Preview Resetting the mechanism 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Graham Cornes: They MUST have a review and it MUST be external. Because of you do it yourself you will be too soft.

Nek minnit: I'm not saying anyone should be sacked or heads should roll. Maybe a board member should chair it. Rob Chapman must have connections who could carry it out.

What a blithering idiot.

His brain must resemble a camel's scrotum as much as his face does.

He had me with this:

This is my theory,” Cornesy told FIVEaa. “The Grand Final loss didn’t hurt them enough… the way they came back, they didn’t come back with any purpose or determination.”
“The bottom line is they didn’t come back with a stronger resolve to go one better. They thought it would just happen.
“The pre-season in hindsight was a disgrace, that they should come back not in a fit shape.
“We don’t know what’s gone wrong with the high performance program, why all those hamstring injuries.
“There has to be a review. It has to be independent and it has to be external. You can’t review yourself… and you’ve got to be prepared to cop the criticism and accept the responsibility for it.

But then... This not so much-

"We’re not saying people should be sacked or heads will roll, but you’ve got to identify the mistakes and you’ve got to own the mistakes. Someone’s got to be responsible and somebody’s got to accept that responsibility.”

See sacking thread.

Unfortunately it looks like we've pretty much done a Bulldogs without the flag to go with it. If we make serious changes by cutting off-field and on-field dead wood, and hit this draft hard, maybe we can do a Richmond and go from 13th to the flag.

This next 12-14 weeks could arguably be the most important time the AFC has had in terms of list management since Malcolm Blight came to the club. And realistically we need a Malcolm Blight type personality to come in a make some very unpopular calls for the club. The good news is the list's core is strong and capable of playing finals right now, but we need to get to the next echelon in this competition. And you don't get their by maintaining the status quo.

If that means telling older players they won't be required, do it.
If that means trading players that were just contracted, do it.
If that means convincing fringe players to seek a trade to guarantee playing time, do it.
If it means firing large portion of your football/coaching department, do it.
If that means aggressively targeting FA and Draftee's and paying overs to get it done, do it.

The definition of insanity is doing the same over and over and expecting a different result. And we just can't afford to be that way this offseason!

Change is coming!

If that means telling older players they won't be required, do it. - WON'T HAPPEN
If that means trading players that were just contracted, do it. - WON'T HAPPEN
If that means convincing fringe players to seek a trade to guarantee playing time, do it. - MAYBE, WE DID IT WITH LYONS
If it means firing large portion of your football/coaching department, do it.- WON'T HAPPEN
If that means aggressively targeting FA and Draftee's and paying overs to get it done, do it. - MIGHT PAY OVERS IN A TRADE, WON'T PAY OVERS TO THE PLAYER

If that means telling older players they won't be required, do it. - WON'T HAPPEN
If that means trading players that were just contracted, do it. - WON'T HAPPEN
If that means convincing fringe players to seek a trade to guarantee playing time, do it. - MAYBE, WE DID IT WITH LYONS
If it means firing large portion of your football/coaching department, do it.- WON'T HAPPEN
If that means aggressively targeting FA and Draftee's and paying overs to get it done, do it. - MIGHT PAY OVERS IN A TRADE, WON'T PAY OVERS TO THE PLAYER
The fact you can predict these outcomes with such certainty is the precise reason we need someone to come into the club with the balls to make unpopular decisions. Otherwise they would just be called ‘decisions’, and any old chump can make them!

www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/brett-burton-returns-to-adelaide-crows-as-fitness-boss-nick-poulos-joins-rugby-sevens/news-story/91ff0e284c4af7b61fda8c16953ed273

Nick Poulos left us to head the fitness of the Australian Rugby Sevens.

If Hass or Burton applied for the national rugby job Poulos landed how would they have gone?
Would the rugby team hired either of them, would they have had the necessary qualifications and experience for the role?
Were Burton & Hass the best people for the right seats, or are the AFC just making easy comfortable decisions, getting in the old boys/mates?

www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/brett-burton-returns-to-adelaide-crows-as-fitness-boss-nick-poulos-joins-rugby-sevens/news-story/91ff0e284c4af7b61fda8c16953ed273

If Hass or Burton applied for the national rugby job Poulos landed how would they have gone?
Would the rugby team hired either of them, would they have had the necessary qualifications and experience for the role?
Were Burton & Hass the best people for the right seats, or are the AFC just making easy comfortable decisions, getting in the old boys/mates?
I think we all know the answer to that. Adelaide as a football club need to make some tough decisions with a few coach’s and players, and we all know it won’t happen

ive heard from someone who would have somewhat reasonable info in that area that Poulous wanted to stay.
Apparently he is from here or has family here and had just had a child but we offered him a reduced role on a part time basis that he simply couldnt afford to accept in his personal situation.
I haven't looked into any of it to see how true may be (some of it would be easy enough to verify to some extent I guess) so take it as you please. As I say, they would have some potential to know based on a past role but not certain of how heavily to read into it

Graham Cornes: They MUST have a review and it MUST be external. Because of you do it yourself you will be too soft.

