Reserved Seat Nightmares

Remove this Banner Ad

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The beauty of having reserved seats for each home game is the convenience of showing up to a match knowing you've got a seat of your very own waiting for you.

Unfortunately you also have to sit near the same people week after friggen week.

Last year I sat in front of this old granny who thought she knew everything and would not shut up for the whole season. She had her favourite players who could do no wrong and her villains who she always bagged regardless of what was actually happening on the field. She probably identified the player with the ball correctly about 20% of the time. Then halfway through the year an odour began drifting towards me that reeked of a dead cat rotting inside a condemned library. With the year the Doggies had, you can imagine how painful going to the footy became.

The year before that I sat near this 10 y.o. kid who was just as annoying. One game I was sitting on the opposite side of the ground, enjoying being away from him for a change. Then at half time he pops up on the big screen being interviewed by James Sherry ffs.

I know of other people who support Hawthorn and Carlton who have sat in their reserved seats once and never returned because of the accumulation of nuffies around them.

Anyone else share this pain?

In the AFL Reserve we sometimes have to sit near the fence that separates us from the common riff-raff in GA.

Sadly, the fence doesn't include a sound proof barrier or a one way glass, which means the peasants get to say things that we can hear, and see us while we look down our noses at them.

It's a horrible situation, I can assure you.

I can one-up you, OP.

I have an old granny behind me the brings either 2 or 3 grandchildren with her to every home game. Those little brats kick the seat non-stop, never stop talking, and incessantly whinge about not being given enough junk food, despite almost weighing as much as me. She never does anything to control them, despite numerous requests.

The granny herself is a nuisance of the highest order. Every 30 seconds she shrieks "kick it" in such a manner that would make a banshee sound like a small fart. Whenever a turnover is forced after a couple of handbills due to some good opposition pressure, she always has to say "see what happens when you stuff around and handball the thing?!", yet of course fails to acknowledge the numerous goals kicked as a result of good movement via short kicks or handballs, and that every time someone blindly kicks it forward, they manage to put it down an opposition player's throat.

To top it all off, there are a group of people that sit to the left of me, and they all have to get up and leave at every single break. That would be fine, except that they choose to always exit through the aisle on my right hand side, so are walking straight past me. A minor nuisance, yes, but can you imagine it happening during every break at every game, with them always coming back approximately 2-4 minutes into each quarter, at different times? I come to the footy to watch the match, not play a game of pseudo-magical chairs, getting up and down every 30 seconds whilst they finally get back from god knows where.

I've been in the same seats for 11 years now, and have some great people around me, but in these past couple of seasons I think I've managed to develop some homicidal tendencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First year I'll experience this - hope I get lucky. Some of these experiences scare me :oops:

My mate and myself have reserved seats for all home and away games in Melbourne for the pies.
First couple of seasons, our away seats at the 'G were in the Ponsford stand.
First game we rock up, get our seats, good view on the 2nd level. My mate has a spare seat to his right, beauty!
Unfortunately, theres an old couple, in atleast their 70s, sitting one seat down from him.
The old lady proceeds to tell us a story about how her best friend used to sit in the spare seat, but died the year before...great story.
Anyways, for the next 2-3 seasons, we had to listen to hear complain about the play, mind you this was 2010-11 when we hardly lost a game. Harry O was the main target of her abuse, and i strictly remember, her and the husband leaving early in the disgust, during the drawn game between Melbourne and Collingwood in 2010. Missed a draw the old bats!
Thankfully the club, called us prior to season 2012, and asked if we wanted to move seats, we accepted of course.

Then there is our home seats at the 'G. Second level of the southern. Generally older people in the area.
Again, my mate gets the s**t end of the stick. Has to sit next to an old man who is quite large, and doesn't give a s**t that his fat legs take up half my mates seat, so we are regularly crammed together. I have a spare seat to my left thankfully :)

Still yet to get a reserved seat next to a half decent looking female, this may be unattainable being a pies member with the lack of talent in our supporter base

Woman near me, all game, every game, "kick it!!!"

Another one to her husband "who's that?" "is he new?"

Women at the footy are the worst, absolutely no idea of how the game works.
Generally the get the comment, "kick it! kick it!" Player X kicks ball, turns it over. "Why did you kick it there for?"

Had the same seats for a few years and get to sit next to a well informed hotty who started to bring me snacks at the game and two young stunners in front of me who have the best behinds you can find and always jump up when we score a goal. Our run of victories last year made going to the footy just superb.

So yeah, happy with my seat.

Oh the joy of an MCC membership.

They could invent a seat rotation policy, whereby you are in the same bays but the seats move around a bit, or if they thread gains traction you could do a trade with another member. Someone might be happy to trade smelly old lady for annoying brat kids.

The beauty of having reserved seats for each home game is the convenience of showing up to a match knowing you've got a seat of your very own waiting for you.

Unfortunately you also have to sit near the same people week after friggen week.

Last year I sat in front of this old granny who thought she knew everything and would not shut up for the whole season. She had her favourite players who could do no wrong and her villains who she always bagged regardless of what was actually happening on the field. She probably identified the player with the ball correctly about 20% of the time. Then halfway through the year an odour began drifting towards me that reeked of a dead cat rotting inside a condemned library. With the year the Doggies had, you can imagine how painful going to the footy became.

The year before that I sat near this 10 y.o. kid who was just as annoying. One game I was sitting on the opposite side of the ground, enjoying being away from him for a change. Then at half time he pops up on the big screen being interviewed by James Sherry ffs.

I know of other people who support Hawthorn and Carlton who have sat in their reserved seats once and never returned because of the accumulation of nuffies around them.

Anyone else share this pain?
Did you think the locals at Footscray were all the well spoken, highly educated, refined, 3 piece suit wearing types, that always mind their manners?

Did you think the locals at Footscray were all the well spoken, highly educated, refined, 3 piece suit wearing types, that always mind their manners?

I think the OP was claiming the granny must have killed the kid and put the body in her knitting bag. The smell was when decay set it. I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back