Remembering Channel 7's World of Sport - What are your memories?

Remove this Banner Ad

The quality was questionable, the "stars" were not particularly eloquent, the prizes were cheap, and the commercials so very amateurish, but this show had it all, was part of Melbourne's fabric, and was not to be missed on Sundays. Sadly nothing on free TV comes near it today, and its doubtful the moguls who run TV would allow a show like WOS to return.

In the early 1970's the great Bobby Davis invited my family behind the scenes to watch World of Sport. I was awe struck, amazed by the sheer chaos, and also surprised just how small the studio was.

I found this footage, presumably from the 80's:
l

Share your memories...

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Honestly it was an institution back then. I grew up watching it. The footy panel with Bobby Davis, Jack Dyer and Lou Richards was the forerunner to all footy panel shows. It was ad lib at its best. Some of the funniest comments were made on the show. Can still remember Jack Dyer telling Lou he hated Collingwood so much, he even refused to watch black and white movies!!! Gold!!!!

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Used to sit and watch it all day on Sundays. They had a "superkick" type contest which I don't think ran for very long, conducted outdoors (Lake Oval, maybe?) where point-scoring zones were marked on the ground. More points were awarded for greater distance and accuracy. I used to try to emulate it in the backyard.

Tug-of-war
Cycling
Patra "Mark of the Day"

Best part was the start where a round summary with all the footy highlights from the televised games was shown, with voiceover by Ron Casey. Had a certain drama to it. It was the one and only time you'd ever get to see many incidents and passages of play.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
wood chopping
The best part about the wood chopping was Jack O'Toole doing the 'Axemen! Ready! Go! One, two, three.....' (it was a handicap contest). It was usually won by an O'toole son or grandson.

They recorded old Jack's count, and continued to use it, even after he died. Supposedly, one day, Jack Dyer commented 'That Jack O'Toole's a bit up himself - he never hangs around for a drink after the show.....'

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
My sunday went something like this....
* Junior supporters club
* replay of the previous days horses/trots
* world of sport
* my own game of junior football
Magnificent !
I remember we won the handball one year (Essendon, Nifty Nev I think) and it was like a grand final ! Yep, we were absolutely shithouse back in those days. Unique show world of sport, some classic segments, Freddie Villiers with his soccer report were amusing and sometimes the only footage you would get to see of your overseas club. Patra orange juice :thumbsu: Ballantyne's chocolates :thumbsu: That men's clothing store " For the high, and the mighty" :thumbsu:

Loved the show. Watched it religiously from the mid 60's onwards. Club corner; the kicking competitions they had (run by Bruce Andrew?); Ron Casey trying to keep them all under control; Uncle Doug (I only found out he was a State Labour Party politician when he made front page of the Sun when he lost pre-selection); Gentlemen Jim Cleary (who played for South in the 45 'blood bath' GF); tug of war....about the only stuff that bored me was the horse races (never been into punting) and the lawn bowls segment.

Story about the handball (not sure if true). 'Polly' Farmer was on the handball competition during his VFL playing days in the 60's. In those days it was 3 hand balls with each hand. He supposedly got a bull's eye with every handball. Unfortunately the WOS footage was lost.

I think WOS got the axe when Warwick Fairfax bought Ch7 and promptly stuffed every thing up on it...amongst which they got rid of the doing the football (echos of what Murdoch and Packer are doing to Ch10).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
My sunday went something like this....
* Junior supporters club
* replay of the previous days horses/trots
* world of sport
* my own game of junior football
:thumbsu:

Substitute Box Hill in the VFA or visiting my grandparents for the last one (I played footy early on Saturday mornings) and I reckon we've got a shared childhood.

Loved WOS.

Goal of the Day

Mark of the Day

Club Corner (after the Matthews-Bruns incident)
[

TheBigPavallova

Debutant
Jul 7, 2012
The SandPit
AFL Club
Fremantle
The quality was questionable, the "stars" were not particularly eloquent, the prizes were cheap, and the commercials so very amateurish, but this show had it all, was part of Melbourne's fabric, and was not to be missed on Sundays. Sadly nothing on free TV comes near it today, and its doubtful the moguls who run TV would allow a show like WOS to return.

In the early 1970's the great Bobby Davis invited my family behind the scenes to watch World of Sport. I was awe struck, amazed by the sheer chaos, and also surprised just how small the studio was.

I found this footage, presumably from the 80's:
l

Share your memories...

Frivolity, light heartedness & just plain fun.

a great way to start waking up on Sunday morning, with some laughter & plenty of interesting things.

Not so technobabble.

It was more for laymen by journo types with player guests, But the emphasis was on the Fun laughter aspect.

Not on the statistics.

There was always a feeling of hope for your team next week.

And there was always the interesting points of your team, even if down the bottom, like individual matchups. Who would Robbie Flower lineup on next week. Or go against in the handball competition.

& the tug of war. the cyclists on the roller machines. wood chop.

McOrist

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
The East
AFL Club
Collingwood
Poor old 'Gentleman' Jim Cleary -he always was sent to review the games between teams down the bottom of the ladder.

Gus Mercurio with his gravelly "Hey, Boxing Fans!"

A strange memory is they how obviously pre-recorded the 'Champion Kick' segment. John Greening appeared a week or two after he almost died on the field and was still in hospital when his segment went to air.

royals1922

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts RIP
Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rotor Volgograd, The Exers
Ballantines chocolates were always part of the goodies.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Best part was the start where a round summary with all the footy highlights from the televised games was shown, with voiceover by Ron Casey. Had a certain drama to it. It was the one and only time you'd ever get to see many incidents and passages of play.
Spot on Ron, evoking many memories here, Case just added a certain something to it, you are spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back