Home & Garden Renting in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just moved back to Melbourne. Staying with a mate in Brunswick at the moment but will eventually need to find a place of my own. My mate said I can stay as long as I want but I don't want to overstay my welcome. I'm actually thinking about getting a studio in the CBD. My nephew lived in the CBD last year and only paid about $220 a week.

I'll chime in here.

I'll be living in Fitzroy with my uncle next year. But in the extremely unlikely case that it falls through, I'll try and live on campus at uni. Failing that, how hard would it to be for me to get a place? An 18/19 year old looking for rent in the inner norther suburbs sounds a bit of a struggle. But hey, I'd even take the CBD.

I Recently just advertised a room in my Brunswick house on gumtree using a pretty basic description of the place and myself and got 60 replies, Couldn't believe the response.
Your age may place against you if you take this avenue because you will notice there's not a lot of people on that site who are keen on the 18-20 market.

My partner and I are also moving to Melbourne in the next few weeks. We'll be living with my dad in South Yarra while we look for a place.

We're 24 yrs old, looking for a 2+ bed, 1+ bath for up to $600pw. Would like to be a short tram/train/bus ride into the CBD as thats where we'll be working. Big fan of good food and bars as well. Originally looking at the Southbank, Prahran and South Yarra areas but have now added Carlton and Richmond due to the advice posted in this thread earlier.

Can I get some opinions on the above areas?

Cheers!

What are your experiences with share-housing for the first time?

I don't live at home. I moved out when I started uni this year. However, I'm currently living on campus.

When I move to Melbourne next year, I might be able to scavenge a place on campus. Maybe. Being interstate will help my case. But I'm not entirely sure if I'm comfortable with living on campus for another year...

So I'll probably be sharehousing. In that sense, it'll be a lot more 'adult' than living on campus. And the finances will take a bigger hit. Considering I both want, and need, to live close to the city, how much will rent cost? It seems $250 seems to be the base cost for a room (in places like Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, etc.). I'd like a mate to come over and live with me, but I don't know if that's the case: Most of them can't, or don't want to leave WA...

So how was it for everyone else?

My partner and I are also moving to Melbourne in the next few weeks. We'll be living with my dad in South Yarra while we look for a place.

We're 24 yrs old, looking for a 2+ bed, 1+ bath for up to $600pw. Would like to be a short tram/train/bus ride into the CBD as thats where we'll be working. Big fan of good food and bars as well. Originally looking at the Southbank, Prahran and South Yarra areas but have now added Carlton and Richmond due to the advice posted in this thread earlier.

Cheers!

I would scratch Prahran. With your budget you have better options.

I'd probably look at an apartment in Port Melbourne, if you're working in the city.

You should be able to get a modern 2br 1+bath in a decent building for <$600.

Cheers!

Mate, for $600pw you will basically find a place anywhere near the city - there are alot more apartments in Melbourne than in Perth, and as such there are more available and they are about the same price.

Carlton is a great place for bars/resteraunts - Richmond is great, but be careful you are on the right side... if you are too close to Victoria street it can be a little dicey due to the Public Housing in the area - great cheap vietnamese food tho.

Hawthorn is the next suburb out from Richmond - makes basically no difference in travel time if you can get near a station. Nice area, easy walk to bars/pubs and a bit cheaper than Rich/Carl too.

Southbank is bloody conveniant (5 min walk to cbd), but it is pretty sterile - feels a bit like a big apartment complex (same as docklands). Don't know much about Prahan.

Nth Melbourne can be a fun place to live too - I lived there for a couple of years. Close to town, great cafes/bars and some good food too... Again - be careful to live in the 'good' side of it though..

Good luck!

What are your experiences with share-housing for the first time?

I don't live at home. I moved out when I started uni this year. However, I'm currently living on campus.

When I move to Melbourne next year, I might be able to scavenge a place on campus. Maybe. Being interstate will help my case. But I'm not entirely sure if I'm comfortable with living on campus for another year...

So I'll probably be sharehousing. In that sense, it'll be a lot more 'adult' than living on campus. And the finances will take a bigger hit. Considering I both want, and need, to live close to the city, how much will rent cost? It seems $250 seems to be the base cost for a room (in places like Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, etc.). I'd like a mate to come over and live with me, but I don't know if that's the case: Most of them can't, or don't want to leave WA...

So how was it for everyone else?

Sharehousing can be awesome - you just have to get the basics right... You gotta sort out the food rules, cleaning rules and use of the bathroom - after that everything is all good.

In my experience, it is better to live with friends at first - better to have someone gentle to break you in... It is surprising what you don't know about cleaning/hygiene when you move out of home/college :eek::D You should put the word out amongst your uni friends that you are looking for a room in a share house - they tend to come up quite often.

You should be able to find a room for about $160-180 per week (plus bills).

