Kooley

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
out west
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
arsenal
decent show. i have a number of tapes somewhere at home. they would be in pretty poor condition though. just wondering whether channel 7 would still have the entire series on file still.

Hey Bambino, I'd love to see what footage you put on Youtube.

I have all the shows on tape....but I have a couple of extra's and outake tapes note seen in public. I might see if I can find them.

Sad that 7 didnt follow on with the show, but I guess thats big business for you....and to do the live shows was a big hit on their wallets.

regards
I think 7 was losing money

decent show. i have a number of tapes somewhere at home. they would be in pretty poor condition though. just wondering whether channel 7 would still have the entire series on file still.

I would dare say they Would,

Didn't they win the Flag?

joeyjimjams

Rookie
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maybe we can lobby channel 7 to put replays of it on their 7 two channel? They have been playing Footy flashbacks early sat morning on the channel so it's worth a try?

Jyneka Hayes

Draftee
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes i know that show i was only 11 When My Father John Hayes snr (HAYESY) Played in the Team Hammerheads?

I Will Leave My Email Address: Hayesygurl@hotmail.com
and bambino or Fitzy can use get copies of all the episode for me plz so i can show my father he would love it i havent told him i found this link on hera so if use could help me out i would really appriciate it thanks?

Commando

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man Utd, AC Milan, Wolfsburg,
Never got to watch this show cos it was on thurs nights while we trained... Good one ch7

West_Coast_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
This show was fantastic. There are a few links on youtube.

Most the clubs that played that season have folded. Kealba ,gladstone park, brooklyn- they had a funraiser for the brooklyn bulls to keep them afloat they still folded.

I actually own a player jumper from this team i will post it in a sec.

I would love to see full episodes of this show aswell.

I played poker one night against that quony bloke. Bit of a character.

In the begining from my memory was they had trails at etihad stadium (docklands)
In perth & adelaide. They had 4 coach's to pick from. The public choose the coach. I remember rene kink was another one up with david rhys & mabye a girl coach aswell i fogert :-s

They were actually called kensington hill football club.

Ripper show i hope this thread gets some action! Loce to hear a few stories

West_Coast_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Bumping into you everywhere mate. I actually found all those youtube videos last week went thru them
All . Ahh memories. If i had 2 hammerheads jumpers id swap u one for the frangga top :p

Kooley

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
out west
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
arsenal
Rene Kink, Rhys-Jones, Danny Southern and Luke Ball's mum were the 4 coaching candidates for the club. Keka and Phil Cleary were the 2 candidates for the presidents role.

About 2500 turned up to the auditions at Etihad Stadium on a stinking hot weekend in Feb 200. On the Saturday 2500 hopefuls went thru their paces completing a number of stupid things. That number was wittled down to 100 by the end of the day. On the Sunday the 100 turned up again and it was wittled down to the final 50.

about a fortnight later a camp was held at Bacchus Marsh where 25 were chosen and had to sign contracts. The other 25 were welcome to stay and make up the numbers.

3 guys were chosen from auditions in WA
2 guys and a girl were chosen from SA

As the year progressed other players were brought in as some dropped off and others were cut from the show.

In the beginning channel 7 were more than happy for the team to lose as it provided more interest and better storylines. But Rhys-Jones was competitive beast and built a bloody good side which in the end was impossible to beat.

The Hammerheads went into the Grandfinal as massive favourites but trailed North Footscray at half time. In the end they were far too strong and ran out comfortable winners.

The crowds at all games were unbelievable and big buzz for all that were involved.

Kooley

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
out west
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
arsenal
It sounds like you may have had a bit to do with the club?

I may have mate but part of the appeal of Bigfooty is to keep your real identity secret.

The old rooms at JJ Holland Park which were renovated pretty nicely for the show have recently been demolished. I dont think any football teams other than maybe for jr footy use the ground but is definitely used for cricket.

An interesting thing that alot of people would be unaware of is that Hammerheads had organised an end of season footy trip to Bali in 2002 well after the show had concluded. From memory about 30 players and some staff had paid a $200 deposit to go. The rest was suppose to be funded by the Hammerheads Calender where different players posed for different months. Originally the sales were to fund the trip but sales were poor so the trip was canned and players went to Adelaide instead the same weekend they were suppose to be in Bali. The weekend being the Bali Bombings weekend. All players were booked in at The Bounty a block away from the Sari Club. Pretty Lucky and thank god the Calender was crap.

