Relegation Battle

Boro if they can keep the core of their squad together might start next season as one of the favourites to come back. Though I did read a stat that only a handful of teams have bounced back with promotion after relegation (might be something like 3 or 4 in 6 seasons IIRC).

Really? Their squad is awful.

Really? Their squad is awful.

I mean obviously a lot can change with players/managers etc coming and going but defensively they had a pretty good season. If they can keep most of those guys together (Gibson might be a big loss if he leaves which seems likely), that's half the equation potentially. Obviously their glaring issue this season was goals but Bamford and Gestede (if either/both stay) are proven scorers in the Championship and might be able to fire the goals they need for a promotion push. If the current squad stayed the same (before departures etc), I don't think it would struggle put it that way.

I suppose though you could just as easily point at say a Norwich who came down, predominantly backed the same squad (with minimal changes) to get them up. Norwich to their credit started well setting the pace early before falling away. Either way, no guarantees at this stage. Next year's field will be tough. Another PL side to come down looking to bounce back. Plus 3 of the current 4 playoff sides will obviously miss out this season. Villa and Norwich should be ready for stronger seasons. Ambitious clubs like Wolves and Birmingham might gear up for promotion pushes. Leeds came close and a bit more investment might make the difference.

I think ultimately, a lot of it comes down to the owner and Boro (at least compared to both Sunderland and us) are probably the best run of the three IMO. Give Agnew or whoever comes in a decent budget and let them get on with the job. Will be keeping a keen eye on them next season. Despite the rivalry status, I have a soft spot for the Smogs. :p

Finally seen a proper view of Sunderland's second goal.

How. Many. *******. Times. This. Season.

Just get ****ed officials. Seriously.

Defoe Goal.JPG

(By the way that's my crisp Optus image quality at the moment)

Finally seen a proper view of Sunderland's second goal.

How. Many. *******. Times. This. Season.

Just get ****** officials. Seriously.

View attachment 368729

(By the way that's my crisp Optus image quality at the moment)
Here is something clearer for you.
Untitled.jpg

Here is something clearer for you.
View attachment 368730

It's ******* garbage. It's actually ridiculous. We've had so many SO MANY decisions go against us this season, and clear cut decisions like that one. And hey, it's not like our GD might have been important.

Do you have a clear image of Niasse breaking Ndong's leg the other week? How we had a red for that horrific tackle overturned boggles the mind.
You mean Niang from Watford? Optus take down games from the on demand section after a week or 2.

You mean Niang from Watford? Optus take down games from the on demand section after a week or 2.

Woops, that's the one. Too many N names going around.

The only small positive in that missed call is that you were already going to lose the game anyway.

Hopefully GD doesn't play a part in the relegation fight though.

The accumulation of all the terrible calls though is what is getting to me though. Going all the way back to Huddlestone fouling Gray outside the area on opening day and you scoring a pen.

At least you got the 3 points that day. I think out of the 2 of us, I may have been more frustrated about opening day haha.

Of course, but we're talking GD here.

Currently -5 on Swansea, -18 on Palace.

I don't think it'll come to GD but you'd be spewing if it did. Palace basically have an extra point on you really.

Which is my point, we've had probably a dozen decisions over the course of the season that have directly cost us goals.

Is it really as high as 12?

I've not followed Swansea but it'd be interesting to see what they've had in comparison.

Someone did a run through of them earlier in the season, but there've been a number of pens not given to us (Snodgrass v Burnley, Hernandez v Chelsea, Niasse v Southampton just off the top of my head) and a number of decisions that have gone against us leading to opposition goals (Gray on opening day, Mata, Defoe). That's just off the top of my head and I'm up to 6 already.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Someone did a run through of them earlier in the season, but there've been a number of pens not given to us (Snodgrass v Burnley, Hernandez v Chelsea, Niasse v Southampton just off the top of my head) and a number of decisions that have gone against us leading to opposition goals (Gray on opening day, Mata, Defoe). That's just off the top of my head and I'm up to 6 already.
Every team has them.

You're not gonna go down because of those decisions. You're gonna go down because your team is not good enough to stay up over the course of a 38 game season.

Every team has them.

You're not gonna go down because of those decisions. You're gonna go down because your team is not good enough to stay up over the course of a 38 game season.

We've had this discussion already Jod, let's not do it again. Ours have been out of the ordinary because of the frequency.

Apart from the penalties/non-penalties, you can throw in the red cards/non red cards - Niasse's for instance, and Gibbs not being sent off for Arsenal when the score was 0-0.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
We've had this discussion already Jod, let's not do it again. Ours have been out of the ordinary because of the frequency.

Apart from the penalties/non-penalties, you can throw in the red cards/non red cards - Niasse's for instance, and Gibbs not being sent off for Arsenal when the score was 0-0.
Nah, every team gets poor decisions. If you dont stay up, you're just not good enough. But you might stay up yet. Not all hope is lost.

Back