All capitals $510
National $510

House average (all houses)
Sydney $748
Canberra $865
Melbourne $582

All capitals $686
National $582

Canberra's housing stock is newer on average though, which may account for some of it.
Even when I moved up here a scummy unit in one of the lower priced suburbs was higher than what I paid for a (still scummy, but) better place in South Yarra. That was not newer stock in either city, uninsulated top floor in Canberra.
At that time buying was cheap by Australian standards, but renting was a nightmare - partly because there was higher turnover every Christmas. People doing their 12 or 24 month stint in the capital before returning to the state and regional offices weren't buying in Canberra.
Canberra rental market is a nightmare for two key reasons:
  • Very few people actually want to settle here so why buy
  • No matter the government or economic state, the Canberra workforce will always grow. One department in 2018 was ordered by their minister to grow outside Canberra. The result, their workforce in Canberra has grown by hundreds while their workforce in every other state (where they actually delivered outputs) shrank to pay for the ever bloating Canberra workforce.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Big Papa Ted

Team Captain
May 26, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
In favour of this even as someone who benefits from the rules but if we're capping the max number of benefits id like to see the same thing applied to having kids. Shouldn't get benefits for perpetually being on maternity leave and not contributing

Any decision on negative gearing (and policy in general) needs to take into account we need policy to get people off public purse reliance. Investing in a rental does that. Reward hard work and sacrifice, not those who just expect the government to bail them out when they havent saved a cent in a lifetime of work.
I don't think people who own an investment property are on the public purse.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think people who own an investment property are on the public purse.
Without the rental property they may resort to it. You should be trying to keep people off it is my point. Age pension costs going to get very expensive if everyone is reliant on that. Investment properties help people fund their own retirement. Its a good thing despite the serial losers moaning claims otherwise

Big Papa Ted

Team Captain
May 26, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Without the rental property they may resort to it. You should be trying to keep people off it is my point. Age pension costs going to get very expensive if everyone is reliant on that. Investment properties help people fund their own retirement. Its a good thing despite the serial losers moaning claims otherwise
Yeah, at the detriment of someone else's home ownership. If someone didn't invest in property, they could put it into stocks, their super, bonds etc.

People owning multiple domestic dwellings isn't a good thing for society. The evidence of it this is being outlined in this thread.

Domestic dwellings shouldn't be a commodity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back