Certified Legendary Thread Remembering fallen mates - Peter Chant

Remove this Banner Ad

Going slightly off topic, my old man's pet hate of a couple of years ago, was the inscription on the Vietnam War Memorial, which was unveiled in '06. It does not mention National Service particapants, and is dedicated to 'Members Of The Vietnamese Armed Forces'. Vietnam did not yet exist, and North Vietnam forces and the Viet Cong were our enemies

A Vietnam vet mate of mine told me about 5 years ago that an ex Port player had been killed in Vietnam, he wasn't sure if his name was Peter, or Paul Chant.

I did some checking and found out his name was Peter, and that I had actually seen him play, it was at the Kensington oval in 1961 ( against I think Norwood ) and he kicked a couple of goals playing as a rover/forward pocket.

I remember the day very well because a mate and myself found a wallet with 10 or 12 pounds in it ( huge money for a couple of 12 year olds ), we handed it in and the police tracked down the owner who didn't even say thankyou.

For those who weren't around at the time Kensington oval was used as a neutral ground for footy before it became athletics only in the mid 60's.

It is sensational news that the club is now honouring the memory of Peter Chant, and very well done to Lockhart Road in his efforts to help that happen.
Thank you for your post, mate.

Kensington Oval... football in the raw. Remember it well.

Great to see Port sent a group of players to the Repatriation General Hospital today.

Great hospital, my old man ( ex RAAF ), he drove trucks laden with bombs and ammunition to supply the Beauforts, Spits and Hurricanes flown by the Aussies, and N Zedders, who were chasing Rommel across the desert, was in charge of maintenance at the Repat from 1963 to 1985.

He is almost 93 now, and every now and again he tells me stuff from the war, eg how the trucks picked their way through minefields with a bloke sitting on the front bumper with a broom handle prodding the sand and looking for a tell tale disturbed area of sand that signified a mine.
The trucks had to be a minimum of 70 yards apart, in case one went up, and unfortunately they sometimes did.

He also recalls reaching the port from where Rommel evacuated his troops, and he and his mates spent hours riding around on abandoned Maybach and BMW motorcycles that had been left on the dock, apparently there were hundreds of them.

Anyway I digress, good on the Port boys for visiting the Repat.

Great hospital, my old man ( ex RAAF ), he drove trucks laden with bombs and ammunition to supply the Beauforts, Spits and Hurricanes flown by the Aussies, and N Zedders, who were chasing Rommel across the desert, was in charge of maintenance at the Repat from 1963 to 1985.

He is almost 93 now, and every now and again he tells me stuff from the war, eg how the trucks picked their way through minefields with a bloke sitting on the front bumper with a broom handle prodding the sand and looking for a tell tale disturbed area of sand that signified a mine.
The trucks had to be a minimum of 70 yards apart, in case one went up, and unfortunately they sometimes did.

He also recalls reaching the port from where Rommel evacuated his troops, and he and his mates spent hours riding around on abandoned Maybach and BMW motorcycles that had been left on the dock, apparently there were hundreds of them.

Anyway I digress, good on the Port boys for visiting the Repat.

Great stories. :thumbsu:

Peter Chant's sister lives down my street - we are quite friendly with her and her husband - lovely people.:)

They and their three boys - along with representatives of the Quinn Family - will be guests of honour at the Club's ANZAC pre-match function on Sunday, 27 April vs. Geelong.

Will have more to say when I open a new thread early next week... unless REH beats me to it.

They and their three boys - along with representatives of the Quinn Family - will be guests of honour at the Club's ANZAC pre-match function on Sunday, 27 April vs. Geelong.

Will have more to say when I open a new thread early next week... unless REH beats me to it.
Yeh I already knew they will be at that game - I am not sure how they are getting up to AO that day but will ask if they want to catch the train up to the city with us.:)

Nope I've been waiting for you to start that thread and add something then.

Peter Chant's sister lives down my street - we are quite friendly with her and her husband - lovely people.:)

If Channel 7 come knocking on your door tomorrow morning by mistake, direct them to the right house, please, mate.

If Channel 7 come knocking on your door tomorrow morning by mistake, direct them to the right house, please, mate.
Haha LR, they might want to interview me about my history as the Maggies CS leader in the early 1970s (did you ever see my thread in TPFP on that subject with all the pics etc I put up?) - lol - actually, I'm in hospital today (Wed) having a minor procedure (which went well) so won't be home till tomorrow arvo - I will see Jan & Grant Friday when I do my morning fitness walk so if there's anything you want me to tell them let me know.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that you on today tonight Lockhart Road "Dennis"??? You are a TV star!

Its been said before but i will say it again, well done.

Many thanks, mate.
I was the one minus the beard.
So happy John Schumann's music provided part of the background; we vets love his stuff.

Peter Chant and Bob and George Quinn medals. fireboy RedCentrePower and myself were having lunch at the Port club and the glass cabinet at the front was empty as the cup has been moved. Dave Banner asked for suggestions of what could go in the empty cabinet and we said this week there is only one thing. We got the medals cases in the middle an old honour board from 1947 at the top and in the bottom will either go a slouch hat or Lockhart Road 's flyer for Hong Kong function with a rising sun emblem in front ot the flag. If we get a slouch hat the flyer will go where the Port Club logo is.

