Religion Religions and rudeness.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I'm also stating that the big bang theory makes no sense without a cause

That is completely nonsensical. That we don't yet understand the cause does not negate the event occurring. The theory does not address what caused it or why, just how it actually happened.

and that yes the evolution theory is hilarious even from a scientific point of view ?

No it's not. You simply don't understand evolution.

Or science.

You are completely out of your depth.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
He still believes in "if we came from monkey's why are there monkies" argument. It doesn't get dumber than this. THS should never speak about science, and it's people like him who gives a bad name and this is the reason why i don't wish to be associated with catholics or fundamentalist christians/muslims or any religious sect. All that he has done here is to demonstrate he has no clue about science. He spoke about Thermodynmaics just 4 posts ago, when i asked him about TD, he went back to the age old "something from nothing" argument. Even a dummies guide to science is too much for him (and this is no insult), i would expect anyone to have the slightest understanding of a subject matter, but nope, not with him.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Well religion and rudeness! how does the poster survive after accusing someone being a neo nazi white supremacist simply for being an atheist?
Did anyone report it? I only skimmed over the last two pages - enough to see it was a shitfight. Don't complain about no action being taken if nothing gets reported!

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Did anyone report it? I only skimmed over the last two pages - enough to see it was a ****fight. Don't complain about no action being taken if nothing gets reported!

Fair enough, Roy is a mod himself, i thought he would take action! he is a great poster though, i enjoy his posts, its totally wrong to accuse such a fine poster as a neo nazi. THS should be banned from this thread.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
you read it but you don't understand it

I can say that with absolute certainty!

I can test you if you like.. :)
I love the "absolute certainty" crowd. You're my favourite type of Christians. ;)

I'll go first, then you can test me.

Are there any errors in the bible?

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
how do you know there's no such thing as God?
That's not a strong start to the debate. When a hypothesis is tested scientifically, the null hypothesis is the default position.

Since nobody has been able to provide objective evidence for the existence of biblegod (or any other deity), there's no reason to believe that there is a god. Atheism, the null hypothesis, is the only justifiable religious position for anyone who takes a scientific approach to religion.

The burden of proof lies with the religious salesperson (you) to show that their god is real.

If you have objective evidence for your version of god, I'd love to see it.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
because Im a tolerant Christian I don't have a problem with your personal right to be an atheist and nor am I attacking your belief system

do you laugh at Aboriginals having belief systems or Indians or Eskimos?

when was the last time you walked up to an indigenous Australian and told him me believes in a tooth fairy when he's at church?

I know it's easy to have a go at people on line anonymously

but you can't prove much

or you're doing is laughing at people who are different to yourself

you don't think that's arrogant?
Atheism isn't a belief system.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I think that might be the most cretinous thing I’ve ever read on BigFooty.

You are not worth arguing with. You can regurgitate your scripture but when it comes to using your brain you are clearly a lost cause.

What a truly sad state of affairs that someone can come out with such a comment in 2019. Such a fundamental lack of understanding.
Agreed. After reading several pages of TheHeatleyStand's best debating skills, I'm pulling my offer from the table.

I welcome debate and discussion with Christians, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
Agreed. After reading several pages of TheHeatleyStand's best debating skills, I'm pulling my offer from the table.

I welcome debate and discussion with Christians, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
lol

you can't even prove how or why the big bang happened and why there's not more

but you're working on it

Faith!

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes WTF! everytime i read his posts that's what i say to myself lol
I know

can't think outside of the consensus narrative

look you've all had a chance to explain your argument and it's always been ' science so trust me!"
you don't understand scientific paradigms"

listen buddy

science is about proof.. if it's not about rock solid proof.. it is then about faith...!

no matter what you say and think

you can't even explain what happened before the big bang to turn nothing into something

but you feel you don't even have to

there's always something before nothing

cause and effect - real scientific law not voodoo science narratives

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I know

look you've all had a chance to explain your argument and it's always been ' science so trust me!"

listen buddy

science is about proof.. if it's not about rock solid proof.. it is then about faith...!

no matter what you say and think

you can't even explain what happened before the big bang to turn nothing into something

but you feel you don't even have to

there's always something before nothing

cause and effect - real scientific law not voodoo science narratives

I have to concede that you're starting to win me over THS, as your level of incoherency is reasonable proof that you are speaking "in tongues"

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
I have to concede that you're starting to win me over THS, as your level of incoherency is reasonable proof that you are speaking "in tongues"
I'm not trying to win you over
just showing up your double standards and total intolerance and close mindedness lol

I don't even know you...

you could be a child without the faculty of abstract and critical thinking

you can't bully me buddy!

not with as many; like-minded friends that you can muster up!

science without real proof just isn't real science which is why there's religious scientists

if you can prove stuff they would obviously abandon religion!

