NFL Relocations and League Expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not getting where these angry Chargers fans are coming from. It was either getting a massive tax burden or having the team move an hour away. The city of San Diego didn't build the stadium and the team owners wouldn't fund it themselves like they could (or perhaps should) have. It's a shitty situation but if you emotionally invest in an American sports team you have to be prepared for this and Chargers fans got off very lightly. They could've been like the Rams and move half the country or even worse, the Sonics and lose the identity completely.

Is there any chance of the Raiders staying in Oakland? Has there been much pushback about it at all? Going by some of the sentiments of Raiders fans here (not a great sample admittedly) they seem indifferent at worst.

Zero chance the Raiders stay in Oakland. The local government in Oakland want to put zero public funds into the stadium, which is fine, but they've constructed a deal with a development team that the NFL specifically told them time and time again, wouldn't be feasible and was not in the NFL's best interests.

I'm going to be happy when they get approval to move. I'm a Raiders fan. I'm not an Oakland. fan. I've got great friends I've made from the time I've spent in the Bay Area, and I feel for them. But at the end of the day, they need a new stadium. Al Davis wanted to move the team to Vegas as far back as the 80s. So I don't really see them moving to Vegas as a bad thing. Mark Davis is simply fulfilling his father's legacy.

I'm not getting where these angry Chargers fans are coming from. It was either getting a massive tax burden or having the team move an hour away. The city of San Diego didn't build the stadium and the team owners wouldn't fund it themselves like they could (or perhaps should) have. It's a shitty situation but if you emotionally invest in an American sports team you have to be prepared for this and Chargers fans got off very lightly. They could've been like the Rams and move half the country or even worse, the Sonics and lose the identity completely.

At least Seattle can reclaim the sonics.
How would browns fans have felt if it became the Baltimore browns.
And I'm sure they'll all be hypocrites if a team moved to Seattle and joined them, just like Baltimore did when the browns came in.

At least Seattle can reclaim the sonics.
How would browns fans have felt if it became the Baltimore browns.
And I'm sure they'll all be hypocrites if a team moved to Seattle and joined them, just like Baltimore did when the browns came in.

Are you suggesting the fans in SD cannot still claim the Chargers? They were in San Diego for 56 years and are moving up the highway. This team is still called the Chargers and are still based in Southern California. I don't see how this is even comparable to losing your team to a market halfway across the country and losing their team identity.

My point is it's an identity change.
Charlotte got back the hornets
Cleveland got back the browns
Seattle can still get back the sonics.

Can San Diego get back the chargers if la steals the identity as well?
Can San Diego get bring back the clippers?
Can Vancouver bring back the grizzlies?
Can Kansas City bring back the hawks?
Can St. Louis bring back either the cardinals or rams?

The legacy of a team in a city can Be maintained. Just look at Cleveland with the browns, Winnipeg with the jets, Milwaukee with the brewer etc.

My point is Seattle can reclaim their legacy with a new franchise or a relocated one. San Diego can not.

Ps. If the Sydney swans relocated to Canberra how many fans do you think would travel for that.

Oh yay. 7pm night game, finish at 10, hop in the car by 1030 home by 130 in the morning

So appealing :rolleyes::thumbsu:

The legacy of a team in a city can Be maintained. Just look at Cleveland with the browns, Winnipeg with the jets, Milwaukee with the brewer etc.

My point is Seattle can reclaim their legacy with a new franchise or a relocated one. San Diego can not.

They don't need to regain anything when the team is still intact in the same state and still has the same nickname. They haven't lost a team in it's entirety.

Ps. If the Sydney swans relocated to Canberra how many fans do you think would travel for that.

Oh yay. 7pm night game, finish at 10, hop in the car by 1030 home by 130 in the morning

So appealing :rolleyes::thumbsu:
NFL is mostly a televised event. How many people watch most of their team's games at home or at a bar rather than the stadium? From going there I can see it's a lot.

LA got the Rams back

Bit harsh on San Diego fans. Why should they fork out $1.8b for a stadium that hosts 8 games a year? Why the need for a glossy new stadium? Why can't the NFL stump up some money for the stadium?

I've always said this but if you leave a city you should not be entitled to the moniker or the team's history, no matter how close the other city is. The city maintains the history.

I can genuinely see the Chargers, possibly tired of being the little brother in the LA Rams house, seeking another move in 20 or so years time.

Yeah I just can't see how they think they are going to establish an identity and fan base there.

Bit harsh on San Diego fans. Why should they fork out $1.8b for a stadium that hosts 8 games a year? Why the need for a glossy new stadium? Why can't the NFL stump up some money for the stadium?

I've always said this but if you leave a city you should not be entitled to the moniker or the team's history, no matter how close the other city is. The city maintains the history.

That is a good policy to prevent atrocities like 'Indianapolis Colts' and 'Utah Jazz'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NFL does stump up money for stadiums. I think the Vikings got $200 million in grants and loans from the NFL for US bank Stadium

I can genuinely see the Chargers, possibly tired of being the little brother in the LA Rams house, seeking another move in 20 or so years time.

If it fails for the reasons people are suggesting then it wouldn't take 20 years. The Spanos family would be confronted with going to a terrible city (they have used up all their credit with the NFL team owners - who approve these things) or selling the licence.

Realistically what city would be good for the Chargers if they couldn`t stay in San Diego and Vegas was off limits?
I'd see if San Antonio would bite
After them, you really are scraping the bottom of the barrel
Sell your soul and go with London?
Take the risk of okc or Portland?

memphis, salt lake, portland, louisville..... London

Or in Canada in Toronto or Vancouver
Think Vancouver could sustain them?
What is Canadian interest like in NFL?

I can't see buffalo being viable long term, so I'll leave Toronto for the bills.

memphis, salt lake, portland, louisville..... London

Or in Canada in Toronto or Vancouver
And on Salt Lake City.
Would enough Mormons go on a Sunday?
Would state legislatoin allow it?

The main reason the big xii wouldn't take byu was their condition of 'no sports on Sundays'

Do the jazz play on Sundays?
And if so, how do they rate compared to say Saturday games?

Realistically what city would be good for the Chargers if they couldn`t stay in San Diego and Vegas was off limits?
Going by national TV markets... (bolded are without NFL teams close by)

1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Philadelphia
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth
6 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
7 Boston
8 Atlanta
9 Washington, DC
10 Houston
11 Detroit
12 Phoenix