Nek minnit: I'm not saying anyone should be sacked or heads should roll. Maybe a board member should chair it. Rob Chapman must have connections who could carry it out.

What a blithering idiot.

His brain must resemble a camel's scrotum as much as his face does.

It's hard to back peddle because you've been worded by the club and still look like you're not a complete idiot. Rowey has had to do complete 180's in the past, but he's an idiot from the get go and he uses that, so it doesn't matter too much. Wrinkles isn't an idiot, he's a bit past it with some of his views, but he's not a complete moron. About facing like that makes him look it, but then that comes with the Ambassador title.

ive heard from someone who would have somewhat reasonable info in that area that Poulous wanted to stay.
Apparently he is from here or has family here and had just had a child but we offered him a reduced role on a part time basis that he simply couldnt afford to accept in his personal situation.
I haven't looked into any of it to see how true may be (some of it would be easy enough to verify to some extent I guess) so take it as you please. As I say, they would have some potential to know based on a past role but not certain of how heavily to read into it
I think he would have stayed even in his reduced role, but going back to the sport he loves in a national role was a pretty good option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he would have stayed even in his reduced role, but going back to the sport he loves in a national role was a pretty good option

As would getting out from under the train wreck that would be Burton and not having his name associated with our s**t show would be. It's not that big an industry that these people don't all know each other pretty much inside out. Publicly, every single AFL club employee is highly regarded and great at what they do. But reality is very different.

Worst fears pretty much confirmed by Rowe and Graham Cornes today that it will only be an internal review and Burton is guaranteed to stay. Both have close ties and are basically mouthpieces for the club so no reason to doubt them.

The only way to improve is therefore to improve onfield.

Milera needs to go to the midfield. Two of our biggest long term weaknesses are 1) lack of speed and defensive pressure in the midfield making life hard on our defenders due to a lack of dirty ball, and 2) lack of precision ball going inside 50 making life hard for our forwards.

Milera into the mids goes some way to addressing both issues.

Will we do it? Probably not.

Campo will most likely survive the review, if not chair it, and he's a dinosaur with a hard on for slow muscly midfielders who handball a lot and hack kick forward.

This can work if you have a Tippett to clunk it or an in form Betts to turn dirty crumbs into goals. But we have neither now.

We need to rethink our midfield philosophy.

I would also permanently drop Jacobs because he's cooked AF and make Jenkins our number 1 ruck. Hitouts have been shown not to be important by Richmond, who come rank last in hitouts TA.

Jenkins has improved a lot in his contested game this year, but most importantly, unlike sauce Jenkins can run, is good at ground level and will get more than 10 possessions, which is the modern ruck model. Also opens a spot forward for Fog or Himmers.

We need to change onfield, because there will be no changes off it.

I rate Caro, she has just given us Crows fans the biggest salvo at Burton.

If Roo can sustain this it will be interesting
They'll just see it as affirmation for their policy of bunkering down against the media

No one knows better than those inside the four walls etc

Rutten going to Essendon according to Caro.

Clearly we need a new fitness coach. But I actually think we not only need someone who is highly skilled, but also someone who has a high profile. Make the players believe they’re indestructible, ala 2014 port under Burgess.

We need to be running over teams and players like Tex need to lose weight and cover the ground like he’s never done before.

That’ll get us back to the top 4

Did you see Walker has already had his foot operated on. This erupted 2017 and has taken 18 odd months to be dealt with. Possibly if this was done early on we could have had 12-15 months of good Tex, instead of 18 months with a hobbled manager taking up a spot in the forward lines, directing the others but not contributing physically himself.

Someone give me odds on Van Berlo being Campos replacement

Bit busy at the moment coaching the Eagles midfield in the finals.

Great call though, take shots at the one coach we had that was head hunted by a successful club you plonk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back