Each house has it's own culture on food sharing (seperate shelves in fridge/share all food/ communal food kitty for the week), cleaning roster is a good idea too :thumbsu:

Me and my mate are looking to move to Melbourne in around February next year and would be looking for 2 bedroom place.

We both would be working full-time and would look to pay around $400 for rent(hopefully cheaper). Which areas would be best to look for? Out in the suburbs would be fine cause we have transport.

I'm moving to Kensington/Flemington area in December and can definately say it's quite nice.

Affordable living and the people/pubs are great also [,,,]

Yes, I agree. I especially like Kensington. The tree-lined Epsom Road and shopping strip on Macaulay Road are quite attractive.

I'm moving to Kensington/Flemington area in December and can definately say it's quite nice.

Affordable living and the people/pubs are great also, not as big of a wank element as brunswick/fitzroy (which I am trying to avoid obviously).

Substitute Brunswick for Northcote in the sentence and you'd be correct. Brunswick is nowhere near the wank factor of Northcote

I reckon Windsor is massively underrated, it is the next suburb down after Prahran along Chapel Street. You can duck round the back into the city and it is close to St Kilda too so you have a few places with alot going on in close proximity. In South Yarra/Prahran you are likely to be living in a flat, whereas Windsor you can get a townhouse with a courtyard for a similar price or less. The Windsor end of Chapel St too is far nicer, less retail and more bars and cafes.

Brunswick and Fitzroy (Brunswick Street) get heaps of hype for being hipster central, but realistically you may see some odd dudes or people in op shop attire but it is nothing that is going to turn you off the place. Sydney Rd and Brunswick St have heaps of pubs with great beer gardens and cafes for breakfast. Fitzroy is closer to the city and probably a bit younger so if you are wandering around on a Saturday night there will be drunk idiots. Less on Sydney Road and far less on the Windsor end of Chapel (lots of late night clubs in Prahran).

Brunswick is great because you can get a townhouse in decent condition with a bit of character for as much as you would pay for a shoebox flat in South Yarra, with the 19 tram taking 10 minutes to get into the city. Lots of parks too.

Richmond is a pretty safe bet too around Burnley, Bridge, Swan & Church St areas. Lots of young professional couples as rent can be slightly more expensive. Not many clubs in this area so less s**t to deal with on weekend nights. Close to everywhere but a little less happening for those 18-22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really struggling to find anywhere decent for $600pw in South Yarra. I was in Melbourne 2 weeks ago and had a look at a couple of places but they're either tiny new apartments with a small balcony or an original or long ago renovated terrace house. I was hoping to be able to rent a newly renovated terrace house with nice courtyard for $600pw max but it looks like you need to pay $700+ for that.

Hrrmm really do have our hearts set on South Yarra

I reckon Windsor is massively underrated.

Agree, it's great and close. I worked in Wellington street many years ago and found the distance really good.

Plus the pubs in the area have a great history.

Looking for some melbournite advice on commute times!

Potentially moving there soon, the job would be in the CBD. I look at Fitzroy and it's about 2 km from the building - so I figure I could walk there in 20-25 mins, which would be great, but what about the trams? Whenever I stay in Melbourne, they're pretty good, but I'm not really rushing into the CBD at peak hour. If I lived next to a tram station in Fitzroy or a similarly distanced suburb, how long would it take me to get to exhibition st?

I know this seems like a lot of faffing about for a few minutes, but one of the reasons I'm moving is a super long commute.

Potentially moving there soon, the job would be in the CBD. I look at Fitzroy and it's about 2 km from the building - so I figure I could walk there in 20-25 mins, which would be great, but what about the trams? Whenever I stay in Melbourne, they're pretty good, but I'm not really rushing into the CBD at peak hour. If I lived next to a tram station in Fitzroy or a similarly distanced suburb, how long would it take me to get to exhibition st?

I know this seems like a lot of faffing about for a few minutes, but one of the reasons I'm moving is a super long commute.
If you live in Fitzroy, you've got it good.

If you work in the city and live in Fitzroy, you've got it great. Essentially, you'll have it the best.

The suburb itself is tiny. I actually think it's one of the smallest in Australia. You'll be no more than a few minutes (literally, less than five) from the 86 and 112. I guess they get kind of busy during peak hour, but everything is busy during peak hour. You kind of have to expect that in a city of a few million people. It's probably just as fast and cheaper to walk to Exhibition if you're in Fitzroy. But Fitzroy North and the surrounding burbs, well... it depends on where you're getting on. Even if you're in somewhere like Brunswick or Northcote (popular with young professionals and young punks in general), it's probably only a 20(-30 at the absolute most) minute commute.

I live in Fitzroy and I'm a fast walker. It takes me about 20 minutes to walk to Fed Square. It's a really cool suburb, particularly if you like your bar, gig, and art scene. No idea how old you are, but it's pretty expensive if you live by yourself and get a flat.

On a push-bike, less than ten minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back