Training Report 6 july

Remove this Banner Ad

northpie

All Australian
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi all
Down from Sydney today with my son and what a morning to introduce him to the Holden centre with a solid school holiday crowd and the sun shining
Warm ups were followed by general play clearance and spread drills, then a split into fwds mid and def groups for specific drills, followed by match sim. Finished off with some more in close clearance work in mid v mid and fwd v def groups.

Not a lot to report on what appeared a pretty leisurely training run but a couple of highlights/ lowlights
1. Darcy did approx 10 half pace run throughs and doesn't look likely to play
2. Treloar barely completed 1 run through and was hobbling before and after that, before heading straight back into rooms. They have obviously been managing him through the last few weeks with this hip complaint, and perhaps this is a normal routine to get up for the Saturday game, but if he does he is certainly a way off 100 percent
3. Pendles watched the whole training except for the match simulation in which he was very prominent . Guessing that is normal process for him to have light load as season goes on?
4. Howe did the warm ups at full tilt but then did a couple of run throughs with Oxley and then treloar before heading into rooms
Again not sure if that management or he has something troubling him
5. Ben Reid looked sharp and practiced as a forward in every exercise including match simulation , so guessing he replaces Darcy up forward
6. Cox was really impressive throughout training, and was especially prominent in match sim as a marking target. His goal kicking was excellent and watching live for the first time he has more distance in his kicking than I thought after only watching him on tv. He was first on and last to leave the training track finishing off one on one marking contests with grundy for twenty minutes after everyone else bar Shaz had left the field ( he then spent 30 plus minutes signing autograph talking to fans including us, and comes across as a great bloke)
7. To shaz. Again only been to one training but was really interested in his spending so much time on goal kicking practice. He joined the forwards for the goal kicking drills and practiced alone for a long time after training . Call Me crazy but I am calling he will line up in the forward line this week. Maybe club realised we have a lot of med sized backs and want to give this a go. Time will tell.
8. Varcoe looks good to go and moved well throughout the morning
9. Wells played for the reserves in match sim , and whilst not overly prominent did move ok albeit not at blistering speed. Maybe 2 weeks away
10.A worrying feature of match sim was the senior team being pushed wide and sideways and then getting scored on in fast rebound from turnovers. Remind anyone of what we have seen continually in the real stuff in 2017( )
other points:
Mayne looked listless all training and played in the seconds for match sim
Kirby is a long way off fitness wise and couldn't keep up with transition during match sim. I have been a fan of giving him a crack but he just doesn't look ready. Maybe when season is over mathematically
Young Daicos looked sharp and skillfull throughout and is surely a future answer for our dearth of true crumbing fwds
Ramsay was playing in seconds in match sim so maybe he is out of saturdays line up. He didn't touch the ball too often
Degoey was impressive in all clearance exercises and during sim.
Interesting watching he and Sier going at it in ball up clearance work. Whilst Degoey touched him up, one thing I did notice was Sier is enormous and was extremely quick over 5 yards leaving Degoey behind a couple of times. I hear he has not been getting many touches in the 2s but if he can develop that his physical attributes would make him a dangerous proposition. I would be giving him another year to see how he develops with a full preseason

That's all folks.
Look forward to being at the G with my young bloke on Saturday , and watching the pies get something out of 2017 by evening ip the score with the bombers for the year
Go pies

Last edited:

Would assume from this report it will be Varcoe in for Ramsay, Reid for Moore, and maybe Scharenberg in as a forward with Treloar out injured and someone like Greenwood being put in the middle?

I like the idea of trialling Berg forward. He was used as a utility in his draft year, so it's not completely foreign to him, but I would have thought he'd be given a few VFL games in the position as a trial before being used there in the seniors.

Would assume from this report it will be Varcoe in for Ramsay, Reid for Moore, and maybe Scharenberg in as a forward with Treloar out injured and someone like Greenwood being put in the middle?

I like the idea of trialling Berg forward. He was used as a utility in his draft year, so it's not completely foreign to him, but I would have thought he'd be given a few VFL games in the position as a trial before being used there in the seniors.
You might be right on playing a few in the Reserves in that role if indeed that is what is planned. Keefe was solid in training and was in firsts team in match sim. There has been talk of him playing fwd in the senior Rs, but can't imagine is taking keefe cox and Reid into the same fwd line.

Treloar "hip complaint"

cough OP
Don't think so Kappa although I am no expert. I would have thought op would leave treloar walking evenly but with a limited gait. He walked clearly favouring one side of his body with an ungainly limp.
Not sure it matters one way or the other

Treloar played last week and should play again this week although obviously constrained by a hip or groin complaint.

The worrying signs in the match sims at training is that the players still turn over the ball, so it is no surprise they do it on match day. Crisp and Langdon are two offenders. Adams and Sidebottom, who have done it on match days, looked OK. The main focus in the off season should be to eliminate the disposal errors of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might be right on playing a few in the Reserves in that role if indeed that is what is planned. Keefe was solid in training and was in firsts team in match sim. There has been talk of him playing fwd in the senior Rs, but can't imagine is taking keefe cox and Reid into the same fwd line.
Loved your report.
Didn't know you were a Sydney North pie, but then why would I?

Really interesting snippets.

And ofcourse you're right, the Berger boy is all class :)

Treloar played last week and should play again this week although obviously constrained by a hip or groin complaint.

The worrying signs in the match sims at training is that the players still turn over the ball, so it is no surprise they do it on match day. Crisp and Langdon are two offenders. Adams and Sidebottom, who have done it on match days, looked OK. The main focus in the off season should be to eliminate the disposal errors of the team.
Agree 100 pct BIMH. Firsts team didn't attempt aggressive play on at ll costs at any stage and continued to go wide and backwards. Play like you practice ? I hope not or Saturday will be a long day and my wife who is mad Essendon will be difficult to sit next to

Agree 100 pct BIMH. Firsts team didn't attempt aggressive play on at ll costs at any stage and continued to go wide and backwards. Play like you practice ? I hope not or Saturday will be a long day and my wife who is mad Essendon will be difficult to sit next to
So you married an Essendon supporter.
giphy.gif

So you married an Essendon supporter.
giphy.gif
Did it by choice apparently. Don't think he got all his kids over to Collingwood also. Double shame.

GC might be the pot calling the kettle black ottoman. Think you might find some hawks in his magpie nest
Were in the nest. No longer, I didn't tolerate it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back