Reports from U18 championships?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the summary Goalden.
Did you notice Scott Clayton there busy scribbling down notes and applauding Adam Cooney when he kicked those goals?

Originally posted by SCRAY72
Thanks for the summary Goalden.
Did you notice Scott Clayton there busy scribbling down notes and applauding Adam Cooney when he kicked those goals?

HAHA! I'm sure he was. That's the thing, it's exciting seeing the kid play, but in my heart I know Hawthorn won't get him. I can't see the Bulldogs overlooking him really.

Originally posted by Falconer02
Goalden Hawk on what you have seen who would you say would be the top 5 picks at the moment?

mmmmm....very tough.

I'd have to say Cooney and Bradley definitely. I still like Clarke, even though he hasn't had a great carnival so far he has kicked 7 goals and I've seen him play much better earlier in the year.

Maybe Brock McLean and Ryley Dunn? It all depends on who has the picks really. A key position player such as Chaplin or Watts could be in the mix as well. And Billy Morison and William Gayfer are both good KPP who have missed the carnival through injury. Probably not top 5, but good players.

But as I said, a lot depends on who has the draft picks.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk

- Chris Johnson went off in the 2nd quarter after doing bugger all. I presume he was injured.
Not concerned. Craig Cameron said not to expect much from him because of his shoulder injury.

Originally posted by lamby29
Not concerned. Craig Cameron said not to expect much from him because of his shoulder injury.

Yeah, that's what I assumed too. Apparently he got buried in a contest early in the game (can't recall it myself). I don't really understand why he is playing if he isn't fit myself. Something to do with being a sports scholarship with his school or something?

Don't think it's a bad thing if he doesn't have a huge carnival, might take a bit of pressure off after Caro's ridiculous article claiming "he was the best talent in WA." Funnily enough, I haven't seen her at any of the games yet, but no doubt she knows her under 18's.

I say all this of the assumption that he can play when fully fit of course.

As Goaldenhawk said Country changed their structure and it was very important. They were a bit too easy to pick the other day I thought and the surprise moves wouldve taken the opposition by surprise. Certainly switching Cosgriff into the backline and Chaplin into the forward line was a success, as was David Mundy on Luke Herrington. Mundy is 13cm taller but played him well from in front, his awareness of what Herrington was going to do was outstanding. Stewart struggled early with Cosgriff as his opponent and was benched halfway through the first quarter, but came back in the second quarter and was impressive. His marking is definately the strength in his game.

Pat Travers coming in helped Country as well - a high possession player most weeks in the TAC Cup, he wouldve had a fairly high possession game today.

Ericksen from Vic Metro will probably be drafted at his height, but he just doesn't get enough of the footy around the ground.

Chaplin had a few shots at goal and steered through four, possibly a couple of misses as well.

Kane Tenace showed a touch of class a few times, and while the point Goaldenhawk makes about him being a bit in and out of games is a good one, I think the quick running, agile dodging sideways stuff will impress clubs a lot.

Sylvia looks to be unfit with the OP and shouldn't be playing.

I think from Country the three who did themselves no harm looking to draft day were Mundy, Travers and Cosgriff.

In the second game Cooney, Cooney and Cooney. He kicked two amazing goals. I wonder when he will get a haircut though?

Surjan from WA hasn't been too bad either. He seems capable of taking a good mark which helps for a player at 179cm.

Chris Johnson was quiet again, disappointing for Demons supporters who are likely to see him taken father/son, but he went into the Championships with a shoulder injury so we are probably not seeing him at his best.

The replays on Fox Footy will be good because I was too lazy to be taking notes today :)

Yeah, that's what I assumed too. Apparently he got buried in a contest early in the game (can't recall it myself). I don't really understand why he is playing if he isn't fit myself. Something to do with being a sports scholarship with his school or something?

Don't think it's a bad thing if he doesn't have a huge carnival, might take a bit of pressure off after Caro's ridiculous article claiming "he was the best talent in WA." Funnily enough, I haven't seen her at any of the games yet, but no doubt she knows her under 18's.

