Opinion Reminiscing about the good old days

Remove this Banner Ad

All this talk about Pickett and Modra, Mackintosh and Greg Williams makes me miss State of Origin footy. Much prefer seeing that than the hybrid International rules. Sometimes going forward seems more like going backwards.

A couple of years ago I posted a link in another thread, but the link is dead now.
Neil Kerley was also pretty keen for McIntosh to join the initial squad.

Williams never even tried in those couple of state games, and never played against him in anything real

If he did say that I’d take it with a grain of salt

Otherwise it’s like Rocky Balboa saying Thunder Lips is his toughest opponent

Williams never even tried in those couple of state games, and never played against him in anything real

If he did say that I’d take it with a grain of salt

Otherwise it’s like Rocky Balboa saying Thunder Lips is his toughest opponent
You can downplay it all you like with throw away crap like that, it just makes your credibility look mediocre.

My credibility? From the guy making up bullshit comments

Nice one
Calling me a liar? Willams rated him highly as a opponent, get over it.
Kerley rated him in the top 10 players to get at the formation of the Crows.

The only thing you've been vaguely close on was McIntosh's speed, he wasn't the quickest.
Neither were Andrew Jarman or Willams, but it mattered less in that era.

Just going back to the original posters post about watching the old Crows games

One thing you will notice going back to watch footy from the early 90s is just how much the game and telecasts/commentary have been sanitised by the AFL since then.

If you go back and watch games from the early 90s commentators like Don Scott were absolutely scathing about both the umpires and the standard of some of the games.

It was very common to hear stuff from the commentators like "That's absolutely ridiculous umpiring", "That's pathetic umpire", "That umpire has had a terrible day", "what a disgusting decision, is the umpire even watching the game?" and also stuff like, "what a terrible standard game", "poor skills", "what a horrible game"

It's really noticeable now just how much freedom the commentators had back then compared to now. Obviously now the AFL makes the telecasters spruik the game by talking about "how great it is" and make them tread very carefully when it comes to discussing umpires and their decisions.

Last edited:
Just going back to the original posters post about watching the old Crows game

One thing you will notice going back to watch footy from the early 90s is just how much the game and telecasts/commentary have been sanitised by the AFL since then.

If you go back and watch games from the early 90s commentators like Don Scott were absolutely scathing about both the umpires and the standard of some of the games.

It was very common to hear stuff from the commentators like "That's absolutely ridiculous umpiring", "That's pathetic umpire", "That umpire has had a terrible day", "what a disgusting decision, is the umpire even watching the game?" and also stuff like, "what a terrible standard game", "poor skills", "what a horrible game"

It's really noticeable now just how much freedom the commentators had back then compared to now. Obviously now the AFL makes the telecasters spruik the game by talking about "how great it is" and make them tread very carefully when it comes to discussing umpires and their decisions.
Yes and no. Eddie used to go full tomato when calling Collingwood games.

I think Rowey once said they were sent letters asking to tone down the criticism. ie they might hurt the umpires feelings or stop others wanting to come and be umpires.

I actually am not a fan of criticising the umpires too much. I know its a fast paced game and reflections can be hard but surely that should stop you from making harsh calls. I figure 50% of watchers will agree and 50% wont and you wont change either of their minds

Calling me a liar? Willams rated him highly as a opponent, get over it.
Kerley rated him in the top 10 players to get at the formation of the Crows.

The only thing you've been vaguely close on was McIntosh's speed, he wasn't the quickest.
Neither were Andrew Jarman or Willams, but it mattered less in that era.

Look fanboy, I’m sure he signed your duffle coat once and it was special, but please

Imagine arguing like a chump about a meaningless, throwaway quote you can’t even prove? Wowee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding the thread title, the Good Old Days will depend when you were born. Back in the late 50s when I started playing. The grounds--even SANFL, VFL etc--were not drained adequately. This slowed the game considerably in the wet months and the game became a slog. It often happened that the side that could overcome the glue on their boots the best won the game. It is far more physically exhausting to play and train on muddy grounds. I swear I almost drowned at the bottom of a pack one arvo.
You rarely see this now, even on suburban grounds and strangely I miss those mud fests--survival of the fittest. The game has changed into something more resembling basketball with the constant running each way by all 36, but man-on-man in the mud sorted the wheat from the chaff.

Footy back then was basically the mantra of "you score will score more approach, may the best team win". Nowadays its about stopping the opposition from playing and getting the on your terms. The game against Carlton last season describes modern footy perfectly, Carlton tried to go with us at the start, immediately 3 goals down, decided to make the game into a scrap and caused a more frustrating but closer game. If everyone played attacking footy against us last season, we would of cake walked the premiership. Defense wins premierships these days, ever since 2005 it's been the case. It easy also to forget some of the garbage games that were played during that era, none of the grand finals were particular close or enthralling bar 97,98 for obvious reasons.

Yes and no. Eddie used to go full tomato when calling Collingwood games.

I think Rowey once said they were sent letters asking to tone down the criticism. ie they might hurt the umpires feelings or stop others wanting to come and be umpires.

I actually am not a fan of criticising the umpires too much. I know its a fast paced game and reflections can be hard but surely that should stop you from making harsh calls. I figure 50% of watchers will agree and 50% wont and you wont change either of their minds

Which of course is bullshit. Couldnt be simpler - you want a bigger pool of qualified umpire candidates, you make it a full time role and pay more money.

Footy back then was basically the mantra of "you score will score more approach, may the best team win". Nowadays its about stopping the opposition from playing and getting the on your terms. The game against Carlton last season describes modern footy perfectly, Carlton tried to go with us at the start, immediately 3 goals down, decided to make the game into a scrap and caused a more frustrating but closer game. If everyone played attacking footy against us last season, we would of cake walked the premiership. Defense wins premierships these days, ever since 2005 it's been the case. It easy also to forget some of the garbage games that were played during that era, none of the grand finals were particular close or enthralling bar 97,98 for obvious reasons.

Remember back to Terry Wallace Bulldogs and all the talk about "flooding" in what year? Defensive mindsets have been around a while now - improved fitness base has just made if more prevalent/practical.

Remember back to Terry Wallace Bulldogs and all the talk about "flooding" in what year? Defensive mindsets have been around a while now - improved fitness base has just made if more prevalent/practical.
2000, only team to beat the bombers that season. What happened in today's game it more team defense rather than just the 6 blokes at the back beating there opponents one on one.

I remember back to the morning of September 29 2017 when life and footy was great.
spirits were high, and there was belief :(

Just going back to the original posters post about watching the old Crows games

Quality post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back