Expansion Rename the ridiculous Battle Of The Bridge

Remove this Banner Ad

The Battle of the Bridge doesn't make much geographical sense. It's not like the clubs are based on either side of the bridge (Nth and West). Mostly everyone on the Nth side of the bridge follows Union anyway, and mostly everyone West follows League.

But I suppose it's as good a name as any in lieu of any actual rivalry existing between the teams (most GWS members are SYD members also).

The Battle of the Bridge doesn't make much geographical sense. It's not like the clubs are based on either side of the bridge (Nth and West). Mostly everyone on the Nth side of the bridge follows Union anyway, and mostly everyone West follows League.

But I suppose it's as good a name as any in lieu of any actual rivalry existing between the teams (most GWS members are SYD members also).

Some people are .......

A) ITS NOT CALLED THE BATTLE OF THE BRIDGE ANY MORE !!!!! - hasn't been for at least two years. Read the first page of the thread where this was explained.

B) it was never about the harbour bridge anyway. It was always about the ANZAC bridge which is the one you drive over if you are leaving the city and heading West - there's a bloody big blue sign on the approaches that says "CITY-WESTLINK" which you would have known had you read any of the their three hundred threads on this over the past five years.

C) Can we please SHUT THIS F#*KING THREAD DOWN NOW.

The daily telegraph refers to it as the battle of the bridge. That's what it's called. That's what were calling it.

Some people are .......

A) ITS NOT CALLED THE BATTLE OF THE BRIDGE ANY MORE !!!!! - hasn't been for at least two years. Read the first page of the thread where this was explained.

B) it was never about the harbour bridge anyway. It was always about the ANZAC bridge which is the one you drive over if you are leaving the city and heading West - there's a bloody big blue sign on the approaches that says "CITY-WESTLINK" which you would have known had you read any of the their three hundred threads on this over the past five years.

C) Can we please SHUT THIS F#*KING THREAD DOWN NOW.

Going to enjoy the Battle of the Bridge today bro?

Almost all Swans & GWS fans call it the Sydney Derby, we have for years now.
Most media have finally accepted it and dropped the BoB rubbish, thank god. although I noticed League teams went with the BoB last night.
As fans we've already made up our minds, the media can either catch up or continue to show exactly how ignorant they are of AFL in Sydney.
Nah,
They call it the darby, not pronouncing it like the traditional Australian derby footy game between the mighty South Fremantle Bulldogs (the real Western Bulldogs) & the east Fremantle sharks.
How about the War of the Warratah?!:p
Seriously, I don't care, so long as my Giants take the choccies.
Perhaps they can get extra sponsorship & it could be the Toyota title, the NAB battle, or the PeeBall war? :D

sydney vs western suburbs

The+Meccano+Set.jpg

The story behind "Tank Stream Rumble" ...

... It starts back in 1788 (true) when Govenor Arthur Philip arrived on the First Fleet at Botany Bay (present day Sydney Airport) to establish a colony. Turns out they had been given dud instructions by Captain Cook because there was no fresh water there. They looked around for a few days and found a small cove to the north (present day Circular Quay) which had a source of fresh water. So they relocated there, arriving on 26th January 1788 which we now commemorate as Australia Day / Invasion Day depending on your point of view.

The source of fresh water was called the "Tank Stream" which still runs underneath Sydney. For anybody who has ever noticed that the Main Street of Sydney - George St - doesn't run in a straight line, it's because it follows the path of the Tank Stream, half a block to its west.

Anyway, back in 1788 Arthur Philip made the rather arbitrary decision to settle the convicts on the western shore of the Tank Stream, and the officers and gentry were settled on the eastern shore. That might have seemed like a decision of little consequence at the time, but it had a profound affect on Sydney's evolution from a colony, to a town, to a city, to a metropolis. Today, just as back in 1788, the lower socioeconomic areas remain to the west in GWS / Spotless Stadium territory, and the upper socioeconomic areas remain to the east in Swans / SCG territory.

So the term "Tank Stream Rumble" represents a historic clash of classes that dates back to when this country was colonised.

AFL is a middle class game in the sydney metro. the giants supporters are equivalent soy latte sippers from the outer inner west suburbs of concord, ryde, gladesville, etc, as the soy latte sippers of the swans from the inner city/west, north shore and eastern suburbs.

you want clash of classes, i give you the economy lifters and supporters of Sydney FC vs the centrelink cattle queuing from the supporters of the wanderers.

AFL is a middle class game in the sydney metro. the giants supporters are equivalent soy latte sippers from the outer inner west suburbs of concord, ryde, gladesville, etc, as the soy latte sippers of the swans from the inner city/west, north shore and eastern suburbs.

you want clash of classes, i give you the economy lifters and supporters of Sydney FC vs the centrelink cattle queuing from the supporters of the wanderers.
This post is wrong on so many levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL is a middle class game in the sydney metro. the giants supporters are equivalent soy latte sippers from the outer inner west suburbs of concord, ryde, gladesville, etc, ...

I did see somebody wearing a GWS scarf in Hunters Hill last week (true), so yes, that certainly validates your point.

But where your argument falls over (and I say this as somebody who lives inner west and is posting this while sitting my local cafe sipping on a soy chai latte (true) ) ...

... Is we will ***always*** be west of the eastern suburbs. Sure, there are different degrees of west, but west is west. The AFL were on the money when they named the team "Greater Western Sydney". No doubt it was a Swans supporting consultant from Paddington who advised them on that one.

And that's all a good thing IMV :)

... as the soy latte sippers of the swans from the inner city/west, north shore and eastern suburbs.

Soy latte is so 2013 in the Eastern suburbs!

... you want clash of classes, i give you the economy lifters and supporters of Sydney FC vs the centrelink cattle queuing from the supporters of the wanderers.

Yeah, but it's the same thing IMHO ... I'm West (even if I do live within a couple of kicks of the ANZAC bridge and haven't visited a Centrelink office for at least three months) but I could never bring myself to support Sydney FC.

Seriously. What the f#*k is this doing here?

It hasn't been called the battle of the bridge in years.

And this is about the 20th thread where this has been explained.

HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU NEED TO BE TOLD????!!!!

Seriously

F#*k off with this f#*#ing s#*t

LOCK THE THREAD.

I'd hate to see how you react to serious issues..

I did see somebody wearing a GWS scarf in Hunters Hill last week (true), so yes, that certainly validates your point.

But where your argument falls over (and I say this as somebody who lives inner west and is posting this while sitting my local cafe sipping on a soy chai latte (true) ) ...

... Is we will ***always*** be west of the eastern suburbs. Sure, there are different degrees of west, but west is west. The AFL were on the money when they named the team "Greater Western Sydney". No doubt it was a Swans supporting consultant from Paddington who advised them on that one.

And that's all a good thing IMV :)

Soy latte is so 2013 in the Eastern suburbs!

Yeah, but it's the same thing IMHO ... I'm West (even if I do live within a couple of kicks of the ANZAC bridge and haven't visited a Centrelink office for at least three months) but I could never bring myself to support Sydney FC.

you obviously don't understand where the Greater Western Sydney region of the Greater Sydney metropolitan is. hint: it's not entirely where the AFL or Kevin Sheedy told you it is. an area merely west of the Sydney CBD doesn't label it in the region of Western Sydney. anyone living in the inner west from pyrmont to concord would not consider their suburb as 'western sydney', unless they're attempting to twist an argument based on the footy clubs they support such as yourself with either the giants or wanderers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back