I say all this of the assumption that he can play when fully fit of course.
I think he will still be drafted by Melbourne, but do you think it is a bit concerning that he is extemely injury prone for a 17 year old?

Caro's ridiculous article claiming "he was the best talent in WA." Funnily enough, I haven't seen her at any of the games yet, but no doubt she knows her under 18's.
hahaha, I'll always remember her comment last year on Talking Footy when she was trying to justify an argument - "I get around to the U18 games, I saw him as a junior". I have never seen her at any U18 game in the last three years.

Yes, Chris Johnson was buried in a contest early in the game in the forward line near where I was sitting at the time.

BTW, great crowd there for the Vic M v Vic C game.

SA v WA
SA by 10 points in a bit of a surprise, just too even across the ground.

What was the weather over there? Did WA play all their talls 193cm, Matthew Spencer
198cm, Brent Hall
And big Llane Spaanderman, with his 199cm and 100kg body?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Falconer02
When and where is the sixteens carnival this year and does anyone know if the WA team has been finalised because 2 or 3 people i know are in the squad.
Adelaide, end of July.

I was at both games today, I must concur with Goalden Hawk on number 9 from Vic Country, Pat Travers, I like that kid. He is a very economical midfielder who knows where to get the ball and what to do with it. Made a few errors but he had plenty of the ball to do so. I think this kid would really thrive in the AFL system.

On my first view of McQualter I wasn't impressed, saw flickers of brilliance but he didn't impress me with his application and overly confident attitude.

Despite their loss to SA I was very impressed with the running types of WA, apart from Ray, Surjan and Curley there were about six others I thought were good prospects. I hope my club know more about these kids.

Leaving the known prospects aside others I was impressed with were Beau Waters number 28 for SA - strong mark, a possible late round pick Andrew Walker number 16 for Vic Country - attack HBFlanker and for some reason I just liked the way he carried himself and moved - Dale May number 11 for Vic Metro.

Ran into a nice lady there today.

Lady: "My grandson's playing for SA".
Jim440: "Oh, really. Who?"
L: "Adam Cooney" (Jim440 falls slobbering at her feet). "Brisbane call every week, but he desperately wants to play for the Crows"
J: "You should buy a red, white and blue scarf now"
L: "Oh, I hope not. He really doesn't want to go to Melbourne. Brisbane would be OK, but he is dreading having to go to Melbourne".

Originally posted by jim440

L: "Adam Cooney" (Jim440 falls slobbering at her feet). "Brisbane call every week, but he desperately wants to play for the Crows"
L: "Oh, I hope not. He really doesn't want to go to Melbourne. Brisbane would be OK, but he is dreading having to go to Melbourne".

Crows have no hope, unless they can find someone to give them a 1 or 2 pick for Carey ;)

Brisbane being so interested surprises me also, as they would have to unload some top talent to get him as well (probably have to get more than they did for Headland).

Originally posted by Port01

Brisbane being so interested surprises me also, as they would have to unload some top talent to get him as well (probably have to get more than they did for Headland).
I am sure we could accomadate Jonathan Brown:)

Originally posted by jim440

I love to hear that. So I can live in hope that in 2006 Cooney will wear navy, red and gold hoops.:D

My take on a few things

From Metro, Shaw, Fredricks and Watts can all play. Fredricks was very effective in providing stabilty in the backline and used the ball very well.

Another one that impressed was Eddie Betts.

Country were probably the better 'team' and guys like Chaplin and Travers excelled.

The SA vs WA was a cracker. Adam Cooney a gun. Goes to all the right spots and when he gets the ball, he doesn't waste it.
Little Harry Miller is a bit of a opportunist. Had a purple patch for a while there.

Kepler Bradley will become a fan favourite wherever he goes. His stance, running style and body figure is so distinguishable. He almost looks like he doesn't belong on a footy field, but he used his height well and took a load of marks.

Spencer and Moody are likable prospects.

My favourite for the day was a little fella named Daniel Chidlow of WA. He might not get drafted, it's too hard to tell from one view of him. He was tough, gutsy, quick and got a bit of it. The fact that he is the same height as my favourite player Chance Bateman was just a coincidence. I might be hyping him up just a bit, but he did well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back