Rename 'Australian Rules Football' please.

giskard

Draftee
Dec 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Vancouver - NHL
What about just "Rules Football". But we need something that encompasses the free flowing skillful nature of a game is also very tough physically, and tough to master skills wise. I actually heard a NZ person refer to it as "Rules".
Didn't it used to be called Colonial Football way back before Australia became a thing, Apparently there was a game that came out of Christchurch NZ called Christchurch football apparently they used to bounce the ball like we do in Aussie Rules. There's another candidate. Does the term "Aussie Rules" remove the so called "Australian" barrier?

Perhaps we should go back to the creators of the game, or the places where it was first played? "Scotch Football" to take a leaf out of Rugy Union?

Didn't the South Australians refer to it as "National Football" hence the SANFL?

Since it was played at Richmond Paddock, Paddock Football, I'm not being serious, but trying to figure something that works.

One of the first games was played by South Yarra... Yarra Football perhaps? Keeps an Australianess to the name.

I've seen a reference to it being called Field Football, maybe similar to Field Hockey in Name.

And from the Wiki page "The game was first known as Melbourne rules football then as the game spread throughout the country, it became known as Victorian rules football and then Australian rules football."

Back