Replacing Canberra games

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Canberra receives their own AFL team in the future, where would you like to see the surplus games played?

Canberra currently receives three AFL men's, a preseason, and an AFL Women's match.

Personally, I'd like to see a greater presence in Western Sydney, with the extra women's game at Blacktown and two of the men's games at Olympic Park. To avoid the clash with the Easter Show, I'd actually like to see a heavily-promoted game against a high-pulling Vic club (Richmond or Collingwood) played at ANZ Stadium.

I think one annual AFLm game at Newcastle would also be great to spread the support.

I think the one preseason match should get floated around. I'd like to see games go to the Central West (Orange or Bathurst) and Wollongong if they've got the facilities.

Still likely a decade before such a scenario could happen, but what are your thoughts?

I think it is unlikely that Canberra would get it's own AFL team anytime soon.

I think the smartest thing the Giants did was align themselves with Canberra making the Giants very accessible to the Riverina, probably the most Aussie Rules focused part of NSW.

Despite being a Western Sydney based fan, I would like to see the Giants do as much as possible for the Canberra region. It is tough, for every game they move there is at the expense of a Western Sydney Game.

One thing I have thought of previously is trying to "buy" a Gold Coast v Giants home game every second year to be played in Canberra. The reason it has to be Suns, is that every other game would be too expensive.

I think it is unlikely that Canberra would get it's own AFL team anytime soon.

I think the smartest thing the Giants did was align themselves with Canberra making the Giants very accessible to the Riverina, probably the most Aussie Rules focused part of NSW.

Despite being a Western Sydney based fan, I would like to see the Giants do as much as possible for the Canberra region. It is tough, for every game they move there is at the expense of a Western Sydney Game.

One thing I have thought of previously is trying to "buy" a Gold Coast v Giants home game every second year to be played in Canberra. The reason it has to be Suns, is that every other game would be too expensive.

Greater Canberra will be approaching 700k by 2041, so I think it would be realistic in 15-20 years. I fully expect the Giants to either be selling out their stadium or increasing its capacity by then.

I do like the idea of buying more GWS games for Canberra without reducing a WS presence. The Suns' presence is too important for growing the game in Qld, but there'd be plenty of Vic teams in that position.

The Giants get $400k per Canberra game (I think), so I'm sure the Saints or 'Roos could use that cash. I believe the the Suns were actually the away team in Cairns, but with home support, so it could be similar to that.

If it were to happen, it’s at least a decade away.

We could have that LA game and maybe a game in the central west.

There’s the 2 home games during the Easter show.

Next problem?

I'm a big fan of the LA idea. There's also recent plan to convert a baseball stadium to a cricket stadium in Dallas that could be a good alternate.

The Easter Show should be easy to overcome. Geelong and Gold Coast stacked away games around renovations and Commonwealth Games, so not a huge hurdle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back