The Club was the brainchild of both Craig Hutchison and Tim Watson who took the idea to Channel 7 executives after 7 lost the rights to the Football. Obviously Hutchy hosted the show and was always around sometimes training and often out socially with the guys. Watson on the otherhand was rarely seen and played an executive producers role behind the scenes.

Steve Perkin who writes the "In Black and White" column in the HearldSun was the Producer of the show in the first month but something happened there and he left early days. He was heavily involved with 7's coverage of the Tennis.

Greg Miller who was put in charge to get the club up and going was the heart and sole of the outfit right from the outset. He basically did everything except put the shorts on.

West_Coast_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357860816.705396.jpg

Just pulled it out of my wardrobe.

I remember it like it was yesterday!

My fav was PODGE

Kooley

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
out west
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
arsenal
View attachment 9576

Just pulled it out of my wardrobe.

I remember it like it was yesterday!

My fav was PODGE

Podge was one of the blokes brought into the show about a month into the season. He shared a house with Western Australians Jayco, Swanny and Chubb in Carlton. He was featured in a episode when he moved into their house. 7 made it out that he was moving into the small shed out the back of the house and he put an Irish flag up on the wall. This is how they manipualted things to get an interesting storyline. What really happened is Chubb moved out and Podge took his bedroom

Chubb and Richo moved into a plush hotel on Spencer Street in the City. Richo orginally had a small room at the Railway Hotel in Nth Melbourne not far from Holland Park. The Hotel was where the players would go on a Thursday night to have a drink and a bite to eat and watch the live show on the telly. It was a dive of a joint and the accomodation was for local drunks and drug addicts. The boys also had their Mad Sunday celebrations at the pub after winning the granny on the Saturday. It was that Sunday the Premiership Cup ended destroyed and divided into about 21 pieces.

Immediatedly after the show was completed Richo and Chubb were booted out of their lxurious room.

Podge couldnt kick to save himself but he was a real goer and he ended playing about 1/2 dozen games in the seniors. he didnt play in the GF. Just before the big mid-year ball which was held at the Mooney Valley Racecourse, Hutchy on air try to set him up with a date with Debbie Lee. It was quite awkward and it didnt eventuate. We wont go there.

Big Chubb from Western Australian was suppose to be seeing the Chiko Roll girl Sarah Jane and this was featured at about the same time as the mid year ball. She was also was a big contributor to the calender. Basically she wanted to to get her titts on TV and boost her profile and she was quite happy to play along that she was seeing Chubb. During one game in about round 6 against Albanvale (The hammerheads last loss) Sarah Jane was giving players rub downs while Rhys-Jones was trying to give his pre-match address. The boys got smashed and Rhys went off his chops after the game. Ironically that was Chubbs one and only game in the seniors. He came on in the second quarter and tore his hammy within a minute and retired not long after. He announced his retirement to the players after training and began choking up. The bloke was pushing 40 and 120kgs. Quite a few of the players were pissing themselves. TV Gold.

West_Coast_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Chubb was working at the motel for memory. Chubb kicked 1 goal a snap goal from memory vs albanvale.

Quonny was broke had no $$$ had no food in the fridge.
Taco was a garbo

Debbie lee was a star, its a shame mark panaluna blocked her from playing.

What happened to the cup? Why was it broken?
Kensington hill was the real name although nobody called thrm
That

Kooley

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
out west
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
arsenal
The Cup got broken in celebrations on the Sunday, not deliberately but just one of those things that happen. In the end it didn't really matter because didn't have a home anyway.

Debbie Lee was a star in womens footy and says it would have been interesting to see how she went playing against the boys but personally she would have been lucky to hold her place in the twos.

I think Chubb may have been the porter or concierge for one of the shows. I dont think he did that on a regular basis.

Quonny was a goose of the highest order. A bloke likehim wouldnt have survived two minutes in a real football club environment. He was entertaining of the field for the producers because he was the village fool. They worked him beautifully. He was real trailor park material.

Back