Replacing Kiddy for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s Jaspa’s field kicking like on a consistent basis Briz? You probably saw it more during underage years. Haven’t really seen it a lot at senior level but is it solid enough to play the QB type role if required?

Very good user of the footy.

How was Brain down back in reserves last year?

He went from FAR down the pecking order to being close to a debut towards the end of the year. Hope he's had a big pre-season.

I think he is a good user but I dont think I've seen him take on a lot of risking kicks into the corridor or the like. I wonder if he mostly plays it safe or its just him playing off the wing means its pretty straight line inside 50

Think he's very diligent in his role above all else.

I wonder with the Kiddy injury and the lack of a like for like replacement with the same foot skills, whether we revert to having Charlie play as the deepest forward a bit more, and trying to get him out into space over the back of teams. We played this way in his breakout year in 2019, and I do wonder whether we should set up with 3 running HB's instead to try and implement this a bit more again. I don't believe we have the foot skills to pick teams apart bringing the ball down the field, especially without Kiddy back there.

I guess the only issue is, that whilst still incredibly fast, Charlie at 30 probably doesn't have the same speed as he did at 25. We saw Saad be able to match him in this area last week, for example.

I wonder with the Kiddy injury and the lack of a like for like replacement with the same foot skills, whether we revert to having Charlie play as the deepest forward a bit more, and trying to get him out into space over the back of teams. We played this way in his breakout year in 2019, and I do wonder whether we should set up with 3 running HB's instead to try and implement this a bit more again. I don't believe we have the foot skills to pick teams apart bringing the ball down the field, especially without Kiddy back there.

I guess the only issue is, that whilst still incredibly fast, Charlie at 30 probably doesn't have the same speed as he did at 25. We saw Saad be able to match him in this area last week, for example.

Saad is very very quick though. Has consistently been one of the few players fast enough to keep up with Charlie.

Saad is very very quick though. Has consistently been one of the few players fast enough to keep up with Charlie.
Charlie averages about 1.6 goals against Carlton, about equal fourth worst after Sydney (one goal per game), Port (1.4 - most games were with Adelaide), and Essendon (1.5). Saad is a big part of that as he consistently takes that matchup.

Oh my word I hope this is the very last thing we try. It didn't work last week, it has a history of not working out, ESPECIALLY when we played Freo in 2022.

We simply need more from our key forwards in terms of creating a contest inside 50, and better connectivity between the lines allowing us to (a) get the ball down there and then (b) get the little blokes front and centre when it does.

Charlie averages about 1.6 goals against Carlton, about equal fourth worst after Sydney (one goal per game), Port (1.4 - most games were with Adelaide), and Essendon (1.5). Saad is a big part of that as he consistently takes that matchup.

Reckon Charlie got Saad once, one of the covid games at Metricon against Essendon? Otherwise he's been very quiet against him. Carlton played Newman on him during the H&A game last year at marvel when Charlie kicked 4 I think; then switched it to saad for the prelim and he was pretty quiet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tbf charlie should have kicked 3+ in each if our last 2 games against carlton where saad went to him, gave charlie absolute gimme shots for goal and he just couldnt convert

Yeah Charlie's accuracy has been quietly a bit brutal for a while. He's stuffing up a lot of snaps he'd have slotted in his sleep for years, oftentimes not scoring at all. His set shot kicking was good for most of last year so hopefully last week was an aberration.

Yeah Charlie's accuracy has been quietly a bit brutal for a while. He's stuffing up a lot of snaps he'd have slotted in his sleep for years, oftentimes not scoring at all. His set shot kicking was good for most of last year so hopefully last week was an aberration.
that kick from coleman from outside 50 past carltons web defence and to charlies advantage where it hit him right on the tit was poetry in motion. had a shot 10 metres out slight angle and fluffed it.

cant rewatch it makes me sad thinking thats the type of kick we will be without for the rest of the season

I never witnessed it but there were a few on here that said he was impressive down back.
I was impressed with his training the few times i attended.
Was also solid in the intraclub that i saw.
Because of his injury issues best to see how he goes at VFL level and how he pulls up.
He has developed into a good-sized AFL player being on our list for a while.

I like the idea mentioned by some of keeping Lester in once Doedee returns allowing Doedee to play looser and float across for intercepts and utilise his elite kicking skills exiting defensive 50. Andrews, Payne/Gardiner, Lester, Doedee, Starcevich, Wilmot and McKenna as the back 7. Payne to replace Gardiner if he builds up form and confidence in the VFL.

Forgot about Brain, did show some good signs in the reserves.

Nowhere near Kiddys level, particularly his elite distribution by foot but at least we have a lot of options in that area of the ground. eg. Madden, Prior, Answerth, Brain, Michael, Ah Chee.

One solution I don't want is playing all 4 of Andrews, Payne, Gardiner and Lester in the back 7.
That one has been potentially solved by selection this week.

Our strongest defensive line up at present is:
FB Gardiner, Andrews, Starcevich
HB McKenna, Lester, Wilmott

With Ah Chee and possibly Zorko on interchange in the defensive rotation. Prior and Answerth also come into the selection mix.

Once Doedee is available, our best defence would be:
FB Gardiner, Andrews, Starcevich,
HB McKenna, Lester, Doedee

With Wilmott a LOCK in the defensive rotation and Ah Chee available. Zorko, Prior or Answerth are again available to be selected for a defensive role if required.

I’m very much in the Doedee or Lester “camp”. Don’t believe we can play both for an extended period of games.
Yep, I don't like the look of all 4 of Andrews, Doedee, Lester and Gardiner in the same back line... then you have the possibility/hope that Jack Payne can find his best form, if he does he is a lock IMO.

Doedee and Starcevich are both 187cm and with Lester having cemented himself, alongside Andrews as our most important “tall” defender, there is no reason to presume Doedee coming in will be at Lester’s expense.

Doedee and Starcevich are both 187cm and with Lester having cemented himself, alongside Andrews as our most important “tall” defender, there is no reason to presume Doedee coming in will be at Lester’s expense.
Footy wire and lions.com both have Doedee at 190cm.... every centimetre counts 3KZ.🍆

Remove this Banner Ad

Back