Relocation and Mergers rumoured to be back in the news!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that it's the same old problem (from back in the 80's when this began) writ large. Footy is tribal (thought that could be changing a bit), In running a National league, how much do you risk putting the largest market in Aus collective noses out of joint?

It's a major reason why we have the AFL we have today. (not that I like it very much but I'm just one Claremont supporter).

And to the previous post^ I really do think it was a huge mistake by the VFL to completely F*ck over the VFA. From what I've seen it was a pretty good and entertaining league.
Years ago, some viewed the VFA superior to the VFL, they were always at war.

Media talk only. It's not contemplated by the AFL. Nor by club administrations. Nor by members.

Why?

Melbourne will overtake Sydney as the nation's biggest capital by 2026-27 with 6.2 million people according to a Centre for Population report released on Friday. Sydney will have 6 million residents by that time.

Yeah I am not sure what population growth has to do with it.

Poor clubs will always relatively struggle. It’s not like richer clubs will be at standstill.

In the end, finances will dictate who stays and who goes. Every major sport has gone through this bullshit and poor clubs have always been let go. They are simply a drag in entire competition.

Yeah I am not sure what population growth has to do with it.

For the same reason the AFL established new clubs in Queensland and NSW.

Poor clubs will always relatively struggle. It’s not like richer clubs will be at standstill.

'Poorer' clubs will have a greater chance to increase their revenues. For example the Western Bulldogs in the western suburbs. I see no reason that existing Melbourne based clubs cannot continue to exist in the AFL competition drawing their revenues from the most populous city in the nation.

'Poorer' clubs will have a greater chance to increase their revenues. For example the Western Bulldogs in the western suburbs. I see no reason that existing Melbourne based clubs cannot continue to exist in the AFL competition drawing their revenues from the most populous city in the nation.

Yes poorer clubs will gain more. But richer clubs even more. And then football spending and salary cap will move and poor clubs will still be struggling.

If it was a matter of simply more money, salary cap would be halved and then everyone is rich. Melbourne having a higher population will not mean anything. Any immigrants will want to support a rich club anyway.

It’s death. Sooner or later. When countries can no longer print money and everything explodes, these clubs will be finished off and a new AFL will be born.

Yes poorer clubs will gain more. But richer clubs even more. And then football spending and salary cap will move and poor clubs will still be struggling.

If it was a matter of simply more money, salary cap would be halved and then everyone is rich. Melbourne having a higher population will not mean anything. Any immigrants will want to support a rich club anyway.

It’s death. Sooner or later. When countries can no longer print money and everything explodes, these clubs will be finished off and a new AFL will be born.
This argument is not making a good case for a Tassie team.

Move out 4? Melbourne clubs, the richer clubs get richer so football spending and salary cap rise and Tassie can't keep up.

Well not quite. The Club financials show how much some of the 'Established clubs' rely on the AFL for survival. That AFL money comes from the national media rights. That is, from outside of Melbourne. They would struggle to survive if it were only money from Melbourne.

Well not quite. The Club financials show how much some of the 'Established clubs' rely on the AFL for survival. That AFL money comes from the national media rights. That is, from outside of Melbourne. They would struggle to survive if it were only money from Melbourne.
That's a circular argument.

Media look at the biggest market, Melbourne is that.

And that market will continue to expand. The existing Melbourne-based clubs will continue to exist in Melbourne and in the AFL.

Fairly straight I'd 've thought.

What do you think the WA market is worth relative to the amount the AFL pay the 2 clubs there?

ie Look at the $$ the AFL pay WCE & Freo as against the Melbn clubs, then tell me the Melbn market is that order of magnitude more valuable??

What do you think the WA market is worth relative to the amount the AFL pay the 2 clubs there?

ie Look at the $$ the AFL pay WCE & Freo as against the Melbn clubs, then tell me the Melbn market is that order of magnitude more valuable??
I would have thought way less.

FTA televise games into Perth so Fox is really without a market there.

People want a legitimate national competition. I don’t want clubs to ‘die’, I’m happy for clubs with a smaller supporter base that aren’t financially sustainable to revert to a state league where they would be more at home.

I agree. If any of the current clubs become unsustainable, no longer viable or acting as a drain on the competition let them / assist them transition to a state league with their history intact.

Would hate to see another Fitzroy with any of the current clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won’t happen

TV money is based on number of games your dreaming if you think they will reduce clubs

Check the population sizes

I realise that but my point was they certainly weren't helped with that transition.

No they weren't. The AFL hoped that Fitzroy would just disappear and die after they were removed from the AFL competition, but the club has slowly got back on its feet off-fiedl (started taking memberships again in 1998, trademarked the FFC logo, started the "Fitzroy Shop", sponsored clubs in the VFL and VAFA) and has been back on the field now for twelve years.

Won’t happen

TV money is based on number of games your dreaming if you think they will reduce clubs

Who said there would be a reduction in games?

And you are saying each game has same value.

If you remove games that broadcasters only want to show because they have to, there are less teams to spread it over. Has a lower impact than you think.

Only thing that saves smaller teams is that CEO’s KPI is attendance figures. That’s pure motivation but that doesn’t correlate necessarily to financial viability.

Last edited:
This argument is not making a good case for a Tassie team.

Move out 4? Melbourne clubs, the richer clubs get richer so football spending and salary cap rise and Tassie can't keep up.

To be honest, I am not really sure tas team is viable without tas gov subsidies. There are other places where a team would be more viable. Another in Perth, 100%.

To be honest, I am not really sure tas team is viable without tas gov subsidies. There are other places where a team would be more viable. Another in Perth, 100%.

As explained, thats what gives it certainty, BOTH sides of politics see an AFL as being part of the tourism strategy for Tasmania. Also see the social benefits for the state.

Geez, given the economic damage of Covid 19 the strength of having Government support would be a clear positive.

WA3 & Tas1

As explained, thats what gives it certainty, BOTH sides of politics see an AFL as being part of the tourism strategy for Tasmania. Also see the social benefits for the state.

Geez, given the economic damage of Covid 19 the strength of having Government support would be a clear positive.

WA3 & Tas1
How much of this is playing with fire though?

I would love a Tassie side in the comp, but i would rather keep the pollies out, they have too much pull now in the AFL/Vic.

How much of this is playing with fire though?

I would love a Tassie side in the comp, but i would rather keep the pollies out, they have too much pull now in the AFL/Vic.

Playing with fire? Please explain?

This IS a footy state. The support is here.

We know the value of footy to Victoria, they pull so much from other places. Certainly from WA & SA, but pro rata, especially from here.

I'm hoping North & Hawthorn get the arze, ASAP.

Playing with fire? Please explain?

This IS a footy state. The support is here.

We know the value of footy to Victoria, they pull so much from other places. Certainly from WA & SA, but pro rata, especially from here.

I'm hoping North & Hawthorn get the arze, ASAP.
What i mean by playing with fire is, by relying on government to keep the club afloat, you may also be giving them the power to control what the club does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back