of what is an intercept mark as distinct from a mark in the back half. My understanding originally its where a backman left his man & backed himself to intercept an attack. In the last half of 2021 it seemed to be a backman taking any mark.
What is it here?

& good work :thumbsu:

Intercept mark can be taken anywhere, just has to be from an opposition kick

4d5f80323e8d40893384f899d71d2238.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Bulldogs vs kangaroos Minson had more clearances and more hitouts than Goldstein. No idea what the hitouts to advantage was like. Acknowledge that Goldstein was a bit better around the ground but Minson had a fantastic season as a tap ruckman.

Yes the bulldogs were a really high stoppage team which inflated Minson’s stats

It's definitely more useful for some stats over others. I still think it works with goals, overall. Tim Taranto kicking a goal in a 12 goal quarter in Round 14 is rated as Fair where Peter Wright's goal in a 2 goal quarter in Round 17 is Excellent. And fair enough, Wright kicked half the goals for the quarter, where Taranto snuck a goal in during a goal bonanza.
It really is an interesting thing to consider with different stats and different game styles. Ie the Lions are a low possession-high kick team (kick it forward as quickly as possible is mostly the plan) versus the dogs who are high possession-high handballs (sharing the ball around more before moving it forward). So a guy like Jarrod Lyons (average 28 touches) is often rated a bit below other inside mids (ie Mitchell 34, Macrae 34, Laird 32, Parish 30). Is he a bit below them or are we not looking at things close enough to understand them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back