Multiplat Resident Evil Village

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoroughly enjoying the game, however, it is nowhere near as tense as Resident Evil 7.
This is the big thing for me atm. I'm enjoying it still somewhat, mainly for the zany ridiculousness that is the characters and story, not so much the gameplay side of things.

They really cut back though on the tense, atmospheric nature that 7 was.

5 minutes in you get weapons and it's clear from that point, this is an action based-horror game, not a horror game. According to the devs, feedback from 7 was that it was "too scary". What the hell is a horror game meant to be, if not scary?

It sort of feels a bit like the RE6 from RE5 debacle. Although definitely nowhere near as horribly targeted and focused. But it feels like they went the path of what they thought would sell more copies again and have chosen the wrong path. Although I think the incredibly marketing around Lady D has probably ensured that the game will end up selling really well anyway.

I thought RE7 was very well received by users and critics alike (at least the first 75%, not the last 25% of shitness - which is almost what this game took as the 'best part' of RE7 and went "yeah, more of that"). Why did they feel the need to change up that formula that worked so well and arguably actually made Resident Evil a name again?!

I don't currently dislike RE8, but it's somewhat a drastic turn from what I was expecting or hoping for.

About 2 hours in now. Enjoying it so far but honestly, this is so far away from what Resident Evil once was it may as well be called something else!

I'd kill for a new "old style" RE game using the RE2 remake engine.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's basically the style, setting and intensity of RE4 but in first person. Not a bad thing and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Yes RE7 is scarier and had more wow factor at the time, but I can see myself replaying this one much more as a completionist.

May 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just finished it, overall it's a 9/10 game.

Thoughts:
- The villain set pieces in each house is reminiscent of the Batman Arkham games.
- As a result there are issues with the theme of the game being all over the place, it feels like a patch quilt of over-the-top villains.
- I'd prefer if the theme of the RE games to stay parked within 1 lane, too many influences like Silent Hill and Batman Arkham City. The concept of RE is already far-fetched enough. I will always prefer the story arc of RE0-3 taking place in Raccoon City.
- Better than RE7, although RE7 is still a great game in its own right.
- RE7 tried to showcase the game engine more, whereas RE Village built on top of that and focused more on new features

Refunded my copy and used the money to buy Ratchet and Clank :thumbsu:

My brother has a copy so if I ever want to play it I'll just borrow his

Can I borrow it from your brother?

Finished this yesterday; bit short, story was lame but the game-play was a heap of fun.

The giant baby blob that chased me through the manor genuinely terrified me, and I like to think of myself as a seasoned horror and gore veteran. Absolutely ****ed up.

Finished this yesterday; bit short, story was lame but the game-play was a heap of fun.

The giant baby blob that chased me through the manor genuinely terrified me, and I like to think of myself as a seasoned horror and gore veteran. Absolutely f’ed up.

I saw a video of that and now I know I'll never play this game.

The giant baby blob that chased me through the manor genuinely terrified me, and I like to think of myself as a seasoned horror and gore veteran. Absolutely f’ed up.
Haha same here.

I'm almost done. Up to the final boss(s) I believe.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Finished this last night, I loved it, the boss fights weren’t fantastic but they were decent, everything else was great though, 8.5/10 from me.

Looking forward to where it goes from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back