Respect to Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Has come so far.

From FIGJAM to being arguably the respected dude in the comp. I really like Bucks and the way he speaks in general, gained respect on how he handled 2017 and gained more this year.

100% respect to Bucks today - a gracious loser and class act with how he talked to the cheer squad before the game and to the runner afterwards. Him and the club gave 100% today - like the Pies did in 2002 - Malthouse is very proud of that team coming 2nd and Bucks should be today.

Growing up i hated him, now with more sense i think he is one of the best coaches in the AFL. Just look at flogs like the Scott brothers, Ross lyon how they carry on theyre just w***ers. Bucks seems a down to earth guy, gets the most from his players and respects everyone.

Totally agree. His actions over the last few weeks have been impeccable.

Taking the time to console and thank the cheer squad when the banner collapsed was fantastic and revealed a real club man and caring person. Always thought of him as a FIGJAM but taking the time to thank and hug volunteers and supporters while preparing for the biggest game as a coach showed real class. As did his hugging the runner after the game when Buckley would have been shattered. Taking time to comfort others when he was hurting shows a lot about him.

Genuine bloke, much respect to him.

Buckley seems a lot more centred and happy within his own skin I guess this year.
He was asked during the week, about the moment when his son met him in the rooms after they beat us in the Prelim, and what that moment meant, and he responded with "I'll always be his dad, and he'll always be my son."

People are mentioning the cheersquad consoling and the runner, and yes, it is human qualities at the end of the day, but the context of the situation is a spotlight on his characteristics. In the former, he's not more than 10 minutes from a grand final beginning, and in the latter, he's just watched a premiership slip away in the final 80 seconds. It's a measurement of impeccable character that he did what he did.

He is a perfectionist by nature but he has learnt to calm down and have trust in others in addition to be gracious. The Queens Birthday dedication he made to that fiery will always stick with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of public perception this loss my be the best thing to happen to Buckley. Some of the criticism directed at Buckley in the past - and regards to his coaching - is that he did not have to work for his role. He was essentially handed this position because he was Nathan Buckley. Now we are seeing Buckley earn his reputation, and this loss is a part of his journey in doing that. I respect Buckley and I hope he coaches a flag in the future. He is very deserving of that. I say that as someone who was his biggest critic, but he has won me over this year.

The one year he has had success is the year he decided to copy Richmond and Hardwick lol........

Wouldn't have read about it two years ago. How funny

It was a Grand Final nobody deserved to lose. Gotta say that Bucks has come a long way for sure. They have a young team and they will go a long way in 2019 if they have the belief, can they prove what past grand final losers (of recent seasons) have not been able to do the following season. It is going to be hard work, you need to win enough games to make the finals first and enough games to finish with the double chance and there are going to be 18 teams desperate to win games next year, more than half those teams will be competitive for sure.

Totally agree.

He has really earned my respect this year. While I am super happy that the Eagles won ... He (and Varcoe) would have made me ok with the Pies winning a flag. Something I NEVER thought I would ever say :D

Well, for what it's worth (not a lot surely?) he has my respect and has had all year.

He's basically proved everything I thought about him wrong, Collingwood (at the beginning of the year anyway, thought they'd be average at best) with him.
It really was a shame that someone had to lose this game and I really hope that the Woods go one better next year.

edit: Oh and I'd have him in a heartbeat at my club over the flogwaffle we have now.

I never really understood the dislike people have for Buckley. I feel part of it was because he played for Collingwood. Plenty of players have done what he did and aren’t looked upon in much the same way he does.

Seems like a classy guy. I can see why Collingwood didn’t sack him; clearly has the club at his back.

The hate was purely because he was a superstar playing for Collingwood. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just quietly... why do people jizz themselves these days when somebody famous does something just decent?

I mean... Buckley comforting the cheer squad or the runner for a few seconds... it’s just basic good bloke stuff. He’s obviously not a prick... but there are endless things in the media and social media about how amazing he is...

Why? He’s just a standard good bloke. Good on him. But when did we start getting down on our knees for everybody who showed themselves to be just a person with common decency?

Are people’s general expectations of others so low?

You hate Collingwood, everybody gets it. Not every thread needs you to voice that discontent.

I'm not sure why but I've always liked Buckley and Eddie and never understood the bad press they often get from the football community.

Buckley alone has made Collingwood into a likeable team, I hated Malthouse and therefore hated Collingwood when he was in charge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back