Reports from U18 championships? | Page 7 | BigFooty

Reports from U18 championships?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by Chops, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Kid Dynamite!

Kid Dynamite! Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Port Adelaide
    I'd say he's about a 80/20 chance, and it wouldnt surprise me if Port had their eye on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. GOALden Hawk

GOALden Hawk Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    I only saw the VM v WA game on tape, so can't comment on the other game, but VC are the Div 1 champions:

- Herrington put on a show, 9.2 from 11 kicks, including 7 before half-time. It was an amazing display. WA played him poorly, but he should get drafted now.

- Ray was good for WA, still doesn't steady when kicking, but is genuinely dual footed. Should be remembered his man Georgios had a lot of the ball too.

- Bradley was OK, surprised he won the medal (Cooney probably was a certainity until getting injured).

- Hall is a ruckman, Kevin Sheahan was pumping him up. Think he will be OK, but he is very clumsy and careless.

- I don't think it was any coincedence that VM dropped Ericksen and promptly won by 100 points.

- Eddie Betts was electric. There will be a lot of debate next year over whether he will get drafted (170cm and 62kg) - I hope he plays on the ball to prove himself there.

- Fergus Watts may have pushed himself into a top 10 pick with his game today, awesome. His willingness to put his body on the line is inspirational.

- Brock McLean is probably the smartest under-18 footballer in the country. Big call, but he is going to be a player. Worth a top 5 easily.

- Luke Peel finally showed me today why he is so highly rated. Great game out of defence.

3. GOALden Hawk

Hawthorn
    2003 All-Australian Under-18 team

NSW/ACT: Shaun Daly, Nick Potter
    Northern Territory: Tom Logan
    Queensland: Jake Furfaro
    South Australia: Adam Cooney, David Kellett, Brad Symes, Beau Waters, Josh Willoughby
    Vic Country: Troy Chaplin, Ryley Dunn, Colin Sylvia, Kane Tenace, Andrew Walker
    Victoria Metro: Eddie Betts, Ricky Dyson, Luke Herrington, Brock McLean, Brayden Shaw, Fergus Watts
    Western Australia: Kepler Bradley, Farren Ray
    Coach: Leon Harris (Vic Country)
    Assistant Coach: Rod Carter (NSW/ACT) 2003

National AFL Under-18 championships medallists: Larke Medal (Division One – best player): Kepler Bradley (Western Australia)

Harrison Medal (Division Two – best player): Jake Furfaro (Queensland)2003

National AFL Under-18 championships – most valuable players:
    NSW/ACT: Shaun Daly
    Northern Territory: Cameron Ilett
    Queensland: Jake Furfaro
    South Australia: Brad Symes
    Tasmania: Brett Robinson
    Vic Country: Andrew Walker
    Vic Metro: Luke Herrington

4. Sera

Sera Club Legend

Other Teams:
    Fremantle Dockers
    I already posted this ;)

Interesting that Moody was All-Australian last year but not this year. Has he gone backwards?

5. Kid Dynamite!

Kid Dynamite! Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Port Adelaide
    Interesting decision that one. Should it have gone to Cooney?

This Luke Herrington kid sounds like he's going to be a real gem. People are querying his size - but you have to remember the same thing happened with Schammer last year. He might fill out a bit yet, who knows.

6. GOALden Hawk

Hawthorn
    Cooney hurt his groin early in today's game, so he couldn't really win it. Symes was excellent in the 2 games I saw, didn't know much about him but he really impressed me.

Difference is, Herrington is a full forward and nothing else. David Mundy showed how to shut him down on Wednesday by playing him in front.

He will be drafted now, no doubt. But it probably won't be until later on. One thing's for sure, he will be an absolute cult hero whereever he goes!

7. The Passenger

The Passenger Mr. Mojo Risin'

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Pittsburgh Penguins, Dallas Cowboys
    ahhh yes he missed out as well, along with Raphael Clarke.

As for Beau Waters, being in the U/18 AA team should make it more than probably he'll get drafted.

how often do guys make that team but not get drafted?? anyone know the stats are some sort of ball park figure??

8. GOALden Hawk

Hawthorn
    Last year every player who was eligible to be drafted in the AA team was either drafted or put on a rookie list, apart from David Kellett.