Dave gave me the key to the locker and various staff supplied ladders, cloths, spray and wipe and few other things and we cleaned up the cabinet and set up the 3 items. They will stay there for many weeks until other relevant club items with a theme for that period go up.

The glare was really bad for front on photos. RedCentrePower is going back tonight and take some decent front on shots he will send them to me, I will post them here and send them to the Quinn's Chant"s and 9RAR Charlie company crew.

upload_2015-4-21_16-57-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-21_16-57-23.png
    upload_2015-4-21_16-57-23.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Many thanks, REH.

Many thanks, Dave Banner.

Many thanks, the Club...

...on behalf, in particular, of the WTFRW Tribe, 9th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment.

Our timing was out by about 40 minutes. The combined defence team who will play at Adelaide Oval in the curtain raiser on Saturday night, had trained at Alberton and had lunch at the Port Club. By the time Daniel Norton brought over the medals cases the defence boys had left. I think they would have been interested to see the medals.

Bob Quinn's 2 Magarey medals and Military Medal is there with his other service/campaign medals

Last edited:
Peter Chant and Bob and George Quinn medals. fireboy RedCentrePower and myself were having lunch at the Port club and the glass cabinet at the front was empty as the cup has been moved. Dave Banner asked for suggestions of what could go in the empty cabinet and we said this week there is only one thing. We got the medals cases in the middle an old honour board from 1947 at the top and in the bottom will either go a slouch hat or Lockhart Road 's flyer for Hong Kong function with a rising sun emblem in front ot the flag. If we get a slouch hat the flyer will go where the Port Club logo is.

Dave gave me the key to the locker and various staff supplied ladders, cloths, spray and wipe and few other things and we cleaned up the cabinet and set up the 3 items. They will stay there for many weeks until other relevant club items with a theme for that period go up.

The glare was really bad for front on photos. RedCentrePower is going back tonight and take some decent front on shots he will send them to me, I will post them here and send them to the Quinn's Chant"s and 9RAR Charlie company crew.

View attachment 126537
That display looks truly sensational - great work REH and co.

In four days it will be the 50th anniversary of Menzies announcing to the House of Representatives that Australian troops would be sent to fight in Vietnam. Australia had been involved for three years previously providing military advisors and training.

The 1st Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (RAR), consisting of 778 soldiers, arrived in Vietnam in May 1965.

The Spirit of Peter Chant was all over today's announcement. He would be proud of his old footy club and old 9RAR colleague!

The Spirit of Peter Chant was all over today's announcement. He would be proud of his old footy club and old 9RAR colleague!
Inspirational REH.

Graham Cornes agrees with you.

Vietnam Vets have a bond impossible to put into words ... unless they are Vietnam Vets, no matter who they played for, no matter what club they coached.

Fantastic article by Graham Cornes. And I guess its appropriate that a fellow Vietnam Vet was the first one to publically acknowledge your great work in getting the ball rolling on this China venture and the inspiration Peter provide you LR.

Fantastic article by Graham Cornes. And I guess its appropriate that a fellow Vietnam Vet was the first one to publically acknowledge your great work in getting the ball rolling on this China venture and the inspiration Peter provide you LR.

Cornesy just sent me this, for some reason:

Port Adelaide’s China mission honours fallen Magpie, says Graham Cornes
April 15, 2016 5:30pm
Graham CornesThe Advertiser

abbc2f42262a611c0e3adc04eee46577

Vietnam veterans, from left, John England, Mick Mummery, Laurie Lewis and Denis Way honoured fallen former Magpie Peter Chant during the 2013 Anzac Day march. A determination to mark Chant’s sacrifice led to events which helped to make Port’s China push possible. Picture: Calum Robertson.

PETER Chant played just 10 games for Port Adelaide in 1961 and 1962. A rover, he was a good player but was never a regular in those powerful Magpie teams.
He would never know, nor in his wildest imagination could he have foreseen, his role in Port Adelaide’s foray into China which has led to one of the biggest sponsorship deals in Australian football history.
After all, sponsors were unheard of in 1962. The jumpers were pristine — not desecrated with logos and slogans. Besides, China was a hostile foreign country.
Chant could not cement his place in a Magpie jumper, subsequently tried different vocations, dabbled with race horses, then in 1967, at the height of the Vietnam War, joined the regular army. On Valentine’s Day 1969, Chant was killed when elements of his unit, 9 Platoon Charlie Company 9RAR, walked into a Vietcong ambush.

His mates from 9RAR describe him as a “quiet bloke, softly spoken, softly smiling and impossible to dislike”.
One of those mates, Denis Way, a national serviceman and ridiculously passionate Port supporter grew up in Evandale but has lived in Hong Kong since his discharge from the army in 1971.

v1

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...d8b7207ed3063b6617eddae54d4&memtype=anonymous

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back