;)

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
btw I love the Roman Constantine conspiracy

where the hell did you find that?

you obviously don't care about primary sources etc

hilarious

just atheistic jihadis

no care about reality or historical facts

says much about your scientific methodology

haha

ok

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I know

We're talking about the agreement of experts in their fields. The vast majority of experts agree that global warming, evolution and the Big Bang Theory occurred / occurs. Evolution has been directly observed and continues now

That's not what is being said at all. You've either misinterpreted, deliberately misconstrued and.or simply not comprehended what has been explained repeatedly to you. That you keep repeating the same incorrect statements does little to convince anyone that your points are valid.

You've definitely made that clear.

Why do you keep making the same erroneus statement?

There's no "proof" in science. You've been told that repeatedly. The very fact you keep repeating the same incorrect statement demonstrates that you do not understand science.

“Proof” implies that there is no room for error — that you can be 100% sure that what you have written down on the piece of paper is 100% representative of what you are talking about.

And quite simply, that doesn’t exist.

No number of scientists in the world can ever prove that the stars are far away, or that the Higg’s Boson exists — or even that the Earth is round. Nobody can prove that things will always fall down when you drop them. Nobody can prove that energy is conserved. Nobody can prove that dark matter exists. Nobody can prove that quantum physics is real.

Because that’s not what science is about.

Proof can only exist when there is absolutely no doubt, and there is always doubt in science. You could be a brain in a vat, living in a crazy simulation. You could be hallucinating everything.

You cannot prove anything. What you can do is gather evidence.

That evidence will never be 100% — there’s always the chance that everything you think you know turns out to be false — but the evidence allows you to make current-best-evidence-conclusions about the behavior of the earth and universe.

We can build up piles and piles of evidence for those conclusions, as we have for example for evolution.

When the pile reaches a certain height, it behoves us to begin to take it rather seriously. This then becomes scientific theory (explained to you previously) and scientific fact (explained to you previously).

That is, until someone removes a critical piece from the bottom of the pile, and the entire edifice comes crashing down. That in science is called falsification.

No piece of the millions of pieces of observational evidence collected to date has ever falsified evolution. The evidence is mounting in support of the veracity of the Big Bang Theory also.

Therefore science is not faith. Believing in a supernatural deity without any robust supporting evidence is "faith'. Science does not rely on faith. Everything in science is challengable, although in some cases, such as evolution the supporting evidence is so vast and so overwhelming it is difficult to see on what grounds it could be challenged, unless it is through complete ignorance of what evolution actually is. You, unfortunately, fall into that category.

You challenge the validity of evolution for example without even knowing what evolution actually is.

It's completely irrelevant to the Big Bang Theory. The Big Bang Theory does NOT attempt to explain what happened before the Big Bang. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

Last edited:

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
not all experts agree mate
not all scientists agree

wasn't long ago when scientists told us the Maldives were going to be underwater by now
. lots of theories have been debunked
lots that were widely believed by the scientific consensus

to pretend that scientific
theories are forever is funny!

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
We're talking about the agreement of experts in their fields. The vast majority of experts agree that global warming, evolution and the Big Bang Theory occurred / occurs. Evolution has been directly observed and continues now

That's not what is being said at all. You've either misinterpreted, deliberately misconstrued and.or simply not comprehended what has been explained repeatedly to you. That you keep repeating the same incorrect statements does little to convince anyone that your points are valid.

You've definitely made that clear.

Why do you keep making the same erroneus statement?

There's no "proof" in science. You've been told that repeatedly. The very fact you keep repeating the same incorrect statement demonstrates that you do not understand science.

“Proof” implies that there is no room for error — that you can be 100% sure that what you have written down on the piece of paper is 100% representative of what you are talking about.

