Replacing Kiddy for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the kicking has to be the priority. I'm favouring Zorko.

Kiddy at his best like the prelim last year was also playing very good defence and always managed to at least neutralise the aerial contest. I honestly think Zorko is just too short to be playing in that halfback role.

I reckon Prior or Lester when Doedee comes back are our best options. With McKenna coming back and Berry going to the wing again we obviously will have less penetration off halfback but it’s not like we lack top quality talent. McKenna and Lester won’t find a kick that splits apart the defence but when they get the handball off a mark are quite talented at finding a target down the field.

Kiddy at his best like the prelim last year was also playing very good defence and always managed to at least neutralise the aerial contest. I honestly think Zorko is just too short to be playing in that halfback role.

I reckon Prior or Lester when Doedee comes back are our best options. With McKenna coming back and Berry going to the wing again we obviously will have less penetration off halfback but it’s not like we lack top quality talent. McKenna and Lester won’t find a kick that splits apart the defence but when they get the handball off a mark are quite talented at finding a target down the field.
I thought Froggy was generally ok last night . He's not that robust body that gets back into the hole but at least he was proactive in trying to make the play when we needed a lift.

I don't see how Froggy's position can be threatened on his form . He's one guy you can see on the vision who is genuinely trying his guts out.

Kiddy is a huge loss no doubt , but gives others the chance to step up.

I thought Froggy was generally ok last night . He's not that robust body that gets back into the hole but at least he was proactive in trying to make the play when we needed a lift.

I don't see how Froggy's position can be threatened on his form . He's one guy you can see on the vision who is genuinely trying his guts out.

Kiddy is a huge loss no doubt , but gives others the chance to step up.

Froggy’s position was always in doubt since his third tall role is what Doedee would come back into since Doedee is better. If Lester can pivot into a smart distributor he could keep his spot by shifting roles into something similar to what we lost in Kiddy.

Obviously won’t be nearly the same but honeslty every half back is built different and you plan part of your game around what they are proficient in.

So we’d run a back seven of Andrews, Payne, Doedee, Lester, Starcevich, Wilmot and McKenna which can definitely be premiership quality.

I think it’s Zorko, only other creative kicker. Cal is a workhorse but does not have a laser boot. Need someone to change angles, Zorko and McKenna.

Also like Pendles, is a good spot on the field to preserve Zorks physically.

We've got a ton of guys that we can try over the next little while to see who fits best. Cal would be my first bet but we've got McKenna coming back which will help and also Madden who can help with run and carry. Even Zac Bailey and Jarryd Berry could be given a crack. We will still win the flag so lets just chill.

my problem with zorko replacing coleman is intercepting is not a skill he has ever really shown whereas its something that coleman brings in spades

i think zorko is much better used further up the ground as a link between our midfield and forward lines

We've got a ton of guys that we can try over the next little while to see who fits best. Cal would be my first bet but we've got McKenna coming back which will help and also Madden who can help with run and carry. Even Zac Bailey and Jarryd Berry could be given a crack. We will still win the flag so let’s just chill.
We have a tonne to try, but we have too many who have poor disposal. This is our Achilles heel.
Too many of the options have sub par foot disposal or terrible decision making under minimal pressure.
The ball would be coming straight back in, exposing the slower talls we have.
Coleman, unfortunately, is the hardest to replace in the team in 24.
So much of our game is built around him from the backline.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of playing Bailey off the half back flank and Lohmann in his HFF role. Think it's worth trying.
I can't have Lohmann on anything I've seen Nunez . But I could push Ah Chee forward who has far more to offer than Lohmann and makes up for defensive forward pressure if Gardiner goes back to the backline.

Bailey actually had a successful stint in the backline in his 2nd year IIRC.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of playing Bailey off the half back flank and Lohmann in his HFF role. Think it's worth trying.
I think Bailey is an elite small forward with short stints up the field, too valuable up forward to send back... IMO he is a 35+ goals a season player.

I think Bailey is an elite small forward with short stints up the field, too valuable up forward to send back... IMO he is a 35+ goals a season player.
2 or 3 years ago we had all these guys , Bailey, Rayner ,Clug , Starc , Hipwood etc whom we all presumed were going to develop into A or even A+ Graders.

They're all good players but time proves it's easier to have the promise than take the next step.

The guys we have following them aren't anywhere near as good as them bar Ashcroft . Our improvement as a team has come via acquisitions.

