NFL Relocations and League Expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

The Cowboys have space on the concourses where you can watch the game on a big screen (but don’t have a ticketed seat and can’t access the seating bowl). That seems to be why they can be at 116%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take it you don't like gold?

Not over used explanations of team names I don't.
Reminds me of the old South East Melbourne Magic.

After GS Warriors moved to Oakland they should of just went with Oakland, but that's what happens when you are hungry for money ala Melbourne United.

The Golden Knights just doesn't make sense, by dropping the Las it would of been a lot better to just be Vegas Knights.

Not over used explanations of team names I don't.
Reminds me of the old South East Melbourne Magic.

After GS Warriors moved to Oakland they should of just went with Oakland, but that's what happens when you are hungry for money ala Melbourne United.

The Golden Knights just doesn't make sense, by dropping the Las it would of been a lot better to just be Vegas Knights.
Disagree with your last sentiment. The city is Las Vegas, not Vegas.

But I agree with you about stupid mad it names. Golden Knights is useless. In fact Las Vegas Knights (nights) would have a better meaning and rolls off the tongue better.

Golden State is different. Couldn't call themselves California too generic, too broad. Didn't want to use Oakland or San Francisco because it would ostracize fans from opposing cities. Bay Area Warriors would've been better. But GS isn't awful. It'd be like an NRL team called Sunshine State Pirates, based in Brisbane that didn't want to piss off the existing Brisbane based and Gold Coast based fans and teams whilst also finding their own niche market in the same general region. I guess that's why you have the team name GWS Giants too.

The Golden Knights just doesn't make sense, .
Owner attended West Point
Their nickname is the black knights while their colour scheme is black and gold

Nice homage to his history

Going to be weird when he sells it...

It's a nice homage to his history but it doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense when you're calling yourself "Golden" in the "Silver State."

Disagree with your last sentiment. The city is Las Vegas, not Vegas.

But I agree with you about stupid mad it names. Golden Knights is useless. In fact Las Vegas Knights (nights) would have a better meaning and rolls off the tongue better.

Golden State is different. Couldn't call themselves California too generic, too broad. Didn't want to use Oakland or San Francisco because it would ostracize fans from opposing cities. Bay Area Warriors would've been better. But GS isn't awful. It'd be like an NRL team called Sunshine State Pirates, based in Brisbane that didn't want to piss off the existing Brisbane based and Gold Coast based fans and teams whilst also finding their own niche market in the same general region. I guess that's why you have the team name GWS Giants too.

I think we crossed our wires.
I would of preferred Las Vegas ...... but since they went with just Vegas, then Vegas Knights would of been better than adding a colour as well.

The only thing that annoys me with area names is they don't actually tell new investors, sponsors, supporters where the side is located and what happens if another team joins from that area?
Talking of Brisbane based remember the South Queensland Crushers? There was already two other sides in South Queensland.
I follow the New England Patriots and have since around 87, I get the reasoning behind the name but it still annoys me.
Imagine if New Orleans Saints changed their name to Mississippi and then the Titans moved to Memphis and decided to use Mississippi as well.

Yes it can work in some instances but most of the time it's just the owners trying to grab more cash while they make their sides look stupid.

It's a nice homage to his history but it doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense when you're calling yourself "Golden" in the "Silver State."
You said it much better than I, thank you.

I guess until you and I start owning sporting teams then we're going to get annoyed by what other people end up calling their teams, both here and abroad.

I hate names like GWS and GS, tho I understand the reasoning. don't mind actual state names like Arizona, Tennessee, or even region names that don't exist like Tampa Bay. I hate how it's Vegas not Las Vegas. It's like calling a team Angeles Chargers. I don't like how some teams are called by a different city name than the one they're in, like San Francisco and Dallas.

Lastly, I don't like many of the mascot names teams are called around the world. Too modern or even futuristic, like T20 team names. But often it's just rehashed recycled names across sports....Tigers, Lions, Bears, etc. I think NCAA and EPL names are far more unique and old school. Like in NFL/AFL/NRL there are/were names like Packers, Shinboners, Red Jackets, Shoremen, Staleys, Gorillas, Same Olds, etc. Much prefer existing teams reverted back to those names (but no, not Senors :p )

The authority also reviewed a proposed new page to the Raiders Non-Relocation Agreement that gives the team an out if any state, county or authority entity imposes a “targeted tax” on the team or stadium during the term of the lease.

A targeted tax is defined as any new tax that is directed or effectively directed at the team, the stadium, spectators, players or team officials or the NFL and its teams and spectators.

The new section of the agreement effectively enables the Raiders to legally break the lease at the stadium if a targeted tax is imposed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back