And quite simply, that doesn’t exist.

No number of scientists in the world can ever prove that the stars are far away, or that the Higg’s Boson exists — or even that the Earth is round. Nobody can prove that things will always fall down when you drop them. Nobody can prove that energy is conserved. Nobody can prove that dark matter exists. Nobody can prove that quantum physics is real.

Because that’s not what science is about.

Proof can only exist when there is absolutely no doubt, and there is always doubt in science. You could be a brain in a vat, living in a crazy simulation. You could be hallucinating everything.

You cannot prove anything. What you can do is gather evidence.

That evidence will never be 100% — there’s always the chance that everything you think you know turns out to be false — but the evidence allows you to make current-best-evidence-conclusions about the behavior of the earth and universe.

We can build up piles and piles of evidence for those conclusions, as we have for example for evolution.

When the pile reaches a certain height, it behoves us to begin to take it rather seriously. This then becomes scientific theory (explained to you previously) and scientific fact (explained to you previously).

That is, until someone removes a critical piece from the bottom of the pile, and the entire edifice comes crashing down. That in science is called falsification.

No piece of the millions of pieces of observational evidence collected to date has ever falsified evolution. The evidence is mounting in support of the veracity of the Big Bang Theory also.

Therefore science is not faith. Believing in a supernatural deity without any robust supporting evidence is "faith'. Science does not rely on faith. Everything in science is challengable, although in some cases, such as evolution the supporting evidence is so vast and so overwhemlig it is difficult to see on what grounds it could be challenged, unless it is through complete ignorance of what evolution actually is. You, unfortunately, fall into that category.

You challenge the validity of evolution for example without even knowing what evolution actually is.

It's completely irrelevant tothe Big Bang Theory. The Big Bang Theory does NOT attempt to explain what happened before the Big Bang. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?
I have "faith" that THS is not even reading your posts Roy, I can't prove it though.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
not all experts agree mate
not all scientists agree

So we look at the weight of evidence and then if the majority of experts agree. For example the evidence for evolution is so overwhelming it is not regarded as scientific fact, although the theory (or model) of evolution continues to be refined as more evidence about how it occured comes to light. Evolution itself is not doubted by the overwhelming majoirty of scientists - religious or non-religious.

wasn't long ago when scientists told us the Maldives were going to be underwater by now

Thirty years ago. Scientists now know much more about how climate change works and what the impacts could be. So?

lots of theories have been debunked

That's science. More evidence comes to light and theories are adjusted or changed.

Far better than dogmatically believing something totally by "faith", with no supporting evidence at all. What supporting evidence do you have for intelligent design"?

to pretend that scientific theories are forever is funny!

Have you actually read anything I've said? Is your basic comprehension that poor or limited, that you do not understand anything I have said to you?

Not once...not ever.... have I claimed that scientific theories are "forever". This is again you just putting your words in my mouth.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I have "faith" that THS is not even reading your posts Roy, I can't prove it though.

Unfortunately he probably doesn't understand them. I do try and make them as straight-forward as possible to allow for his limited knowledge.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Would it be fair to concede the possibility of the existence of some form of spirituality which is not fully or even partly understood?

Not necessarily a specific deity as such, more a type of consciousness (if that's the right word even) that "faith" is attempting to make sense of?

See the thing with "the science crowd" that I find a bit objectionable is this sense that they seem to think that if they can't explain it, or measure it, it doesn't exist.

Now had "the science crowd" locked into that view a thousand years ago, we'd be nowhere now.

And I fully acknowledge where science has taken us over thousands of years, well before even the idea of a christian god.

So I wonder whether society in 3030 might not laugh at society today for our relative lack of scientific knowledge and I wonder therefore whether "the science crowd" might be better served to laugh less and ridicule less those matters that they can't measure or don't understand. Which may include spirituality in some form.

Adroyo

Debutant
Nov 20, 2018
Snowy Mountains, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Mt. Buller Demons
Why is it religions think they have the right to force their garbage onto everyone else.

Most people who love fairytales just enjoy it and don't feel the need to push it on others.

Not cults.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I'm a practicing Buddhist and I don't care what religion or non-religion you are. Like all Buddhists, I do I and U do U

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back