So I'm enjoying our time in the sun and hoping we're able to keep replenishing the list somehow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I forgot Wilmot who potentially could be an A Grader. He's just as good as the class 4 or 5 years ahead of him. At this stage.
And Jaspa Fletcher? Plus hopefully Levi Ashcroft turns out to be as good as his big brother, currently slated as a top 3-5 lock in this years draft.

He is and it would be a big call to move him, but you’d like to think that a forward line containing Cameron, Daniher, McCarthy, Hipwood and Rayner have enough points in it to kick a winning score week to week.

Bailey could be a game breaker down back, where his lack of awareness which gets found out in congestion up field, wouldn’t be as exposed.

It won’t happen though. They’ll play it safe I think, at least initially and start with Zorko perhaps or simply just swap Kiddy for McKenna and see how Motty and McKenna go filling the role.

We are already a very good forward line without Zac there, so think we could and would make it work IF someone can step up in his role. Kai is the guy for me, but ultimately will need to build continuity.

The only player on our list (with experience off the halfback line) who can replace Kiddy's kicking ability is Zorko, but at this stage in his career I think he'd be too much of a liability defensively, and he probably doesn't have the fitness to play the role full-time. As amazing as kiddy's disposal and vision is, his ability to impact marking contests and willingness to sit in the hole and take contact is what I find so impressive about his game.

Ah Chee is probably the best choice to cover that aspect, and who I'd go for, as honestly that's what I think we'll miss most. Motty, McKenna and Doedee all have the ability to cover Kiddy's work getting the ball out of our D50, albeit in different ways. Motty especially is who I'm hoping will really step up, love everything about the way he plays and what he brings to our club, and I think this is a great opportunity for him to take his game to the next level.

The only player on our list (with experience off the halfback line) who can replace Kiddy's kicking ability is Zorko, but at this stage in his career I think he'd be too much of a liability defensively, and he probably doesn't have the fitness to play the role full-time. As amazing as kiddy's disposal and vision is, his ability to impact marking contests and willingness to sit in the hole and take contact is what I find so impressive about his game.

Ah Chee is probably the best choice to cover that aspect, and who I'd go for, as honestly that's what I think we'll miss most. Motty, McKenna and Doedee all have the ability to cover Kiddy's work getting the ball out of our D50, albeit in different ways. Motty especially is who I'm hoping will really step up, love everything about the way he plays and what he brings to our club, and I think this is a great opportunity for him to take his game to the next level.
Agree on Zorko if the coaches want another attacking halfback.
Zorko can't do the marking that Kiddy was so good at.
But as you mentioned Doedee can cover this when he gets a game.
Ah Chee would be fine but not an attacking halfback though.

Will be interesting on who the coaches decide to take Kiddys spot.

I agree AhChee is the best cover for the defensive aspect of Kiddy’s game.
Zorko is the best cover option for the offensive side of his game.
I personally think that the closest option to cover both def and offence is Carter Michael who is perennially unfit and never available unfortunately for him right now.
If he can get himself fit in the next few weeks and can come back and show some good footy he could be an option later in the year.

I agree AhChee is the best cover for the defensive aspect of Kiddy’s game.
Zorko is the best cover option for the offensive side of his game.
I personally think that the closest option to cover both def and offence is Carter Michael who is perennially unfit and never available unfortunately for him right now.
If he can get himself fit in the next few weeks and can come back and show some good footy he could be an option later in the year.

I'll be the first to admit my knowledge of our next tier/VFL players is lacking, so I can't really comment on Carter, but I'm all for looking at the younger/less experienced blokes to step up if they have the capability. As much as it hurts to lose kiddy, we have the depth in one way or another to cover him, and if there's any silver lining to this, it's that we have the whole season to find the right solution.

And I forgot Wilmot who potentially could be an A Grader. He's just as good as the class 4 or 5 years ahead of him. At this stage.
Wilmot is a jet and one of the few positive shining lights of our younger brigade. Some of his runs out of defence are super not to mention exciting to watch. Elements of Chris Johnson about his play.

Linc McCarthy as a very left field option. Is a good distributor, has that low penetrating kick and can take a grab and is a good tackler. Only downside is that I’ve never heard of him playing defence.

Is McKenna a definite for this week?

If not, we’re looking to fill two half back roles, as I wouldn’t want Berry playing back there again.
Is this the start of Berry being slowly shuffled out of the team.
Or trying to protect him just a little from being closer to the action on the wing in the early part of the season.
Either way, his shoulder is quite obviously ratshit!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back