Relegation Race

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought since we have a Top 4 thread and the Relegation Race may be more important after the next set of fixtures I thought I'd fire this up. I'll try and put in the results for the corresponding games each week.

I think looking at each side's run in QPR and Leicester are gone, too much left to do with too few games. Sunderland have a rough last two games so would want to be safe by then, considering Burnley's last run of games. Hull are probably the most in danger of being sucked into it with their run of fixtures, but may be able to pull away with another 6 points on the board.

15th - Aston Villa - 32 points -22 GD
Remaining Fixtures:
Manchester United (A) 3-1
QPR (H) 3-3
Tottenham (A) 0-1
Man City (A) 3-2
Everton (H)
West Ham (H)
Southampton (A)
Burnley (H)

16th - Hull City - 31 points -14 GD
Remaining fixtures:
Swansea (A) 3-1
Southampton (A) 2-0
Liverpool (H)
Crystal Palace (A) 0-2
Burnley (H)
Tottenham (A)
Manchester United (H)

17th - Leicester - 31 points -16 GD
West Ham (H) 2-1
West Bromwich Albion (A) 2-3
Swansea (H) 2-0
Burnley (A) 0-1
Chelsea (H)
Newcastle (H)
Southampton (H)
Sunderland (A)
QPR (H)

18th - Sunderland - 30 points -23 GD
Remaining fixtures:
Newcastle (H) 1-0
Crystal Palace (H) 1-4
Stoke (A) 1-1
Southampton (H)
Everton (A)
Leicester (H)
Arsenal (A)
Chelsea (A)

19th - QPR - 27 points -21 GD
Remaining fixtures:
West Bromwich Albion (A) 1-4
Aston Villa (A) 3-3
Chelsea (H) 0-1
West Ham (H) 0-0
Liverpool (A)
Man City (A)
Newcastle (H)
Leicester (A)

20th - Burnley - 26 points -26 GD
Remaining fixtures:
Tottenham (H) 0-0
Arsenal (H) 0-1
Everton (A) 1-0
Leicester (H) 0-1
West Ham (A)
Hull (A)
Stoke (H)
Aston Villa (A)

Last edited:

I want Leicester, Hull and Newcastle to stay up only cause of Jatz, SM and NUFC Tiger, so seeya QPR, Burnley and Sunderland please.

Pretty sure Newcastle are safe at this point :p

Leicester and QPR are pretty much gone. Any one of the other four are at risk, but I don't see Burnley surviving this season.

Although i'd like them to, can't see Leicester staying up though, unfortunately for Jatz.

For me relegation is Leicester and QPR guaranteed with Burnley, Villa and Sunderland fighting against the final spot. Hull should be safe.

If Burnley hadn't beaten Man City things would be that much clearer haha. I don't think we'll be safe until after we play Burnley. Probably need to pick up 6 more points. Swansea is a huge game but if not that then focus needs to be on picking up points wherever possible.

Pretty sure Newcastle are safe at this point :p

Leicester and QPR are pretty much gone. Any one of the other four are at risk, but I don't see Burnley surviving this season.

I didn't even check:oops:, just saw their name up there(in the fixtures as I've just had another look:confused:).

I didn't even check:oops:, just saw their name up there(in the fixtures as I've just had another look:confused:).

Yeah I did a double take myself, I think it's because there's accidentally a space between Sunderland and their fixture list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also not trying to be smartarse Jatz, but have Leicester/Pearson made any comments about relegation outside of the usual "we're not getting relegated line". Just wondering if they've flagged any kind of strategy for the Championship next season or if they're still refusing to consider it

Also not trying to be smartarse Jatz, but have Leicester/Pearson made any comments about relegation outside of the usual "we're not getting relegated line". Just wondering if they've flagged any kind of strategy for the Championship next season or if they're still refusing to consider it

The line that is usually sprouted by Pearson is that we're 'unlucky' and how it was a game about 'margins.' He's also happy that we're playing 'attacking football.'

This time, Pearson criticised the referee, and stated that this decision has held back the club. So... same old, really.

The strategy I suspect is a simple one for the Championship: If it anin't broke, don't fix it. Aside from Ulloa and Cambiasso (Big question marks over his future), the team is pretty much the Championship winning squad that took 102 points. The only difference is that the game winning partnerships (Drinkwater + James and Nugent + Vardy) are rarely played. Guess which partnerships are involved when we play our best?

Pearson has had a lot of success in the Championship. Even with the possible losses of Mahrez, Cambiasso, and Knockhaet, there will be minor adjustments to ensure that the Leicester team is against a Championship beater. It's ironic to think that man that is taking us down to the Premiership is actually the very man you want to lead you out of the Championship?

By this point in time, it seems that Pearson staying on for next season has been implied by our owners. The only way Pearson is leaving is if we find ourselves in Fulham's situtation after 10 games.

By this point in time, it seems that Pearson staying on for next season has been implied by our owners. The only way Pearson is leaving is if we find ourselves in Fulham's situtation after 10 games.

Appreciate the detailed response. Do you think Pearson is capable of bringing you back up if you do get relegated? It seems like a risky move to keep him on after the season you've had, although it does seem that he still has the players onside.

Appreciate the detailed response. Do you think Pearson is capable of bringing you back up if you do get relegated? It seems like a risky move to keep him on after the season you've had, although it does seem that he still has the players onside.

Honestly, in the Championship, there's no one else I would rather have. Big Nige has saved Southampton from relegation (Let's just hope that's the only time he has ever relegated Leicester), and has at the very least made playoffs in every season he's been in the Championship (both before and after his time at Hull). Even after a horrendous streak, where we got like 18 points from 18 games (after we were chasing Cardiff), we still managed to nab 6th on the final day.

With the core of the team that took 102 points mostly in tact, along with the support of the players, he should be able to repeat his performance last season, and hopefully be better prepared next time for the Premiership. However, the expectation will be that we have to be promoted next season, no ifs or buts. Miss playoffs, and that's it.

Looking at all those run in's, they are all looking very tough. Ironically Leicester have the best I'd say, 4 winnable games that would take them to 31pts (away to WBA, Burnley & Sunderland, home to QPR). They can be winnable but asking a lot to ask for 4 wins out of 9 considering that's about the number of wins all season. Unfortunately they do seem to far behind though, but really the fact that all of those teams basically play each other it really just is a fight to the death. Last 2 games for Hull & Sunderland are just horrid, if either team isn't clear of relegation zone at least 1 will drop down.

I think it will finish:

15- Burnley
16- Aston Villa
17- Hull

--------------------
18- Sunderland
19- Leicester
20- QPR

Remove this Banner Ad

Back