Remove Sam Newman from the Hall of Fame petition.

Remove this Banner Ad

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No idea how someone could be offended by the welcome to country ceromy. It's so inclusive and 'feel good vibes'. It's literally a welcome. Dare I say the people offended by it are a bit (prepare for modern political buzzword) snowflakey.

In saying that, no idea why people want to make Sam Newman's comments a national crusade. Just ignore him.

For those he say but he has a platform, sure, but also who cares. His views are a lot more publicity because of the reaction he gets.
It's more the acknowledgement of country which seems to occur at every work event, meeting , toilet break that people are tired of. I'm all for it when done appropriately but it's completely over done now and people who put their hand up to do it (white people) don't even know what they're saying. It's cringeworthy at best and a waste of time .

Last edited:

SSwans2011

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, Crystal Palace
It's more the acknowledgement of country which seems to occur at every work event, meeting , toilet break that people are tired of. I'm all for it when done appropriately but it's completely over done now and people who put their hand up to do it (white people) don't even know what they're saying. It's cringeworthy at best and a waste of time .
Welcome to Country has to be one of the most harmless and inoffensive things you can take issue with, you have to be a pretty big snowflake to he as pressed over it as Sam is.

Outtatym

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Welcome to Country has to be one of the most harmless and inoffensive things you can take issue with, you have to be a pretty big snowflake to he as pressed over it as Sam is.
That's fine, but why are we doing it for people that are in their own country?

International sporting events absolutely.

SSwans2011

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Because it's harmless and meaningful to a group of the population that has long been vilified in the sport. Big whoop. It doesn't change anything, game starts at the same time, you can just ignore it if you don't feel like you need to be welcomed.

National anthem annoys me more because the song and most people that perform it suck ass, but I don't spend time or energy getting worked up about it.

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sounds like you don't know the difference between welcome to country and acknowledgement of country.

Aristotle Pickett

Premium Platinum
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

International sporting events absolutely.
Because one people have controlled the country for 65,000 years . It's a welcome to Indigenous country .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SSwans2011

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sounds like you don't know the difference between welcome to country and acknowledgement of country.
I know the difference. Both are completely inoffensive to anyone that isn't a massive crybaby.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
I'm not a fan of his controversial takes or self-importance and think we should just ignore his opinions on pretty much everything, but he's there for his football achievements.
We should be able to separate the two things.

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know the difference. Both are completely inoffensive to anyone that isn't a massive crybaby.
Not offensive whatsoever. Just pointless every single day at every single meeting, the same place we turn up to everyday. If it were a different location, sure... if it was a different occasion of course. There's meaning in overdoing something.

Docker Alyssa

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
How?

If you simply don’t agree with it, then just don’t acknowledge it. Booing or jeering is vocally demonstrating that the ceremony taking place isn’t worthy of occurring. That it is fundamentally wrong; the only two reasons crowds boo umpires or players is because either a) they have done something ‘wrong’ or incorrect or b) they hate them.

If you’re booing a simple welcome gesture what is that saying to the person performing it?

I agree. I don't know why this thread or sentiment against Sam Newman even exists for us to see, or is being propagated. Why you doing that, against your own advice? Weird. 🤦‍♂️

Chief

~~ Alpha ~~
Dec 1, 1999
Gates' Payroll
AFL Club
Carlton
It was a perjorative term
We have taken it off you!

used to describe idealistic young progressive lefties who think they hold the moral high ground on every issue, who adopt a near-militant attitude towards shaming anyone who doesn't get fully on board with their various policy prescriptions.

I am sure that is how it felt to you.

Remove this Banner Ad