tayls

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2004
Ablett Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Geelong
I would like to know how training went this morning. Was anyone there who saw it or heard about it, let us know how the boys went.
Did Nathan turn up?
How did Otto go?
Did anyone come back fat?
Who blitzed?
I know this is early as training starts at 9am, but i'm getting in early.

I was under the impression training officially began next week for players with under 4 years experience and the week after for the rest of the squad...

*koulagirl said:
I was under the impression training officially began next week for players with under 4 years experience and the week after for the rest of the squad...

To my understanding training begins on the 10th; today.

Ablett's first steps
Sportal

Nathan Ablett, the second son of Geelong legend Gary Ablett, has taken the most significant steps of his life to date towards following the path of his famous dad after completing his first training session with the Cats on Wednesday.

The scene - a Geelong cricket ground, which was at times shared by a groundsman mowing the pitch and school girls completing cricket training - was decidedly low-key. But the occasion, for both the Cats and the younger of the Ablett boys, who until only weeks ago had shunned the prospect of playing senior football, was considerable.

Flanked by his elder brother Gary and the club's new and developing players, the 18-year-old's physical appearance was as conspicuousness as his famed surname. A budding key position player, he stands at 191-centimetres, boasting an 11-centimetre advantage over his brother, and has equally outstanding blond hair.

And before a scattering of about 50 onlookers, he completed light skills and running for about 30 minutes before jumping the fence and returning to the confines of the club.

For Cats coach Mark Thompson, who has successfully groomed Gary Ablett as a footballer and helped supervise a young man distinguished for his lineage and remarkable talent, this was a thrilling moment.

"I must admit I've been looking forward to today to see all the boys train, but especially Nathan catch the ball and put a Geelong training top on and a pair of boots. It's pretty exciting for us."

"We're just going to integrate him into the group (with) no special attention. We'll just get him out there. He'll probably have a kick today and a catch and it will be the first time I see him kick the ball so I'm very excited about that," he said.

After years of resisting Geelong's advances, Ablett recently agreed to be drafted under the father/son rule. Thompson said Nathan will expect to receive similar attention to his brother, who is entering his fourth year with the Cats.

"He's just going to have to get out there and face it."

"He knows it's coming and he'll know that he'll be in the news tonight and that's fair enough too because he's been pretty much a hidden person up until this point."

But with Gary jnr. having paved the way in the football world, the burden may be reduced on his sibling, according to Thompson.

"I don't think it will be much tougher. At least Gary can be there and give him some good advice. And it might ease the pressure on Gary to have two of them there. It's just great for Geelong."

"We'll just see how he goes. If he plays well enough to warrant a game of AFL we'll play him, otherwise we'll just do what we do with every other young boys that comes through the club."

catempire said:
....he completed light skills and running for about 30 minutes before jumping the fence and returning to the confines of the club.

Shouldn't this read "....he completed light skills and running for about 30 minutes before jumping the Hickey Stand and returning to the confines of the club."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back