So you would suggest most of those guys will be on a list next year.

9. BigCat1

BigCat1 Club Legend

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    The Mighty Cats
    Let me say straight up that i havent seen any under 18 games apart from the Vic metro game on Foxtel yesterday.

Luke Peel stood out to me as a quality player. He just did everything right, was never beaten and his reading of the game was sensational. He is a good height and build and looked like he had some pace. He took some solid marks and his field kicking was good. Would love to snare him at my club.

Brock McLean also stood out to me as a natural footballer but everyone has been saything that. Another kid who showed glimpses was Clifton. He didnt do much but what he did was good. He looks a KPP even though he is very skinny. One of those 'project players'.

10. Weaver

Weaver Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Southampton
    And there lies the 'problem' with Clifton. He plays exactly that same game at club level and rep level. He always shows glimpses, he always looks to have potential, he just never seems to actually put together a genuinely good game. Bloody frustrating. Will get drafted though, just needs to find some intensity.

11. footyman

footyman Norm Smith Medallist

Gold Coast
    It would be interesting to know how many crumbing goals he kicked this week, compared to goals from marks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Patriots, Duke,
    I think he is a quality footballer who has slipped under the radar a little

13. shmardin

shmardin Team Captain

Other Teams:
    North Melbourne
    I was very impressed by Stewart and Stanton.....two of the lower profile prospects......Ray and Watts both played terrific games and McLean will be a star. On the other hand I am yet to be convinced that Bradley and Herrington are anything more than overhyped.

14. Football heaven

Football heaven Draftee

Other Teams:
    Kangaroos
    Robert Douglas

Dougo good mate of mind i believe one of the best defenders going around i believe he played very consistant through out the championships but there is no talk about him. The first 2 game i watch of vic metro his opponents did not kick more than 2 goals on him and he saved vic metro a couple of time deep in defence and even rebounded the to start the run for metro to set up goals.

I haven't his name i dunno wat is going on at cannons does he job at full back then even move foward and kicks goals he is a ver reliable player who can play any many positions so i wish uim luck with everything.

Though does anyone know how he went in the last vic metro game.

15. Stiffy_18

Stiffy_18 Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Sacramento Kings
    Can anyone tell me something about Brent Hall from WA?????? Is he chance of getting drafted and whereabouts as far as picks are concerned?????? Has he got potential to be a very good AFL ruckman or just a fill in??????

Cheers:)

16. footyman

footyman Norm Smith Medallist

Gold Coast
    Do you think the fact Sandringham Dragons don't play 16 year olds meant he missed that exposure last year? It is a strange policy they have down there.

Look at Calder and Brock McLean played a lot of games as a 16 year old last year, Brent Stanton and Chris Stewart played quite a few for Northern, even Daniel McConnell had half a dozen games for Eastern before his injury in the U16 carnival. But Luke Peel who could've easily played a few TAC Cup games didn't.

17. Weaver

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Southampton
    It would be close to 50-50. He really enjoyed playing alongside Watts who was crashing packs like it was the 1970s again. Created a lot of crumbs.

Herrington got quite a few goals from being 'aware' or 'active' choose whichever word you like. The play would break down, there would be a miskick snap on goal which would fall short, and Herrington would have eyes for the ball and snag it. In many cases his opponents had switched-off or where not paying attention.

18. Weaver

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Southampton
    Re: Robert Douglas

Douglas is a very reliable player. He plays mostly fullback and key positions but at 184cm he doesn't really have the size for that. There are very few pure-defenders recruited to the AFL and so Douglas will have to show that he can be an attacking, running player.

19. Weaver

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Southampton
    Peel is by no means under the radar. McLean is playing his 2nd year of TAC Cup, Peel is playing his first but is elligable to come back again next year if not drafted.

In fact he only makes the age cut-off for the draft by 4 days so will be one of the youngest players taken. He only turned 17 last month, so played enough footy at 16 to make the Vic Metro squad.

20. The Passenger

The Passenger Mr. Mojo Risin'

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Pittsburgh Penguins, Dallas Cowboys
    thats not the type of reports that would give great belief in him - kicking goals because his oppositiosn was caught napping. In the AFL few players can do that.