Social Religion, Politics and absolutely nothing to do with footy

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Oh, and just for the record Baby Duck...

"Always found it interesting that atheists demand empirical evidence for a deity they already acknowledge is non-material."

I demand empirical evidence for a deity that doesn't exist, because emperical evidence doesn't exist to prove that there is a deity.

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
I have a friend who's an fwit and claims he's apart of the darkness and is immortal - how do i wake that idiot up to reality

Why does it matter what he believes? Is it effecting you? No. Everyone is different. Who actually cares. Respect peoples beliefs. And worry about yourself instead of others.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Why does it matter what he believes? Is it effecting you? No. Everyone is different. Who actually cares. Respect peoples beliefs. And worry about yourself instead of others.

In a free society
- everybody is entitled to have others respect their right to their beliefs
- everybody else is entitled to disrespect and criticise the beliefs themselves.

The 2nd proposition is automatically implied by the 1st.

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
How so? God being a transcendent being that has both masculine and feminine qualities, it is to man and it's anthropomorphising tendencies that you should search for the flaw.
I'll just ask you a straight up question: What makes you believe that god exist? Assuming that you are Christian, I don't need the history lesson, I just would like a straight answer. Why are you religious and what makes you believe that your religion and god is the correct one out of all of the other religions out there?

Baby Duck

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh, and just for the record Baby Duck...

"Always found it interesting that atheists demand empirical evidence for a deity they already acknowledge is non-material."

I demand empirical evidence for a deity that doesn't exist, because emperical evidence doesn't exist to prove that there is a deity.

Then why waste your time talking about something you don't believe is real?

Baby Duck

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I'll just ask you a straight up question: What makes you believe that god exist? Assuming that you are Christian, I don't need the history lesson, I just would like a straight answer. Why are you religious and what makes you believe that your religion and god is the correct one out of all of the other religions out there?

Simply stated, I see perfect order and obvious intelligence in nature. Believing that the phenomenal world arose completely by random, chaotic chance is totally irrationally to me, and just plain intellectually dishonest. You correctly assumed I am Christian, but I am far from orthodox. I believe all paths lead up the mountain in their own unique way, and that it is to the detriment of the individual to waste their time circling the mountain telling everyone they are wrong.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
Simply stated, I see perfect order and obvious intelligence in nature. Believing that the phenomenal world arose completely by random, chaotic chance is totally irrationally to me, and just plain intellectually dishonest. You correctly assumed I am Christian, but I am far from orthodox. I believe all paths lead up the mountain in their own unique way, and that it is to the detriment of the individual to waste their time circling the mountain telling everyone they are wrong.

Accepting all of that, the next question is simple, why Jesus?

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Then why waste your time talking about something you don't believe is real?
I'm confronted with other's beliefs about things that aren't real. When those beliefs are ever-present and pervasive in society, why would I not concern myself with them? You need only look to the middle east to see why the belief in a creator without verifiable evidence is a disaster waiting to happen. But it's a disaster that's been going on for thousands of years, so there's really nothing new to see here.

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Yet none of those things are relevant when we apply it to a designer, who just so happens to have existed for an eternity, before one day deciding to create the world in seven days?

Baby Duck

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Yet none of those things are relevant when we apply it to a designer, who just happens to exist for an eternity, before one day deciding to create the world in seven days?

I'm not being condescending, but judging by that statement I don't think you have grasped eternity, or existence outside the restrictions of time and space.
I'm more of the persuasion that the days represent periods of time btw.

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
He exemplifies what we should all strive for.
I've posed the question many times. Why do we need to derive our morality from religion? There's many people out there who exemplify what we should all strive for, but should we worship them? Why does god even want to be worshiped, anyway? To me, seeking worship is vain, and vanity is a form of pride, and pride which we all know is one of the seven deadly sins.

Back