Home & Garden Rental plumbing

Remove this Banner Ad

May 1, 2007
Camped in the goalsquare
AFL Club
Sydney
So one of the drains that leads off the property in my place is blocked and waters rising up into the backyard. I'm making an educated guess that something was flushed that wasn't meant to be. If I go through the agent to get it unblocked who pays? I ask because I'm positive it's our fault and if we have to pay going through the agent and wait days for them to get around to it, I'd rather just get a local plumber in fast.

Thanks.

If it's your fault you'll have to pay.

Be careful with bypassing the agent though. It's not your property so if something goes wrong with the repairs done by the guy you hire, you'll be liable.

If it were me I'd be calling the agent and making it very clear it's an emergency - hint at possible further property damage occurring if it's not fixed immediately, that should put a rocket up them.

Most places I've rented, the agent has provided me with a list of approved tradesmen in the event of emergency fixes being needed outside office hours. Perhaps you can suggest this to them for the future.

Oh it's not an emergency, it's not constantly rising, it's just come up the past few days during peak times when waters in high use. Worst part is, now I think about it I did flush a wad of kitchen towels about a week ago without thinking.

Oy, vey.

Cheers, mate.

Are you sure it's due to you flushing something down the toilet? It seems strange for a blockage in the toilet to cause water seeping in your backyard. Do you have a septic system or are you plumbed up to mains sewerage?

Plumbing issues are paid for by the owner. Trust me I'm an owner with a rental property. Call the agent and cross your fingers. Most agents get have a plumber they use for all their rental properties and just send the bill to the owner or deduct it from the rent. I don't think you would have anything to worry about. The longer you leave it could get worse.